Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I've managed to squeeze in one final build in this most unusual of years! This is my effort at Special Hobby's 1:48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang. I knew nothing of this aircraft, so it was a good education process as part of the build. The evolution of the aircraft is interesting, as it was the first fighter aircraft designed and manufactured by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in Fisherman's Bend, VIC. The design of the aircraft was derivative of the Wirraway trainer aircraft, itself a locally-manufactured variant of the NA-16 Harvard. The design used the R-1830 Twin Wasp, which was manufactured locally to power Australian-made Beauforts. The first prototype flew within 3 months of receiving an order to proceed, a real testament to Aussie ingenuity and agility. The type was produced from 1942-5, and although underpowered and slower than contemporaries acquitted itself well in the ground attack and close support roles, and was well liked by its pilots.

 

I have modelled as A46-199 'Home James' of 4 Sqn RAAF, based in New Guinea in 1944, flown by Fl Lt Jack Archer. Here's a couple of shots of the aircraft:

 

unnamed.jpg

 

unnamed-1.jpg

 

There are a few unusual elements to this scheme which I've tried to incorporate:

 

- The patch under the starboard side of the cockpit, which from research on other forums (particularly Aussie Modeller) I have decided to complete as a bare plywood finish

- The significant exhaust scorching of the paint 

- A single section of the empennage finished in foliage gree, as opposed to white as per the rest of the area

 

The model was finished in Life Color's RAAF paint colours of Earth Brown and Foliage Green over Sky Blue, and I used a set of Montex masks for the canopy and national insignia. Here is the WIP if anyone is interested:

 

This was typical SH fare with good detail, but vague fit and engineering. The kit has fought me all the way and nearly ended up on the bin several times. However I'm glad I persisted and I'm not displeased with the final outcome. Anyway, on to the photos ( @Troy Smith take note - I have finally upgraded my studio setting at your suggestion - thank you sir!):

 

20201230-140825.jpg

 

20201230-140904.jpg

 

20201230-140921.jpg

 

20201230-140943.jpg

 

20201230-140956.jpg

 

And a final shot with her RAAF stablemates:

 

20201230-141202.jpg

 

I'll also add this final build to my 2020 yearbook, which you can find here if you are interested:

 

 

I'd like to wish everybody on this great site a Happy New Year - thanks in particular to @corsaircorp, @bigbadbadge and @Corsairfoxfourunclefor their support throughout this build.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Roger

  • Like 39
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

 

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Roger.. The Boomerang looks great, :thumbsup:... I do hope I can scrounge one up myself soon. Thank you for mentioning me. 

Thanks for the kind words gents - much appreciated!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Roger, your build looks absolutely stunning,  great work and great finish fella.   You have done a cracking job and I enjoyed your thread. Getting ready to watch the Fulmar.

Hope you too have a Happy and safe New Year .

All the best 

Chris 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Roger, your build looks absolutely stunning,  great work and great finish fella.   You have done a cracking job and I enjoyed your thread. Getting ready to watch the Fulmar.

Hope you too have a Happy and safe New Year .

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris - support along the way much appreciated. Happy New Year to you and Mrs Badge, and look forward to sharing next year's modelling hi-jinx! (Oh, and by the way the B.II won - watch this space),

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

New one on me as well, Roger. Nicely done.👍

Thanks for the kind words Vinnie - much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swralph said:

Really nice build.😀

Very kind Ralph - Happy New Year to you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaand this Aussie finally did it !! In 2020 !!

I'll consider this final built as favorable oracle for 2021 !!

Really nice Boomerang Roger...

Well, you're ahead for about 3 months from a waloon of this crazy parrish !! :whistle::whistle:

Whhaaaattt ??? Diiid Heee Finiiiissshhh ?? 🐌🐌 Pretty funny since the inhabitants of Namur Province are nicknamed "Snails'

Perfectly justified in that matter Dear !!

Congratulations !! 👏

Happy New year to you and your family !! And for this too..., You'll be ahead of me... :evil_laugh: Not my fault this time !!

Stay safe and enjoy modelling !!

Sincerely.

asthmatic snail CC 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Aaaand this Aussie finally did it !! In 2020 !!

I'll consider this final built as favorable oracle for 2021 !!

Really nice Boomerang Roger...

Well, you're ahead for about 3 months from a waloon of this crazy parrish !! :whistle::whistle:

Whhaaaattt ??? Diiid Heee Finiiiissshhh ?? 🐌🐌 Pretty funny since the inhabitants of Namur Province are nicknamed "Snails'

Perfectly justified in that matter Dear !!

Congratulations !! 👏

Happy New year to you and your family !! And for this too..., You'll be ahead of me... :evil_laugh: Not my fault this time !!

Stay safe and enjoy modelling !!

Sincerely.

asthmatic snail CC 

Thanks CC - I'll look forward to a Boomerang in March! :penguin:Happy New Year to a Namur Snail from an Adelaide Hills Pom!

 

All the best for 2021,

 

Roger

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Very nice indeed Dunny, I like this one a lot.

Thanks Mark - appreciate the kind words!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Lovely Boomerang! 

Thanks for the kind words, and Happy New Year! I'll be making some baby 3d printing steps in future builds so will follow your inspirational lead!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Roger.  The Boomerang poses well with your Airacobra and Walrus.  That`s a great looking trio ( and the Boomerang ain`t too be either 😉 )

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Very nice Roger.  The Boomerang poses well with your Airacobra and Walrus.  That`s a great looking trio ( and the Boomerang ain`t too be either 😉 )

 

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic job on a difficult kit, the collection looks superb too

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, russ c said:

Fantastic job on a difficult kit, the collection looks superb too

Thanks for the kind words Russ - it sounds as if you speak from bitter experience!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks for the kind words Russ - it sounds as if you speak from bitter experience!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Hi Roger, yeah, I`ve suffered that pain too.

Here`s my effort from a few years ago ( if you`re  interested ) 

Cheers Russ

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russ c said:

Hi Roger, yeah, I`ve suffered that pain too.

Here`s my effort from a few years ago ( if you`re  interested ) 

Cheers Russ

Russ, 

 

That is a beautiful execution - love your subtle treatment of a single colour scheme. Well done sir!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...