Lightweight Fighter - Korean F-5E - FINISHED

Chrisj2003

Not halfway through the GB and the F-89 is going well. Restrictions means an unusual amount of free time so I am going to start this DreamModel F-5E which is new this year and I got from the Big H when it got to the UK last month.

There had been a lot of negative comments about cost and accuracy. But for me it seems the going rate for kits from the Far East now; with a new Hasegawa 1/72 F-4 >>£50. This has a large box, delicate details, sprues engineered for other variants, multiple different options, large coloured painting and decalling guides, and a tiny PE fret for seat belts and the flat bit on top of some operators fins. I bought it to do a USAF aggressor but am going with the RoKAF option; 2 tone grey. I am hoping the painting guides scale up easily as pseudo masks.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
FINISHED
  • Like 5

Another worthy type to deserve recognition in our GB :thumbsup:  Was hoping someone does an aggressor type but a RoKAF scheme is just as good. Sure you'll gain a lot of interest from those of us keen to see how this one goes together.

So the F-89 did need another coat of black so on with this F-5.

First impressions are fine detail, and thin plastic with thought-out joins, but not many pieces.

• The plane itself is only 6 parts:
    • nose cone
    • front left
    • front right fuselage
    • bottom rear with wings and tailplanes
    • top rear
    • fin
  • but there are 7 parts in each guided bomb + pylon - 5 parts in each sidewinder - 8 parts in the seat including PE
  • my loadout will be 2 wingtip late model sidewinders + centre fuel tank - it feels I am leaving around half the part count unused
  • fit looks good
  • some odd choices, eg
    • bottom rear 8 locating holes - but top rear only 2 locating lugs
    • you have to drill holes for tailhook - is there a F-5 without one?
    • but fill holes in wings for unwanted wing pylons
  • very fine mating surfaces  - eg on inside of inlets - and very fine lips to same - but ejector pin marks on the inside curved surface which I cant completely remove
  • nice details in wheel bays but speed brakes arent openable

So a lot of filing sprue ends (is there a term when there is a stub of plastic on the part - see eg landing gear and pylons on photo?) and priming; started construction with fins on one side of sidewinders - leave them to dry solid before trying opposing sides - and drilling holes and filling holes.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

This one sounds to be something of a curate's egg; a mix of good and bad features. While I don't know what those extra bits on so many parts are called there's certainly plenty of them now you mention it.

Is there much in the way of cockpit detail? The fuselage sidewall look particularly bare.

Looks like it will take a lot of care removing the undercarriage parts off the runner without breaking them.

I call those attachment points “nubs” and they can be a real pain, especially on small parts.

AW

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress while waiting for weather to progress F-89. 4 bits of PE added to seat; 6 bits in kit, no instructions, so went on Dream Models FB page. Fiddly. Also drop tank done and primed. Will speed up when F-89 done.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

More progress while waiting for F-89 to complete. 

- drop tank painted

- paint on wings where holes for pylons filled - happy they cant be seen

- multiple thin white coats on intake insides (white is hard to brush and get cover - but light grey is very easy) - and now masked and external colour on front ends - can see will be less than perfect when pieces glued

- instrument decals on - need a matt coat - not perfect - but will be closed up because the canopy opening mechanism isnt there and building that is beyond my current abilities

- ejection seat painted - that I am happy with

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Glad you liked the pit Craig. Took a few photos before closed up. Pleased with shadow under the PE belt and silver button on the stick.

Also of the two 2 part intakes painted inside white and top colour to a distance. I said it was going OOB but the vague bumps where the cannon muzzles are were rubbish; so I have twist drilled 0.7mm holes; need a bit of polishing out of visible gouge marks.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

With the F-89J done time to close up this one.

DreamModel have got most of the joins on real panel lines and allowed for different front ends as well as getting the intakes together nicely, but that means 4 sub assemblies or 8 parts all coming to together at the rear of the pit / at the intakes. And what I didn't like was having to flex the LREX to get the intakes in, they didn't break but they do need a smear of filler (and behind the pit). The other interesting idea is to make the HUD quite deep; great you don't lose it but it does fill a big hole in the cockpit coaming. So far I have not broken any of the 3 small vertical aerials which are moulded with the fuselage; keeps them nice and thin which seems to be DreamModel's driver. Got to prime and refill and sand as necessary, then get tailfin on. Looks like a F-5 now.

I bought the Master cannons and pitot; not sure whether to put the cannons on before or after main painting. Thoughts?

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

That looks to be coming together well despite all the joints Chris. As for what point to fit the barrels; depends whether you're better at gluing tiny parts or masking them ;) 

Neither; so l have painted, and will add them now. Macro photo shows still some filling work to do behind cockpit; one coat a day with enamels makes for slow progress. :waiting:

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

Ok there are 6 clear parts on this sprue; and there's a different sprue for the 2 seater so that's instructions are no help(this time):

1. square - no idea
  2. windscreen - ok
  3. canopy - ok
  4. flat bent - no idea
  5. flat bent - no idea
  6. HUD - ok

Any ideas on what 1, 4 and 5 are meant to be? I cant see what they should be or where they could go.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Ok there are 6 clear parts on this sprue; and there's a different sprue for the 2 seater so that's instructions are no help(this time):

1. square - no idea
  2. windscreen - ok
  3. canopy - ok
  4. flat bent - no idea
  5. flat bent - no idea
  6. HUD - ok

Any ideas on what 1, 4 and 5 are meant to be? I cant see what they should be or where they could go.

Chris

spacer.png

1, 4 and 5 look like the camera windows for the RF-5E variant.  I am guessing Dream Model have moulded one clear sprue for both variants.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Filling and filing done now. Changed my mind after dry fitting; will add cannon after painting. But the HUD piece doesn't fill the gap in the coaming; didn't see that one coming; needs to dry, then fill and paint before canopy on. Dry fitting canopy showed excellent clarity and even if it didn't I'd know the gap was there.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 6

Ahh well, cockpit not as neat as it was after I filled the gap next to the HUD. But clear bits masked and on and first coat of Light Compass Gray. Cycle with enamel paints means finishing on time will be challenging.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3