AC-119K "Shadow" - ancient Italeri kit!

Hi all,

Actually built this around May in lockdown but never got around to putting it up as it's not much of a looker (first one after 6 years clean of sniffing poly cement). Thought as it's an old and kinda crappy kit I would smash through it without a care but of course got suckered into trying to do panel lines and reshaping the horrible up-turned nose they gave it.

Colours are way off but altogether not unhappy with the camo pattern. Decals were horrible, and unfortunately in spite of some lead in the nose she plants that butt hard on the tarmac 😕

5rtFhfs.jpg

JM69Aro.jpg

qtvHoaF.jpg

Ens5p8f.jpg

Go easy on her :P

• Like 62

Hah, well certainly ancient enough to have hulking great raised panel lines. But I do have to say the detail parts like cockpit and wheels etc. were quite finely moulded, and for such a monster kit it went together quite well. Especially the windscreen which I was seriously doubtful would line up but slotted in satisfyingly. 

15 minutes ago, David H said:

I think it looks cool. That nose looks like it came off a B-52G!

But... If the Italeri kit is ancient...what does that make the Aurora kit?

-d-

I didn't know there was one! But a google image search makes it look awfully like they're the same mould (bar the K mods and the nose)...

Thanks everyone! I need to do more huge kits like this to use up my venerable pile of Humbrol tins... To be honest, I find them fine (and I quite like the smell of enamels, thanks Screech!) but everyone moans about the quality so I feel like I must be missing something 🤔

Next up, either a 1/48 Dragon Ju-88 or Eduard Il-2M. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

I do like a lumpy bumpy aircraft. For all your misgivings I think this is a smasher :like:. The colours don't seem bad at all, it looks as though its sun faded to me.

Cheers

Pete

Oh boy, well she sure is the queen of lumpy! Struggling to think of lumpier - perhaps we need an "oddly-shaped" aircraft thread... Glad you like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Binbrooksumpy said:

That is fabulous  chunky monster of a kit. Your props look awesome 

I'm doing same a/c, similar scheme.  How did you find u/c legs, they look a bit puny to support the large amount of lead/depleted uranium  needed.

Oh good luck! Yeah the props were a labour of er... labour? But they do set the camo off nicely and there wasn't too much swearing. I did do a few corrections but also cocked up things which I'm glad haven't been noticed so far, like the position of the antennae on either side of the top of the cabin, or completely forgetting to fit the wing radiators (luckily pretty much hidden anyway).

Landing gear is indeed spindly but it seems strong enough. Lord knows how much depleted uranium you'll need to get it to sit on the nose. Perhaps a trip to your local white dwarf star for some super-dense post-supernova matter might do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, burncpt said:

Landing gear is indeed spindly but it seems strong enough. Lord knows how much depleted uranium you'll need to get it to sit on the nose. Perhaps a trip to your local white dwarf star for some super-dense post-supernova matter might do it.

Err yeah, i would have used star matter, but unfortunately I used it all up trying to get my Airfix 1/48 Canberra to sit on its nose. 😃

Gorgeous,.... I`ve always liked this variant of the C-119 and the Italeri kit is one of their best,....... you`d added the last final magic ingredient to make it a stunning model,..... brilliant stuff,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

She's a very fine "Shadow", indeed. As I understand it, when the North Vietnamese anti-aircraft defenses reached a good level of sophistication, the age of the fixed-wing gunship started drawing to a close. Having said that, the AC-130U Spectre was used in both Gulf Wars, but the US air-force was very careful to use it in "lower-threat" environments.  

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Like 1