AC-119K "Shadow" - ancient Italeri kit!

Great job on that old kit, the colours look like they`ve sun bleached under that hot SEA sun so don`t worry too much about them🙂

• Like 1

That's a beautiful model.  I have made the transport C-119 myself and while it's not a "state of the art" kit, it really looks the part when made.  Something that kit gets wrong is the nose-gear door arrangement, as the ones in the kit are about double the required length. This photo shows the actual style:

AC-119K(2)

o

It looks like some aircraft had the lower cockpit windows painted over too - see here:

AC-119K(3)

• Like 3

This is very impressive display of quality craftsmanship.  To make that kit look this good is a testament to your skills as an artist.  I applaud you!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, russ c said:

Great job on that old kit, the colours look like they`ve sun bleached under that hot SEA sun so don`t worry too much about them🙂

Yes that was what I was going for :P They're actually a fair bit darker IRL just under the photo lights came out rather light! Thanks for the compliment!

On 1/2/2021 at 10:13 PM, Sky Keg said:

This is very impressive display of quality craftsmanship.  To make that kit look this good is a testament to your skills as an artist.  I applaud you!!!! :worthy:

Mike

*Blushes* Thank you very much, sir! I shall remember your words next time I drop an airbrush full of paint over a model or glue the wings on wonky :)

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, Irish 251 said:

That's a beautiful model.  I have made the transport C-119 myself and while it's not a "state of the art" kit, it really looks the part when made.  Something that kit gets wrong is the nose-gear door arrangement, as the ones in the kit are about double the required length. This photo shows the actual style:

AC-119K(2)

o

It looks like some aircraft had the lower cockpit windows painted over too - see here:

AC-119K(3)

Thanks for the compliment! Yes I saw from photos that the nose gear well and doors are a cock-up, but by that point I was past filling and sanding stuff and it would have meant filling half the nose gear bay etc. Pure laziness on my part. I'm going to assume that it's a trick of the light with the strangely black appearing windows though, to hide the face that I didn't find that photo of the actual plane I was modelling *cough*. I'm quite pleased that it shows the wing oil cooler ducts though as I forgot to put the kit supplied radiators in, but they're not visible on the real aircraft anyway! 

That looks great. I love Vietnam era gunships (although I wouldn't have loved them if I was at the receiving end of their firepower).

I would not classify the kit as "ancient" though. Yes, it's around 40 years old but it comes from an era where accuracy from manufacturers was getting a lot better - especially compared to the genuinely "ancient era" which for me means the 1950s and 60s. Yes, it has raised panel lines but that to me is no no relevance regarding its classification as "ancient" or "modern".

I get more upset by the excessively deep engraved panel lines of some more modern kits than I do with raised panel lines. For me, the main thing is, accuracy in general outline and ease of fit. Detailed interiors and wheel wells are a bonus, especially in areas that can be seen. Hyper detail in areas that can never been seen is a total waste of time and increases the cost of the kit unnecessarily.

• Like 2

This a great job and pleased it's drawing some well deserved recognition 👏👏👏

Tough job making these older kits look that smooth by modern standards, you made the most of that lockdown, hopefully there'll be another one very soon...

31 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

For me, the main thing is, accuracy in general outline and ease of fit. Detailed interiors and wheel wells are a bonus, especially in areas that can be seen. Hyper detail in areas that can never been seen is a total waste of time and increases the cost of the kit unnecessarily.

Can't agree more Eric!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I would not classify the kit as "ancient" though. Yes, it's around 40 years old but it comes from an era where accuracy from manufacturers was getting a lot better - especially compared to the genuinely "ancient era" which for me means the 1950s and 60s. Yes, it has raised panel lines but that to me is no no relevance regarding its classification as "ancient" or "modern".

Haha, well I'm 36 so since it's older than me that qualifies it, right? There are some accuracy boo-boos like the nose and gear doors but you're right, compared to the odd lumps of plastic from years before it's pretty good. I'm actually with you on the hidden detail areas as well. Why make me pay (and feel like I should paint) areas only I and anyone who can be bothered follow a WIP, will ever see, and make me pay extra for the privilege?

Thanks for the compliments as well; I'm genuinely surprised how many people think it's a cool model!

Legend has it that captured Vietcong documents forbade their troops from firing on "Puff The Magic Dragon", for fear that their actions would anger the beast and they would feel the full force of its venom. How true this story is I have no idea, but I've always thought it's a great one. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, burncpt said:

Haha, well I'm 36 so since it's older than me that qualifies it, right? There are some accuracy boo-boos like the nose and gear doors but you're right, compared to the odd lumps of plastic from years before it's pretty good. I'm actually with you on the hidden detail areas as well. Why make me pay (and feel like I should paint) areas only I and anyone who can be bothered follow a WIP, will ever see, and make me pay extra for the privilege?

Thanks for the compliments as well; I'm genuinely surprised how many people think it's a cool model!

Yes - I'm an "oldie" so 1980 to me is very recent history🙂

With the exception of raised panel lines, model manufacturers were turning out some very good kits in the years (say) 1973 to 1990 or so. Engraved lines started becoming the norm in the 90s.