Best publication on the Fw-190? Your opinion needed

Doc72

On 1/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, SafetyDad said:

Try here  https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search?q=Fw190&cgid=ALL for MUCH better prices

Don't bother with ordering from WHSmIth's. I tried a while ago and - maybe a month later - was informed that they were "waiting for another print-run" (no date given for said run). I took this to mean that there was no chance of them supplying it.  

How is the Harleyford book " Focke Wulf 190 - the Story of a Famous Fighter" by Heinz Nowarra  rated?

In his book on the Bf109, the caption for a photo of a Me410's port engine (wing visible aft and above the exhaust stubs) reads: "Bf109G-8 nach dem Zusammenbruch 1945 in Bardufoss/Norwegen" (Bf109G-8 after surrender 1945 at Bardufoss/Norway).

This is NOT the onyl blooper.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

A shop here in Germany called Berliner Zinnfiguren has the book Jagdflugzeug Focke Wulf Fw 190,Ta 152 by Peter Rodeike for 58,80 Euro new.

Saluti

Giampiero

They have to sell it at that price, as long as it hasn't been withdrawn by the publisher or is used (they could easily sell it as such, I guess...). I bought mine new from Lehmann's two or three years ago, but they sold out.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, Michael louey said:

Hi Tempestfan,

Just a note about the 2 editions - I have the English version by Eagle Editions and its a great book. I did read somewhere that Axel Urbanke did note that even though the German version doesn't have the colour art, it does have extra photos not included in the Eagle Editions book. Not sure about the picture quality comparison as I've never seen the German edition in person.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for that info, Michael. I will ask him next year at Lingen if it happens and both of us manage to be there (he surely will).

19 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

How is the Harleyford book " Focke Wulf 190 - the Story of a Famous Fighter" by Heinz Nowarra  rated?

"Outdated" is a rather kind word. I'd stay clear of just about everything he wrote, unless you are a collector and/or love classic books. Most of his work is fossilic, AFAIK he only spoke German, and much of it is based on tertiary or worse source material (or possibly none at all). You will find photos in his work clipped from mags or newspapers... And I won't say anything about stuff he wrote about non-German subjects. 

2 hours ago, Richard502 said:

In his book on the Bf109, the caption for a photo of a Me410's port engine (wing visible aft and above the exhaust stubs) reads: "Bf109G-8 nach dem Zusammenbruch 1945 in Bardufoss/Norwegen" (Bf109G-8 after surrender 1945 at Bardufoss/Norway).

This is NOT the onyl blooper.

Definitely not - I was able to spot as a schoolboy that the 109E in close chase of a Spit was a staged propaganda shot (not least because of the most unlikely single letters on the Spit) not an actual combat shot, as his caption implied.

On 15/09/2021 at 22:06, spruecutter96 said:

Don't bother with ordering from WHSmIth's. I tried a while ago and - maybe a month later - was informed that they were "waiting for another print-run" (no date given for said run). I took this to mean that there was no chance of them supplying it.  

That’s quite an old link now. I remember checking at the time that it worked because the prices were excellent. But the Classic series sell very quickly. However, as I originally mentioned, they do republish from time to time. 

The Book Depository are listing all 3 Classic volumes on the Fw 190 as available for pre-order now. And slightly discounted on RRP. 

SD