Tamiya 1/35 Flakpanzer Gepard

Andy J

So decided to make a start on this kit today which I received as a gift over Xmas. I think it's fair to say that this is a classic Tamiya kit as the date stamp is 1977. Very basic kit but it fits together ok and hopefully should look ok when finished. I will be painting the kit in the tri coloured Nato scheme rather than the olive drab scheme which Tamiya suggests in the painting guide. Anyway just the turret left to build and then I can get cracking on the paint scheme, once the paint order arrives πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

Simple kit but enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 13

Tickety booΒ mate!

Β 

I've often thought stuff like this would be great for a few Wifs

Affordable, straight forward build and loads of potential to experiment with re'weathering etc!Β 

Β 

Big πŸ‘from here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tickety booΒ mate!

Β 

I've often thought stuff like this would be great for a few Wifs

Affordable, straight forward build and loads of potential to experiment with re'weathering etc!Β 

Β 

Big πŸ‘from here!

I agree Darryl, this kit is certainly not state of the art but in fairness it's really not that bad at all. I'm actually very interested in seeing what it looks like with a coat of paint and some subtle weathering πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Did you jump ship on the Tiger thread ??

Β 

No Andy's just found another cat to play with!

Β 

Β  Β  Stay safeΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Roger

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Β 

Β 

Quite right, variety and all that, change is a good as a rest.... usually.Β 

Just take a little advice....don't suggest it to the wife, rarely ends well!Β :chair:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

Did you jump ship on the Tiger thread ??

Hi Lee, just fancied something different for a while and as this isn't a Tiger l it required it's own thread.....simples....πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Β 

Β 

Very true Roger, simply exploring the kit options i have available now.....and there's a few to choose from πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Β 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Quite right, variety and all that, change is a good as a rest.... usually.Β 

Just take a little advice....don't suggest it to the wife, rarely ends well!Β :chair:

I can't help thinking the emoji above is Mrs J reacting to the next delivery of kits πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I can't help thinking the emoji above is Mrs J reacting to the next delivery of kits πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Safer and, less painful than the "fanciedΒ a change idea..."Β 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Β 

Andy here's some inspiration for you, a Dutch Army example at the 2019 Bovington Tankfest.

Β 

IMG-0300.jpg

Β 

IMG-0299.jpg

Β 

Stay safeΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Roger

Brilliant Roger thanks mate...I guess that's the scheme that Tamiya suggests which I actually quite like having seen it in the flesh so to speak πŸ€”. Also the track pads look interesting to weather, thanks mate your input has got the mojo flowing for this build as I think I'm going to use your pic's for reference. Most if not all the finished examples I've seen of this kit show the Nato scheme and although I've ordered the Nato paints I will keep them for an upcoming Leopard build i have planned. Thanks again Roger...just the tonic I've been looking for πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 2

A classic kit indeed! One that we've all had a couple of goes at, I seem to remember that it goes together pretty well, I had a fiddly issue with the upper hull at the rear, one of those moments to apply just the right amount of push to a resistant fit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

A classic kit indeed! One that we've all had a couple of goes at, I seem to remember that it goes together pretty well, I had a fiddly issue with the upper hull at the rear, one of those moments to apply just the right amount of push to a resistant fit.

Yes I know what you mean i haven't tried fitting the two together yet tbh but hopefully they will go together ok πŸ‘

So more progress today and I'm moving along quite nicely and enjoying the build. Lower hull and main hull are together along with the wheels and tracks. The more I work with this kit the more I like it , ok the fit in some areas isn't brilliant but I don't mind because it's nothing that a bit of fettling can't sort out. Here's today's progress with a basecoat of OD applied however much more fun to be had yet to achieve the finish I'm looking for πŸ™‚

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

So that's where I stand atm thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Β 

Β 

• Like 9

Hi Andy,

nice build of a nice (oldΒ fashioned) kit. Maybe you have noticed that the Tam kit has NO space between the third and fourth road wheel as the production versions. That is correct for the prototypes! These were painted in Gelbolive (the basic OD comes rather close). The tree tone camo was introduced only in the Mid Eightees.

Cheers

Andreas Beck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Hi Andy,

nice build of a nice (oldΒ fashioned) kit. Maybe you have noticed that the Tam kit has NO space between the third and fourth road wheel as the production versions. That is correct for the prototypes! These were painted in Gelbolive (the basic OD comes rather close). The tree tone camo was introduced only in the Mid Eightees.

Cheers

Andreas Beck

Hi Andreas thanks for the comment. I had no idea regarding the wheels but I'm not to concerned tbh I'm just building OOB and for fun πŸ™‚.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Another bit of info on the Gepard - German vehicles never had the side skirts fitted in service, one or two PR photsΒ 

kicking about but these were taken by theΒ manufacturer.Β 

Interesting point Dan but I guess mine are fixed in position now so I would imagine the manufacturer would be quite chuffed πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Blimey mate you are acquiring and building at a rapid rate of knotsΒ :frantic:

Nice choice, one I have in the stash funny enough so watching to gain some tips.

Hi Dan tbh I'm interested to see how this classic kit looks when I'm finished with it but atm it's got my attention and I'm already looking at other kits such as the Leopard and the Churchill as fairly cheap and cheerful builds πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Nice work Andy, coming along a treat...

Β 

Ed

Thanks Ed, I'm just going through the basics atm but will start some proper paint work soon. Thanks for the comment πŸ‘Β 

• Like 1