1/43 McLaren M20, Road America 1974 - the final Can-Am winner

Here's one I completed not so long ago.  It's the US Racing McLaren M20 driven by Scooter Patrick at Road America in 1974.  Both of the previously dominant Shadows retired, handing victory to a two year old McLaren.

spacer.png

The model is based on the early Marsh Models kit (MM20), plus some bits and pieces, and the decals, from the MA kit (MA462).  The Marsh kit was incomplete, so I used items from the MA kit to fill the deficits.  

To correctly portray the US Racing M20, I extended the fins and remade the wing mounts to move the wing wing further back.  The front wing was moved forwards, with endplates and new mounting positions.  The intakes between the wheel arches were added and the intakes on the arches filled.  The roll hoop is made from copper wire, and the sidepods needed some minor modifications.  The decals are mostly from the MA kit, with additions from Virage and MicroSport.

spacer.png

The modified parts.

The wings, and engine parts (and driver' seat) are from the MA kit.  The Marsh tyres were a bit too "low profile", so they were increased in size with strips of 10thou plastic card around the outside.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rab.  I've used the plasticard strip technique on several Marsh kits up to now.  Once the card has been faired in with a bit of filler, I then paint the tyres with Xtracolor Tyre Black (X505) and they're ready for decals to be applied.  

Trevor

Thanks very much.  This one, plus the Penske Sunoco M6B, are great colour schemes, probably the best of the privately entered McLarens.  Mind you, pretty much all Can-Am cars are cool!

Trevor

• Like 1

I'm very often astonished by what some modellers can achieve in 1/43 scale; and your build is no exception.

Preferring to stick to 1:24/25 scale myself, I can only marvel at these more-or-less half-size creations.

My hat's off to you.

😮:clap2:👍

An extremely worthy subject too - from the heady times of Can-Am in its purest form.

Thanks very much for your kind words.  I like 1/43 scale for the huge range that's available.  Granted, most of them are relatively short run kits but they take up very little space and can be stored (after they've been built) in the same box that the kit was in.

More Can-Am stuff to follow!

Trevor