Hello everybody... As the A-4 Scooter STGB is coming up in the not to distant future. Im looking to build an A-4K, the base kit is the Hasegawa A-4F most if not all the mods look to be doable but my major roadblock right now is the K’s vertical tail. It is taller and squared off compared to a standard E/F. Im looking for any info, blueprints, line drawings, or schematics on the height of the vertical tail. Is it the same as the later OA-4M tail without the sensor package on top, or is it different ? Ive got most of the other mods already lined up but any info will help. 

Dennis

According to the D&S volume it is the same tail as originally used on the A-4M, where for originally I mean before the addition of the ALR-45 fairing.

When the fairing above the fin was added, the leading edge was extended further out at the top, resulting in a kinked line instead of a straight one. The fairing also covers part of the original tail surface with the result that the rudder is slightly shorter.

Personally from looking at pictures I believe that on the A-4K and M without fairing the rudder remained the same of the earlier models, it is only the leading edge of the tail that was extended. I would probably just draw a straight line from the rudder and get the height of the new leading edge section from there. At least this is what I intend to do on a similar project.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Also, might the "right" cap be in the kit?  I'm pretty sure I remember (assuming 48th) that they give at least two styles.

Painfully I had the Hasegawa Kahu boxing in 1/48th years ago. I built as an “E” and gave the Kahu bits a new home in Paris. Im working with the 1/72 “E/F” kit, and looking at parts tree diagrams i don't think so. Though there may be a possibility but wont know until Friday when the kit arrives. 

Not much help to your question, but the 'K' fin will be the same as the 'H' fin used on the Isreali Skyhawks as that was what was on the assembly line at the time.

Also the Hasegawa 1/72 A-4E/F Skyhawk has an over length fuselage, its actually longer than their later more accurate TA-4J. The stretch seems to be throughout the fuselage, making it somewhat overscale. the wings appear to be ok and were used in the later TA-4 kit.

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Few notes to correct missing info from Gekko info above

The Red Dot (option 2) was only worn when the A4K's arrived in New Zealand, as that was what was painted

on the A4K's at the Douglas Factory in ConUS

PR7843-8a-69.t5f332dab.m800.xrGHksJpZ.jp

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum- Used with Permissions)

RNZAF T-A4K over Yosemite National park prior to deliver note Plain Roundel (no fern)

RNZAF T-A4K - Plain Roundel

The Red dot then had the "Silver Fern added (after May 1970), before the Kiwi Roundel

was adopted by the RNZAF circa Nov/Dec 1970 per links below

RNZAF A4K - Fern Leaf Roundel

RNZAF A4K - Fern Leaf Roundel -1

Also The RNZAF A4K's arrived and lived with straight refueling Probes for a time, which were later refitted with

cranked probes (stopped fuel flowing back into engine during aerial refueling)

The Main tanks on early RNZAF A4K's were painted Gloss White

OhG6497-72.t5f96145b.m600.xLKaaZ5ZD.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum- Used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Calum said:

I've written a couple of blog posts on modelling the RNZAF Skyhawks.

The first one covers the aircraft and what mods/changes where introduced and when (See Here)

The second one, which I'm still working on, covers the Hasegawa 1/48 Kit (See Here)

I had already found the first one while looking for answers, I didn't know there would be a second one. In my stupidity I didn't go past the credits at the bottom of the link/article. Thanks they both help and have saved the first as a link to get back to in a hurry.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

12 hours ago, Calum said:

I've written a couple of blog posts on modelling the RNZAF Skyhawks.

The first one covers the aircraft and what mods/changes where introduced and when (See Here)

The second one, which I'm still working on, covers the Hasegawa 1/48 Kit (See Here)

Hi Calum.

I've been using your sites myself the last week or two for my own post-Kahu kit conversion, and they'll be my go-to references for my T-bird and pre-Kahu as well.  They've been an absolute goldmine (even for someone who used to work down the Italian end of 4 hanger! :D).  Many thanks for taking the time to put them together and sharing your knowledge. Thoroughly recommended.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1