"How's that for a Slice of Fried Gold?" 1:72 Lancaster B.II

Dunny

Oh very yes, my kind of WIP.  I just picked up an Airfix B.III so will follow along with interest, not only for your subject matter but also in preparation for my Lanc build later this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Roger,

A bit late but I'll follow along as well, if I may.

At the risk of causing a BM-wide sharp intake of breath, I had never previously heard of a Hercules-engined Lancaster. The pics above are really interesting, and as you say give a real insight into life on a wartime bomber station.

Your subject choice is great - I love the artwork - and you've made a great start on what looks like a mighty kit!

Looking forward to seeing your progress, and in the meantime, happy New Year to you and your family.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the kind words Mark - Happy New Year to you too!

Cheers,

Roger

17 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Oh very yes, my kind of WIP.  I just picked up an Airfix B.III so will follow along with interest, not only for your subject matter but also in preparation for my Lanc build later this year.

Welcome aboard sir!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Looking great, Dunny.

As for adding ignition harness to a Hercules engine, I wouldn't, as the wiring came from the rear of the engine, not the front, as on American-built radials.

37507356586_81c00d1c4b_o.jpg

37507356576_b18f652950_o.jpg

As for the exhaust collector ring, the B.II had the later style ( right side of drawing ). This cooled the outer surface of the ring and helped to reduce to glow, that could be seen by enemy nightfighters. That is also why they were over-painted with the black paint.

36409228180_ee4d5aa0e7_o.jpg

Chris

Excellent information Chris - thank you!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hi All,

A quick update on the cowlings. Based on @dogsbody's very helpful schematic (thanks once again Chris) I made a little more progress. As you can see from the below diagram, the nose of the cowling would not be subject to heat discolouration, so my 'worn' look is fine. The area behind this would be subject to some heat discolouration, so I'm going to try and give this area a yellowish tinge (or 'straw' as any metallurgy student will tell you).

36409228180_ee4d5aa0e7_o.jpg

I first applied a base coat of steel, and then hit on the bright idea of adding a little metallic brass to the mix. I sprayed the ring, and also tried to blend the tone in with the rest of the exhaust, which is where the main discolouration would occur. Here is the initial result:

20210102-121647.jpg

A little bright and shiny? Time for a matt coat and an oil wash:

20210102-122246.jpg

20210102-125158.jpg

It still looks a bit lurid in these photos, but in real life I think the effect works pretty well - there is a nice graduation of colour to the exhaust, and I'm happy with the result (certainly better than antique bronze to my eye, at least) :rage:

Anyway, more to come later - thanks for looking!

Roger

• Like 10

Hi All,

Flushed with the modest success of spraying the cowlings, I couldn't resist assembling the engines and airscrews to see what they looked like. Here's the result of a couple of hours of very satisfying work:

20210102-150055.jpg

I even painted the distinctive yellow dot which is apparent in some of the photos posted earlier 🤩. I normally hate doing radial engines (particularly multiples thereof), but I've found this strangely satisfying. There is a tenuous personal connection - my first job after university was working at Rolls-Royce in Bristol (which the Bristol Engine Company became). A much younger Dunny could therefore be found wandering the same production and assembly buildings where these amazing pieces of engineering were manufactured - none of these places now exist. Hard to believe that 30-ish years have passed since then - happy days.

Enough reminiscing and on with the build!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12

Hi All,

A final update for what has been a day of steady but strong progress. Here's the wing spars located on the cockpit floor (or bomb bay roof? :banghead:)

20210102-154003.jpg

The pilot's seat had lost one of its armrests, so I carved a new on from plastic square section (seen here before repainting):

20210102-154546.jpg

Here's the starboard fuselage with my one (very limited) concession to scratchbuilding - a set of grabhandles to add visual interest.  You can also see the flight engineer's console which is represented by a decal (along with the IP, radio gear, navigators maps and yellow spot for the pilot's headrest - what IS that for??)

20210102-173020.jpg

Here's the port side just for balance 🤣. All components have had a shadow brown oil wash:

20210102-173037.jpg

And that's the extent of progress today!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

Great progress Roger, I like the effects on the cowling/exhaust collector rings.  They look fabulous fella.  The interior is coming on well with your paint and washes and is looking good.  I think the yellow spot  denotes armour plating,  but I am most likely incorrect there . 

Great work fella 

Chris

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great progress Roger, I like the effects on the cowling/exhaust collector rings.  They look fabulous fella.  The interior is coming on well with your paint and washes and is looking good.  I think the yellow spot  denotes armour plating,  but I am most likely incorrect there . 

Great work fella 

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for the kind words - the photos really don't do the effect justice. Armour plating on the props? Need to research this one, methinks...

Cheers,

Roger

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for the kind words - the photos really don't do the effect justice. Armour plating on the props? Need to research this one, methinks...

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger sorry fella I have not long woken up and as I was looking at the interior images thought you were talking of the pilots seat. I didn't realise you were talking about the props. Sorry fella . I don't know what the dot on the props are? 

I am glad I managed to see this before everyone had the chance to rip it out of Me!!!

Chris

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger sorry fella I have not long woken up and as I was looking at the interior images thought you were talking of the pilots seat. I didn't realise you were talking about the props. Sorry fella . I don't know what the dot on the props are? 

I am glad I managed to see this before everyone had the chance to rip it out of Me!!!

Chris

Aaah - armour plating on the headrest makes perfect sense. But even then - did they have non armour plated headrests?? 

