Zvezda 1/72 Mi-24A Hind

Hello friends,

these weeks were so snowy, it’s a classic winter:

50953796977_2b94e10049_k.jpg

Some progress occurred on the glazing and the fit of these parts was excellent:

51003383478_20307b3dec_k.jpg

Also I installed the left engine cover (such a great fit, too):

51003383643_fa8c150029_k.jpg

All the landing gear parts were glued (except the wiring on MLG struts) before painting - the model becomes heavy and I’ve never trusted the paint-to-paint joints:

51003383448_489d14dabd_k.jpg

An operator’s window is closed, too (It looks great and we’ll see everything through it, as J.M. (@IPMS19) noticed)):

51004085901_9abaac927f_k.jpg

The wings were assembled (except some small bits) and I think it’s time for the masking. Stay tuned! 🐈

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

these weeks were so snowy, it’s a classic winter:

50953796977_2b94e10049_k.jpg

Ha, Nicolay, This was, what appeared here in mid Feb. Took more than a week to get rid off it. Funny, how one night can knock out a whole  city traffic system and more.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

51004085901_9abaac927f_k.jpg

The wings were assembled (except some small bits) and I think it’s time for the masking. Stay tuned! 

Looks great so far Nicolay. Keep it up.

Cheers

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

51003383448_489d14dabd_k.jpg

Good job fitting the LG while she’s still open. It was a pain doing it afterwards. Looks like I’ll have to do it again when I get back to my little un.  Lovely detailed work my friend. 👌

Johnny

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Took more than a week to get rid off it.

Yes, it wasn’t so easy! ☃️

Looks great so far Nicolay. Keep it up.

Thank you, Benedikt! 🤝

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Good job fitting the LG while she’s still open. It was a pain doing it afterwards.

I knew it, so it’s better to fit all these tiny strut parts before the painting to be sure that the Hind will be standing still on her legs. 😉

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely detailed work my friend. 👌

Thank you, Johnny! 👏

Thank you for your interest, friends! 😸

• Like 1

Funny, how one night can knock out a whole  city traffic system and more.

The first snow is always a surprise here and somewhat paralysing for traffic too, even if it’s expected! 😹 But this week (until today) it’s about zero and the snow is melted. I love when it’s not so cold... 🥶

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

We don’t seem to know how to cope with snow anymore. More than 10cm here and there’s chaos, probably 5cm in the UK.

The photo pictured above shows 70 cm - that’s how it snowed last two or three weeks! But it’s a spring time, I guess we’ll have a lot of water soon... 😬

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Coming alone very well.

Thank you John, much appreciate it! 🤝

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The first snow is always a surprise here and somewhat paralysing for traffic too, even if it’s expected! 😹 

Hello Nicolay, Yes, but it was no surprise this time. Usually we here have no really hard snow problems in the Münsterland. But some weather conditions can bring this from time to time. This time it was forecasted for the nothern part (Bremen etc.), but it happend a bit more south between the fronts just right here. So it was 50+ cm in two days and sadly very cold over that week. I was just glad that it was a dry snow this time and not the wet one with the very strong winds again  that caused that in 2005 (Slow start as usual but neither a reliable forecast nor internet at that stage for everyone then.) .

sechs-tage-ohne-groesster-stromausfall-d

Cheers Benedikt

• Sad 4

Hello Benedikt,

such a sad things you said. I thought the power line supports are stronger... There were the winds too, but not so much and not so dangerous.

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

I was just glad that it was a dry snow this time and not the wet one with the very strong winds again  that caused that in 2005 (Slow start as usual but neither a reliable forecast nor internet at that stage for everyone then.) .

Cleaning the wet snow is a hard work, happily we’re cleaned the most of it within the first two weeks while it was dry.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 21/06/2021 at 18:09, SallysDad said:

This is such a fascinating build. 

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for having an interest! 😺

Well gents, Johnny (@The Spadgent) triggered some movement on this build and I have some pictures for you...

At first, I finished the wiring on an undercarriage and added a small PE mechanicals:

51898943643_c27edd24b9_k.jpg

The next phase was folding and glueing the photo-etched 2P32M/K-4U launch rails. Note that I haven’t done its wiring yet. On this picture you can see the port test-fitted stub wing pylon and all four assembled launchers:

51899185764_b26e91f735_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😉

• Like 9

Nice! I found those rails on mine. I was going to fit them last. 🤔 I’ll have a look at the construction. Had to re read my whole thread to remember what I was doing. 🤪

wires look good. What’s the green stuff? 🍃

Johnny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice!

Thank you! 🙂

I found those rails on mine. I was going to fit them last. 🤔

Me too, just can’t resist to build them... 😬

What’s the green stuff? 🍃

A liquid mask to protect the plastic from paint. I frequently use it as l love strong plastic-to-plastic joints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done Nikolay !!

Oh Lord, in which part of Russia are you living ??

