1/16 WPL B-16 r/c to CDN army MLVW conversion

Have the tarp painted now. I used the Euro1 dk. green or flat green as I've been calling it. It took a few coats to get it to colour nice over the black material. It may look a different colour but it is same as the green on the front of the body.

DSC-3307.jpg

DSC-3309.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't like the headlights. I decided the original ones looked better when they weren't on. The large 10mm ones took on a shadow with the hood closed and looked dark. I made new bezels from some christmas lights(not usually in the christmas spirit). I cut the ends off and trimmed them to fit in the original places. Put on a tube to hold the original LEDs in place and glued on aluminum foil to the bezels. I stretch formed some food packaging plastic over a wood dowel that I sanded the tip on to a round shape. I also gave the plastic a light sanding in one direction. This tones down the clearness, helps hide the LED and gives it the look of having those molded ridges on the headlight glass. Had to trim them to fit the openings once the bezels were installed. I was surprised it went as easily as it did.

DSC-3314.jpg

DSC-3315.jpg

• Like 4

I got my new receiver and it seems to work good. I wired in extra chip LEDs for marker lights. They work like they should when turned on. When I run power to just the light harness in the cab, all the lights work but when it's all hooked up to the receiver, the headlights don't. Also my speaker kind of cuts out every so often, but it did that before.

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I love the way this roof is coming together. :thumbsup:

Will you have to rub a larger battery pack? 

Maybe, it's already 7.4 volts. I emailed WPL and asked them, waiting to hear back. I don't want to add more power and blow up the receiver again.

I screwed up on the center axle. I went off how the original plastic one was made and didn't see the video on how to make it with the metal parts. This pictures shows the wrong way. one on the left. I used two pinion gears when it should be a through shaft. It did work a bit but in reverse it would snap hard in your hand. The rear axle on the right is fine.

DSC-3334.jpg

Here's the correctly built gear carrier.

DSC-3335.jpg

Here's the assembled rear suspension. I had to teef a spring because I couldn't find the extra one. Have to leave the screws backed off a bit so the metal suspension parts can move. You do need locktight which comes with the parts. I had to rim the rear upper control are in it's edge because it jammed a bit on the top of the rear diff. I'm sure the original suspension would be ok with the metal diffs and gears. I also had to buy a few more screws to finish it. There are no instructions so you have to tyake time and guess what screws go where. You do need to get locking nuts or it will just fall apart.

DSC-3339.jpg

Here's the built se up. I have to take some of it off the frame to paint. It weighs roughly 1 1/2 pounds. I saw a video of a heavy truck like this having a hard time crawling uphill but it was stable. I don't plan on climbing much so I should be ok.

DSC-3340.jpg

Had to redo the side step. Since this truck has the winch, the step is the hydraulic oil tank. I had this made as the toolbox before. The thing under the smaller cover is an oil filter and line. I also took out the cardboard box on the floor and put in a transmission hump. It's a it taller than it should be but the engine is tall. I also decided to move the speaker to under the bed so I closed up the speaker cove I made. The diver figure is changed a bit now to. I didn't have luck making a hat for the other guy so I found a Gijoe Flint figure at a local gaming store. I wanted one with a beret and that's the only one with one. These Flint figures are very rare I'm told but got it for cheap since I didn't want any accessories with him. I put Flint's head on the other's body and cut out a portion of his gizzards to make him shorter. He was hitting the roof. The chest pockets also have to be changed since the Cdn army jackets have pockets for holding magazines.

DSC-3341.jpg

I did get the truck driving briefly but still have some problem. The staff at WPL are looking it and it and helping. Here's the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMG8RoLbzVI

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

You are making this so much fun to watch. Bordering on too much fun and leading to a purchase! 

Cool thanks. I just want to get it done and back on my commissioned truck. I'm scared to see how much I spent on it but it is my first one. These can be affordable nice trucks. Not sure on the battery pack yet. I wouldn't know what I can go with.

Blew up the receiver again. Have to study it to see what I did. Have another on order. Anyway, I decided to run the marker lights on a separate battery and put the electronics all back to stock. I had this coin battery holder from something lying around, don't know what it came from. I mounted it into the battery box step along with a switch. The whole thing can be pulled out to change the battery. I taped the wires to the battery with aluminum duct tape.

DSC-3349.jpg

Here's the driver, a bit hard to see and some interior pictures.

DSC-3351.jpg

DSC-3352.jpg

I realized i never showed the dash before. It's all scratchbuilt except the steering wheel.

DSC-3353.jpg

I went over the black and weathered it with grey pastel chalk to lighten it up. The black was to black before I also folded up some cloth to put on the roof rack. The bungee cords are metal twist ties with the paper trimmed and painted flat black.

DSC-3357.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Had to remake the transmission hump. It and the floor were interfering with the wiring under the cab, the cab wouldn't sit snug on the frame. The hump is exaggerated quite a bit but it's dark in the cab and green so it's not to bad.

DSC-3367.jpg

• Like 3

Got the rear tarp flap rolled up. Used some 1/25 photoetched seat belt parts from Model Car Garage and tied them all on. Also have the new trailer hitch on. It's a nice functional one a friend got for me off amazon. I don't like amazon but the only other was one out of the US. for $40 + shipping and he wouldn't ship to Canada.  Could buy the real one for a bit more. Just have a couple of decals to make for it and waiting for the new receiver.

DSC-3406.jpg

Loaded up the roof rack. Could put more I guess but keeping it tame for now. The rolled canvas is the shirt cloth I used for the first top and the rolled tarp is more of the same material used on the top. The netting is the nets that some fruits wrapped come in. The box is just thin paper board. The bungee cords are twist ties trimmed and painted flat black.  I added a third handle to the jerry can. I may have said it before but comes from a 1/16 Panzer. I had to also make a fuel cap and strapping. The strap is the smallest ribbon I could find and the hooks are made from staples. 

DSC-3402.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Found a set of tires that more closely resemble the ones that came on these trucks when they were new. These are RC4WD's Scrambler 1" off road tires #Z-T0146. The tires are very soft and the black foam is the original insert. I put one on and the tire went flat. Didn't know what to do. There are some proper inserts for this tire size but are very expensive. I read that pool noodles can be used for this so I tried that. This one is just over 2" in diameter. Even though I'm not a fan of dollar stores that's where I got this. I cut a 3/4' donut using the masking tape for reference. I had to enlarge the centre hole a little. It does work, you just have to massage the tires over and around the foam to sit nicely.

DSC-3479.jpg

Here's the new tires on. Yes they are to clean. Just a few small details to finish then it's done. It does drive now, quite good to. See how these new tires do. I'll post in the finished section soon, I want to add a video of it, just need to find a nice place to take it.

DSC-3481.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally after all this time I got a good video of this truck in action. It sat parked for most of the time aside from a couple of test runs on a sidewalk. Had a problem with one battery but otherwise it's good. WPL makes nice stuff. I did find that the pool noodle inserts for the tires will flat spot over time. I have to prop the truck up on a 2x4 to keep the weight off the wheels, it weighs about four pounds. I was looking but can't find any small hard tire inserts. I tried cutting some scrap mold rubber which would work but can't cut it into a nice donut. I'd have to actually cast the mold rubber for it. I tried foam pipe insulation but I'm sure the exact same stuff as a pool noodle just different colour.

• Like 1