Just now, Dunny said:

Aaah - armour plating on the headrest makes perfect sense. But even then - did they have non armour plated headrests?? 

I don't know fella sorry, I am embarrassed,  this is why I should just add positive comments and steer clear of answering questions !!!

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I don't know fella sorry, I am embarrassed,  this is why I should just add positive comments and steer clear of answering questions !!!

Chris

Chris,

It seems you are absolutely correct about the headrest - a quick search around the site suggests that it dictated the orientation of the armour plate. Just got to figure out the prop spots now! My guess would be an indication of balancing or some other QC measure. It's all learning...

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

It seems you are absolutely correct about the headrest - a quick search around the site suggests that it dictated the orientation of the armour plate. Just got to figure out the prop spots now! My guess would be an indication of balancing or some other QC measure. It's all learning...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger 

Nooooooooooo, for goodness sake don't start the 'yellow spot on the pilot's seat' debate again. Answers range from:

Armour plating - a caution of the weight of the item involved.

Armour plating - which side is hardened steel.

It's magnetic and could affect flight instruments.

It's a gas detector circle (no, not even I believe this one..................).

Need I go on? Can/Worms  - thousands of internet hours have been spent on this, all to no avail. None of the veterans I have met have any idea, including the one and only B2 chap I ever met (Flight Engineer). 

Next you'll be asking about Luftwaffe interior colours...............

Good luck chap, great to see the build, Isaneng.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This looks like it's going to be a cracker of a build - I shall follow with much anticipation!

As an aside, years ago I built Airfix's B.III (remember it,?  Black plastic and a rear turret that drank tube glue like it was the nectar of the gods) and I remember it as being pretty basic and detail-light.  I'd kind of dismissed making another one on that basis.  However, one of the kids at work is building a B.II from this same kit, and looking at it I was amazed by how much better these newer toolings are.  I've re-assessed my choices and have this kit firmly on my radar based on seeing it.  The fact that he's attacked it with a Stanley knife and litres of tube glue made me nostalgic, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

This looks like it's going to be a cracker of a build - I shall follow with much anticipation!

As an aside, years ago I built Airfix's B.III (remember it,?  Black plastic and a rear turret that drank tube glue like it was the nectar of the gods) and I remember it as being pretty basic and detail-light.  I'd kind of dismissed making another one on that basis.  However, one of the kids at work is building a B.II from this same kit, and looking at it I was amazed by how much better these newer toolings are.  I've re-assessed my choices and have this kit firmly on my radar based on seeing it.  The fact that he's attacked it with a Stanley knife and litres of tube glue made me nostalgic, though.

Yeah but I liked the fact it wasnt 'over-engineered' and it also maintained a very good Lancaster shape . . . I still like building them 80's kits

LL952-P853.jpg

Back to the MK.II build of which, I think those engine cowlings look beautiful 👌 spot on 

• Like 3

Roger, those collector rings and exhaust pipes look great! Nice work.

As for the white dots on the props, this may explain it: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/wellington-propeller-help-to-identify.44023/

Somewhere I have found a better explanation and diagram of those coloured dots but I just can't find it right now.

I don't know if this a colour photo or a colourized B&W photo, but it shows a yellow dot on the prop.

49561421106_a64a93739b_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, isaneng said:

Nooooooooooo, for goodness sake don't start the 'yellow spot on the pilot's seat' debate again. Answers range from:

Armour plating - a caution of the weight of the item involved.

Armour plating - which side is hardened steel.

It's magnetic and could affect flight instruments.

It's a gas detector circle (no, not even I believe this one..................).

Need I go on? Can/Worms  - thousands of internet hours have been spent on this, all to no avail. None of the veterans I have met have any idea, including the one and only B2 chap I ever met (Flight Engineer). 

Next you'll be asking about Luftwaffe interior colours...............

Good luck chap, great to see the build, Isaneng.

:worms:  ooops

"All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah"

Thanks for the kind words - debate contained and sent back to a dark corner of th'interweb!

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

7 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Yeah but I liked the fact it wasnt 'over-engineered' and it also maintained a very good Lancaster shape . . . I still like building them 80's kits

LL952-P853.jpg

Back to the MK.II build of which, I think those engine cowlings look beautiful 👌 spot on 

7 hours ago, isaneng said:

I have the G George boxing upstairs - remember, one shut down, on fire....

Ah, nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Its inspirational when you think such things happened, the artwork is great . . .

G-George.jpg

Is there anyone who didn't build that kit back in the day? This new tool certainly lifts the detail level, althought the shape was spot on! Thanks for all the kind words gents,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Roger, those collector rings and exhaust pipes look great! Nice work.

As for the white dots on the props, this may explain it: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/wellington-propeller-help-to-identify.44023/

Somewhere I have found a better explanation and diagram of those coloured dots but I just can't find it right now.

I don't know if this a colour photo or a colourized B&W photo, but it shows a yellow dot on the prop.

49561421106_a64a93739b_o.jpg

Chris

That certainly does answer the  question Chris - thank you. @bigbadbadge you were right too - rest easy!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

@dogsbody G'day Chris,was this the image you were thinking of?

resized_b8b59be1-6b09-4dfa-9cfa-30010c17

Good work on those collector rings Dunny,Im going to half inch that for a Beaufighter that's nearing the bench.

That's why I love this forum! Great info Alex and thanks for the kind words,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1