"How's that for a Slice of Fried Gold?" 1:72 Lancaster B.II

Dunny

Hi All,

I was looking at the fuselage before ploughing on today, and just prior to installing the windows a little light bulb went on 💡 Should the windows be deleted? This is another veritable :worms:, as you will note if you wish to follow the below link:

Checking back through reference photos, you can see from the below shot that the WOp's window is visible, but the window ahead of it is not:

a4bcb8314391ec2e29b02d1d675da58c.jpg

If you look at the below image compared to the kit fuselage, between the trailing edge and the turret fairing there should be at least 2 windows visible (had they been there!)

49138076471_ba1b570ba3_b.jpg

20210103-112655.jpg

This is sufficient for me to conclude that the windows would have been deleted on all B.IIs given their relatively limited numbers. Tsk Tsk Auntie:

20210103-113227.jpg

Curiously though, the box art does not appear to have windows - mixed messages Auntie! I think I shall install the windows anyway, spray over them with interior green, and then use them as a base for filling and sanding. More to come later,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

I imagine it's because it will be the same fuselage as the BI/III hence their inclusion  in this kit.

Chris 

Chris,

Probably so - they could at least have told you to paint over the windows though!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elger said:

It really depends on the airframe though - if you do a Google image search of Lancaster IIs there's plenty of examples that also have the side windows. There's a photo of DS604 here that clearly shows that this still had the windows:

http://aircrewremembered.com/thomas-arthur.html

Good call Elger - too late now as I've eliminated mine (I think it's correct for Z-Zombie though). It is indeed a :worms:

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elger said:

It really depends on the airframe though - if you do a Google image search of Lancaster IIs there's plenty of examples that also have the side windows. There's a photo of DS604 here that clearly shows that this still had the windows:

http://aircrewremembered.com/thomas-arthur.html

Elger,

Also of note is the date of your reference - April 1943. I had assumed incorrectly that these aircraft had a brief service life, but they clearly lasted from this time for another 15-18 months. Perhaps the deletion of the windows did occur mid-production of the B.II,

Cheers,

Roger

Hi All,

Some more good progress today - this will grind to a halt tomorrow as I'm back to work (hi ho). Here's the pilot's seat (including the yellow spot of which we shall not speak 🤣😞

20210103-130150.jpg

I know some masters of their craft can whip up harnesses in great detail at 1:72, but this Tamiya tape is about my limit! I'm quite happy with the cockpit floor though - looks okay under a Flory 'Grime' wash. Here's the navigator's station added in, including Auntie;s 'Generic Map of NW Europe' decal - doesn't look too bad though):

20210103-141326.jpg

Also of note are the windows installed and sprayed. I didn't pay too much heed to cleaning them up. Because you won't see them. Because there aren't any windows. Spraying them was more to remind myself to fill the outsides :banghead:.

Almost ready to button up the fuselage, I just checked on these lights. Apparently they are identification lights, and the below thread informs me that the correct sequence is red, green, amber forward-aft:

Thinned coats of each duly applied (I know it's yellow, but not many people look at the undersides of my models 🤣):

20210103-125813.jpg

Everything went together smoothly, but noting other builds I remembered that the escape hatches should have clear circular panels, whereas Auntie provide them solid:

20210103-142953.jpg

Once everything had been glued together (very smoothly, as it happens), I drilled the hatches out - I'll fill them in with Krystal Kleer at a later stage in proceedings:

20210103-144206.jpg

Next - fill, sand, primer, repeat:

20210103-155915.jpg

I ended up this afternoon with everything nicely in order, and panel lines rescribed. Finally, here's a shot of the ID lights in situ - don't look too bad:

20210103-161945.jpg

I'm really enjoying this one! That's all for now, thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Good call Elger - too late now as I've eliminated mine (I think it's correct for Z-Zombie though). It is indeed a :worms:

Cheers,

Roger

yes I think you are correct for Z-Zombie

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's good work Roger B)

I've got one of these in the stash, though by the time I get round to it I'll probably be too old to remember this :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks for the kind words Stu - I can certainly recommend it. Tempus fugit and all that...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Graham said:

Here's a video clip of BII's in flight.

https://youtu.be/o2SWXg9e_0s

Graham 

Graham,

That's amazing footage - thank you for sharing. They are surprisingly graceful in flight - I'm quickly learning to love the purposeful lines of this aircraft,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger 

Good to see the fuselage together and that it was a smooth process.  Pilot seat looked great too. Great work 

Chris

Cheers Chris,

Also learning a lot about the Lanc along the way - very educational!

Cheers,

Roger

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

Great progress, and some nice results too.  I go off grid a couple of days and it seems like you’re nearly finished!

Thanks Mark,

Grinding to a halt for a while as back to work tomorrow!

Cheers,

Roger

I just went through some of my Lanc photos and most of the B.II's don't show any windows and those that do only show a couple at the rear end.

49635265473_b5d454639b_b.jpg

49993413877_888370a91c_b.jpg

49138272962_dbc199d161_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, isaneng said:

Dogsbody, does your top pic show the FN64 turret, or am I just misreading it?

It does have the early bulged bomb bay doors and the fairing from the doors to the turret, but the turret has been removed.

Chris

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I just went through some of my Lanc photos and most of the B.II's don't show any windows and those that do only show a couple at the rear end.

49635265473_b5d454639b_b.jpg

49993413877_888370a91c_b.jpg

49138272962_dbc199d161_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks for that - as you may note I'm committed now anyway!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi All,

Look what the internet bought me this morning - very exciting!

20210107-112359.jpg

I've got to do a diorama now! You get all of these goodies (although you have to choose between the Bedford MWC and MWD):

20210107-112408.jpg

I can now plan the ordnance load too 🤩 

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Having recently  acquired a B.II this thread is a must.

Those cowlings were magnificent in all aspects. Great stuff!

Christer,

Appreciate the kind words - many thanks and welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Roger