How to deal with a doodlebug!

Looking very sharp.  It’s the light & guttering that make it.  I still like spotting war time factories painted in camo.  There are still a few out there.  The side of the old Marconi factory near Chelmsford station use to still have faded camo painted on it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bar side said:

Looking very sharp.  It’s the light & guttering that make it.  I still like spotting war time factories painted in camo.  There are still a few out there.  The side of the old Marconi factory near Chelmsford station use to still have faded camo painted on it.

Cheers mate. The guttering is a drinking straw cut down the length and i found the light in a box of plastic bits.

I have a friend who was a mod on the airfield research group that kindly sent me some cracking pictures.

The Belfast truss hanger at Ratcliffe was great looking (its been repainted now) and I based those doors on its design.

Also have some great pictures of the original 'no smoking' sign that is still there. I will incorporate that somehow.

Been there with the drinking straws & scale signs. This is a micro diorama I built for a model railway group a few years back.  You need the drain pipes & bits to make it

J8W2eDd.jpg

The building in the background is a photo and the signs are from the same photo, as are the windows & doors.  Even the cladding is from the photo & you don’t need 3D for oo gauge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Been there with the drinking straws & scale signs. This is a micro diorama I built for a model railway group a few years back.  You need the drain pipes & bits to make it

J8W2eDd.jpg

The building in the background is a photo and the signs are from the same photo, as are the windows & doors.  Even the cladding is from the photo & you don’t need 3D for oo gauge.

I genuinely thought that was a picture of a real factory at first. Fantastic model. 

This is a workshop diorama I made last year. Really enjoy adding the details. That "PeterHead" sign was hand made with masked off lettering and airbrushing. Took me longer to make than the entire workshop LOL.

pm7jSauUj

• Like 3

Very nice.  There was a barn at the edge of Boxted airfield that I use to drive by that looked just like that.  I am sure there has never been an RAF facility that didn’t have signs up all over the place.  I tend to cheat and use a photo printed to size.  Taping up & spraying is def8nitely going above & beyond.  Lovely dio & the Hurricane isn’t bad either!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bar side said:

Very nice.  There was a barn at the edge of Boxted airfield that I use to drive by that looked just like that.  I am sure there has never been an RAF facility that didn’t have signs up all over the place.  I tend to cheat and use a photo printed to size.  Taping up & spraying is def8nitely going above & beyond.  Lovely dio & the Hurricane isn’t bad either!

Cheers mate. Printed to size would be ideal, I just dont have assess to a desktop printer at home during lock-down. LOL

That sign I made was originally intended for a different diorama. The historians will rightly say 19 Squadron didnt use Hurricanes, but the late war P51 scene I made didn't exactly go to plan. I was darned if I was going to throw away that sign after painting those letters,.. so its now a permanent resident in that time traveling workshop.  

Edited by Suprastar3000