1907 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, 1/24 Finecast metal kit

So, moving closer to the moment of truth with the plug wiring: this is pretty much everything to complete the engine except the distributor and plug wires.

with-plugs-left.jpg

with-radiator-pipes.jpg

with-radiator-pipes-right.jpg

with-radiator-pipes-top.jpg

Fortunately, the plug ends of the wire on the real thing just clip on from the side, so I can expose the metal on the top face, and superglue wire across rather than having to drill each plug. I need to drill the distributor (probably cutting off the projecting terminals and drilling down into the body). The magneto wires mount onto the stepped "shelves" you can see at the top of the brown part of the magneto, so no drilling needed there. The last piece of the puzzle, then, is to make the "pan pipe" structure that carries the wiring from the distributor side to each of its plugs. Fortunately, I have some thin brass tube and some superglue...

panpipes.jpg

Making it was surprisingly easy: thank capillary action for that. The tricky bit will be keeping it together while I fit it and wire it! Wish me luck...

best,

M.

• Like 6

Nice! :clap2:

You could take a look at lead wire. I have some down to 0.2mm. It's very easy to manipulate and takes paint well. 

I did a similar task for an Aston Martin DB4, threading the wire through the tube, from distributor to plugs.

So, I've bitten the bullet and started the wiring... and stopped. there's only so much I can do in one session before my eyes and mojo give up the "Ghost"...

wiring-started.jpg

wiring-started-2.jpg

In these pictures, the "Pan pipes" are not fixed. I just wanted to satisfy myself that it can be fixed and stay below the line of the water pipe. The real pipe angles up much more steeply to the top of the radiator, but this has to stay low to make sure the bonnet top fits, which is definitely more than scale thickness. As you can see, half the magneto wires are in place at one end...

distributor-drilled.jpg

distributor-drilled-2.jpg

Turns out, I CAN drill the distributor... without even breaking one .35mm drill bit!

Another session or two to go, I think...

best,

M.

• Like 7

I love what you are doing here. The details in this scale. Hat off.

If I may make one small remark. I think that the wires that you use are a bit too thick. I can be wrong, but in the pictures it looks like the wires are out of scale in relation to the engine.

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

I think that the wires that you use are a bit too thick. I can be wrong, but in the pictures it looks like the wires are out of scale in relation to the engine.

Agreed. Said it above. Real ones would be 5mm,  .2mm in 1/24.

YMMV, but I’ve yet to find any accurately scale thickness wire that works for me, and believe me, I’ve tried. I’ve got wire the right diameter and colour, but it’s too springy and hard to get where you want it to go. I’ve got the right diameter wire  that will go where I want it to but it’s silver and paint flakes off it when you handle or bend it. I’ve got lead wire that is the right size, tractable and paintable but is fragile and gets “cut” by tweezers. I’ve got Tamiya detailing wire which is thinner than this, but it’s multicore which tends to splay when you strip it, making it harder to insert into drilled holes or tube. And I’ve got this stuff, which is a bit overscale, but has a single, flexible core which you can strip and fix with superglue, you can shape and bend it at different angles on different axes and it stays bent, and it’ll let you bend it into position and then stay in place while you apply superglue. If I could find the same thing in a smaller diameter I’d use it, but I haven’t as yet... In this case, for me, usability trumps scale fidelity.

These pix are pretty extreme closeups, focused on the engine. It’s not as jarring just sitting on the bench, and still less when it’s in the context of the whole car. 

best,

M.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I’ve got wire the right diameter and colour,

Just a thought, could you heat treat the 'springy' wire to make it more pliable?

Cheers,

Alan.

@Alan R  I could, and I've tried, but only at the expense of the black colouring which burns off. What I need is anodized aluminium wire in very small diameters: I have bigger diameters in multiple colours, which have many of the right features, but they're too big.

@silver911 and @Codger the wire I have is probably that stuff: the ".25mm conductor" wire is 0.5mm in overall diameter, which is what my wire is...

Screenshot%202021-01-15%20at%2021.41.28-

Believe, me, it's not stubborn-ness... I really HAVE looked for this stuff over the last ten years...

best,

M.

• Like 1

Idly looking... the 1/12 Franklin Mint "die-cast" model, which is very impressive, seems to sell for less than $1000. Believe me, if I was charging for building this 1/24 scale model, it would be a LOT more than that by the end. Interestingly, the follow-on to the 1/12 Bentley from Airfix was going to be a 1/12 Silver Ghost https://www.vectis.co.uk/lot/2953-airfix-archive_149132 It would be interesting to know how much, if any of Airfix's research investment supported the Franklin Mint version...

best,

M.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

@Alan R  I could, and I've tried, but only at the expense of the black colouring which burns off. What I need is anodized aluminium wire in very small diameters: I have bigger diameters in multiple colours, which have many of the right features, but they're too big.

@silver911 and @Codger the wire I have is probably that stuff: the ".25mm conductor" wire is 0.5mm in overall diameter, which is what my wire is...

Screenshot%202021-01-15%20at%2021.41.28-

Believe, me, it's not stubborn-ness... I really HAVE looked for this stuff over the last ten years...

best,

M.

This would have been my choice.......https://www.componentshop.co.uk/0-2mm-32awg-super-fine-solderable-enamelled-copper-connecting-wire-black.html

I simply supplied the basic link for you to have a look at and had hoped it was of future use to you.

Ron

Apologies, and thank you... I've nabbed some of this enamelled copper wire to test out. I'll let you know. I've never found any this thin before, so it could be more flexible which might prevent either the enamel flaking or needing to heat treat it to tame the stuff...

best,

M.

• Like 2

Right, that's it: "Stage 3:the engine" is now complete...

engine-done-from-left.jpg

engine-done-from-left-front.jpg

engine-done-from-right-front.jpg

engine-done-from-right.jpg

Boy, am I glad to see that back of this bit... Still, it's a cool engine, and I understand much better how it works having built one. The wires could be thinner, but being black they have less visibility than they might, and I think the engine is much improved by having them in place...

Now, on with the body....

best,

M.

• Like 13

Thanks, guys! @Spiny the valve springs are very lightly drybrushed with some Citadel silver, just to bring out the casting detail.

The body is under way...

body-sides-made-up.jpg

body-sides-made-up-from-rear.jpg

body-sides-made-up-underneath.jpg

I glued the back to the sides first in a U-shape. The mating faces are very well-shaped, once you clean off the moulding pips and small amount of flash. The fit is such that when it's flush, the joint is at 90 degrees. After that had set (I used gel super glue) I put in the front floor. It you're doing one of these yourself, note that the floors sit on top of the moulded ridges on the sides. This is not clear from the instructions OR photos. Then I dropped in the front and rear seat fronts, which slide firmly but easily into the slots in the sides.

body-made-up-with-divider.jpg

body-made-up-with-divider-from-front.jpg

The central seat back and divider are an equally good fit.

seats-test-from-rear.jpg

seats-test-1.jpg

The idea is to use the body as a jig to assemble the seat upholstery and cushions, gluing it all together, and then remove the complete seat benches to paint separately from the body. Hmmmm...

best,

M.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

It's a bit like building flat pack furniture! Don't forget to check the fit on the chassis before you go any further.

Thanks, Jo... yes I should have said thank you for your advice. I had it on the chassis several times as I got it together, and the seat bulkheads went in with it taped down... I just didn’t think to photograph it at that point!

best,

M.

• Like 1