It's year that I did'nt see that muxh snow...:o

Very fine Hind !! I love that PE parts !!

Stay safe !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well done Nikolay !!

Thank you CC! 😊

Oh Lord, in which part of Russia are you living ??

It's year that I did'nt see that muxh snow...:o

It’s a Moscow! These pictures are from the last year, this winter was a lot more snowy! ❄️☃️

Very fine Hind !! I love that PE parts !!

Stay safe !!

Thank you! 🤝 There was some additional PE parts added... Initial masking was done, so I hope to start paint her soon.

On 06/03/2022 at 21:42, opus999 said:

Nice to see you back at the bench Nikolay!  Those rails are beautifully detailed!

Thank you so much! 🙂 Now I need to add some wiring to the launchers and paint it. I can imagine how it’ll look... 🤩

Thank you for having an interest! 😺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Britmodellers! 👋

I’m not so fast as Johnny (@The Spadgent), but I’m very close to painting the Hind. All the bits and bobs (except the wiring on launchers) are glued and assembled, I even added some rivet decals on the tail with the little help of isopropyl alcohol.

The main rotor assembly got its heating cables:

51942354869_ca8a627dbd_k.jpg

All the openings are masked (I spent two evenings on it! 🤪):

51941043632_5a7211737c_k.jpg

The belly got its detailing and masking, too:

51942197653_fd92f971d8_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😉

• Like 10

Wowa! She’s Looking fantastic. I must thank you again for a bit of a heads up. As much as I’m twitching that you have put all those little Aerials and handles on so soon, I had actually forgotten that I had them to add. The instructions for them are on the back of the IP stuff and as that was done I had totally overlooked them 😳😱. Just gone and looked  and there they are there so more PE bending for me. 🙃 I did notice that you had put the three little aerials on the top of the uppermost intake fan thing. I’m not sure it goes there. There is one under the tail and one on the cockpit. Forgive me if you know different but checking the instructions this seems to be correct. By the way I love whatever you have in the front wheel well. Looks like alien guts.  Great progress sir.

Johnny.

ps. And you do realise I simply have to add the rotor wires now. 😉

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowa! She’s Looking fantastic. I must thank you again for a bit of a heads up.

Thank you Johnny! 🙂

As much as I’m twitching that you have put all those little Aerials and handles on so soon, I had actually forgotten that I had them to add. The instructions for them are on the back of the IP stuff and as that was done I had totally overlooked them 😳😱. Just gone and looked  and there they are there so more PE bending for me. 🙃

All these handles are so small and it was challenging to glue them all... 🙀 So repetitive.

I did notice that you had put the three little aerials on the top of the uppermost intake fan thing. I’m not sure it goes there. There is one under the tail and one on the cockpit. Forgive me if you know different but checking the instructions this seems to be correct.

Looks like we're referencing to different Mi-24A production blocks. There's nothing wrong with instructions and your option, and there's nothing wrong with mine:

spacer.png

I think I need to post a link to a great walkaround here. It's a bit overlooked by me but very informative. And a bit late for the party! 😹

By the way I love whatever you have in the front wheel well. Looks like alien guts.  Great progress sir.

Thanks! 🤝 Yes, the foam behave very crazy with masking fluid... 🍵

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks like we're referencing to different Mi-24A production blocks. There's nothing wrong with instructions and your option, and there's nothing wrong with mine:

spacer.png

I think I need to post a link to a great walkaround here. It's a bit overlooked by me but very informative. And a bit late for the party! 😹

Phew! All good then. 😃
some good ref there by the way. Thanks. 👍

• Like 1

Well,

I’m not having so much progress as @The Spadgent - but yes - it’s time to spray some paint! 😺

Just before painting I decided to try pre shading on the Lady:

51952825039_00e3ebae24_k.jpg

I can paint very thin lines with my airbrush, but I think it’s enough for the camouflage.

Then the light blue was sprayed on an underside of fuselage and stabilisers received a touch of paint along with the gear well doors:

51953117700_1471430959_k.jpg

The tail rotor awaits for its red tips. So, it’s masking time again... 😉

Tanks for having an interest! 👋

• Like 8

On 22/03/2022 at 09:36, The Spadgent said:

Very nice indeed. Your paint work looks very smooth. 🙌👏🙌.

Thank you Johnny, but it’s still somfar away from your skills! 🤝

On 28/03/2022 at 01:30, opus999 said:

That's some serious masking there.

Thank you! It takes me two evenings to do all the masking as accurately as possible.

On 28/03/2022 at 01:30, opus999 said:

I'm getting excited to see the camo!

Me too! 😸 I hope you’ll not be disappointed.

It was a busy week and not so much work was done. I sprayed an XF-65 as a base colour with tiny amount of modulation effect:

51977934493_d0910149bb_k.jpg

That’s how she looks at the moment:
51977861091_adcbc21417_k.jpg

It’s masking time again... 🐈

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
Swapping the photos.
  • Like 4