Best publication on the Fw-190? Your opinion needed

Doc72

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Scored the classic book Vol.3 here in NL for only €70, guy knew its worth, but wanted to ask an honest price..🤷🏾‍♂️

I'm very pleased to hear it - I still maintain, despite alternatives posted here, that the Classic Books are the very best references on the 190. 

They DO republish from time to time - so keep an eye out!

:like:

SD

19 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

I'm very pleased to hear it - I still maintain, despite alternatives posted here, that the Classic Books are the very best references on the 190. 

They DO republish from time to time - so keep an eye out!

:like:

SD

had a bit of a leaf trough....wow...I understand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, Bozothenutter said:

Well, fingers crossed, have won an Ebay auction for vol 1&2, seller messaged me he will post on monday!

Took a while  but they arrived and are in excellent condition!

Now looking on the Crecy website what I'd like to convert my pre-order to...😉

On 2/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bozothenutter said:

Just recieved the Valiant Fw 190 combo.....very happy camper!

..what is about these that you would recommend? I notice you have the Rodeike volume and you still went after these?  FWIW Mortons are about to publish a nice-looking monograph on the Fw 190 and P&S cover the Fw 190 in their Air War Archive (barely a tenner on that well-known online book selling site, Wordery)

1 minute ago, FalkeEins said:

..what is about these that you would recommend? I notice you have the Rodeike volume and you still went after these?  FWIW Mortons are about to publish a nice-looking monograph on the Fw 190 and P&S cover the Fw 190 in their Air War Archive (barely a tenner on that well-known online book selling site, Wordery)

depends on the level of knowledge I guess.

For you as an expert, probably not much new in there, but for me the 'all in one place' approach works.

They start with a history of the type, then onto the differences, the available kits with comments on accuracy and necessary mods, finished off with detail pics, accessories and decals.

The last two are just listed, with no mention of quality or accuracy.

Included are scale drawings, but I never really get the value of those, as in my opinion unless they are copies of factory drawings, they are just artists impression.

comparison with the Rodeike book:

The text is more complete with Rodeike, as it should be being a history, not neccesarily geared to the modeler.

The Rodeike book is really really let down by its print quality though. They used what looks like standard 80gr paper, while the printing process used does the photo reproduction no favours at all.

Next few weeks I'll be reading the classic series....😃

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Possibly not so much from the technical aspect, but what I've gathered here is that the JaPo Dora books are just about the epitome of scholarship in research. And they equal with unobtainium. By chance, I stumbled across a seller who had both volumes on offer for EUR 250 as a set. Not cheap, but I think they never were, even when they were on general sale. The few that seem to be available command about this price for one volume. As I have some soft spot for the Doras, I couldn't resist. And as the seller has a "only once" s&h policy, I had to spread the cost over a couple more books :-). Also included in the parcel will be JaPo's 109K camouflage book - which also is incredibly expensive usually -, and their small Dora paperback. Plus some other goodies, including two by Mr Streetly on 100 Group at a price you can only recycle the books.

What I want you all - please - to do is:

- a) say "You did perfectly the right thing!";

- b) tell me if I should place a repeat order if all goes well, as the seller also has the two Classic Merrick/Kiroff Lw Camo books for 250; which again isn't cheap, but... also a shedload of Grub Street books, but I already have all the cheap ones.

Please note I may not immediately listen to people telling me I should seek a psychiatrist's advice. Even if I know I should 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Focke Wulf Fw 190/Ta 152 by Manfred Griehl and Joachim Dressel is an excellent book.It can be found for around 28 Euro here in Germany.The Flugzeug Classic Special by Dietmar Hermann are also recommended.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri

On 6/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, tempestfan said:

Possibly not so much from the technical aspect, but what I've gathered here is that the JaPo Dora books are just about the epitome of scholarship in research. And they equal with unobtainium. By chance, I stumbled across a seller who had both volumes on offer for EUR 250 as a set. Not cheap, but I think they never were, even when they were on general sale. The few that seem to be available command about this price for one volume. As I have some soft spot for the Doras, I couldn't resist. And as the seller has a "only once" s&h policy, I had to spread the cost over a couple more books :-). Also included in the parcel will be JaPo's 109K camouflage book - which also is incredibly expensive usually -, and their small Dora paperback. Plus some other goodies, including two by Mr Streetly on 100 Group at a price you can only recycle the books.

What I want you all - please - to do is:

- a) say "You did perfectly the right thing!";

- b) tell me if I should place a repeat order if all goes well, as the seller also has the two Classic Merrick/Kiroff Lw Camo books for 250; which again isn't cheap, but... also a shedload of Grub Street books, but I already have all the cheap ones.

Please note I may not immediately listen to people telling me I should seek a psychiatrist's advice. Even if I know I should 😉

you did right!

any link to the seller?, He might have stuff I want aswell!

On 6/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Focke Wulf Fw 190/Ta 152 by Manfred Griehl and Joachim Dressel is an excellent book.It can be found for around 28 Euro here in Germany.The Flugzeug Classic Special by Dietmar Hermann are also recommended.

Saluti

Giampiero

Thanks for that, looking now!

On 6/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Saluti

Giampiero

I'm not a big fan of Griehl/Dressel, to be honest...

39 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

you did right!

any link to the seller?, He might have stuff I want aswell!

Thanks for that, looking now!

I could, but then you may buy books I'm after too 😜😜

4 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

care to share why?

I like to have input before buying.

indifferent photo selection I imagine. They are not - and Hermann is the same- writers who have spent any time getting acquainted with the vets so most of their illustrations are bog-standard factory views and not especially interesting

On 6/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, Bozothenutter said:

care to share why?

I like to have input before buying.

It's not this specific book as such. It may have its virtues, and I prefer a book having nice clear archive pics that are correctly captioned because the originals were over one where any captions are pure guesswork... If you can get it at a good price, go for it, it certainly won't hurt. I just had a quick look into my copy, Dora section of course, and a big problem is they simply can't write coherently (in my [not?] very humble opinion). The first four pages or so mainly consist of quotes from various RLM meeting minutes apparently, but there is no real timeline, and in one spot what I consider three contradicting sentences in a row. I could quote them but are too tired. If you happen to be at Lingen next March, give me a ping in time and I'll bring my copy so you may have a look yourself. 

• Like 1

Was able to find a second hand copy, and @FalkeEins, @tempestfan, I see what you both mean. It's more on an infodump than a properly written book.(not unlike the Rodeike book)

Picture wise, indifferent is the right term  while a lot of the pictures are interesting closeups,  with emphasis on weapon installation, but often with little or no relevance to the surrounding text.

On the plus side, its picture reproduction is much better than the Rodeike book.

On a different note, anybody know how to remove the smell of cigarette smoke from a book? 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, Bozothenutter said:

Bagging with baking soda for a day or so is the solution to the smoky smell.

That’s a very useful tip, I may use it on a few books. Otherwise, a couple of years in smoke-free open storage will dissipate most of the smell, but baking soda sounds a lot quicker. That‘s why I tell the cats to only smoke on the terrace as I do 😉

Returning to 190s, for some inexplicable reason I looked on that Seattle-based shopping site, and guess what: They currently have Urbanke‘s Green Hearts - First in Combat for under € 60 - new! The German version is still available from the publisher for € 50, but I do not trust their printing quality is that good, and,AFAIK, their version does not include the colour artwork.

Not 190 related, but also bought on that site, I just received today Ginter Naval Fighters 108 F4H-1 Birth of a Legend by @Tailspin Turtle - yet to have more than a quick glance but it looks like it answers all the questions on very early Phantoms I would never even have thought about without having the Book. Great stuff and useful 190 antidote 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tempestfan said:

That’s a very useful tip, I may use it on a few books. Otherwise, a couple of years in smoke-free open storage will dissipate most of the smell, but baking soda sounds a lot quicker. That‘s why I tell the cats to only smoke on the terrace as I do 😉

Returning to 190s, for some inexplicable reason I looked on that Seattle-based shopping site, and guess what: They currently have Urbanke‘s Green Hearts - First in Combat for under € 60 - new! The German version is still available from the publisher for € 50, but I do not trust their printing quality is that good, and,AFAIK, their version does not include the colour artwork.

Not 190 related, but also bought on that site, I just received today Ginter Naval Fighters 108 F4H-1 Birth of a Legend by @Tailspin Turtle - yet to have more than a quick glance but it looks like it answers all the questions on very early Phantoms I would never even have thought about without having the Book. Great stuff and useful 190 antidote 😉

I think I have a Falcon transkit for a F4H-1 somewhere, bought it for the F-105 parts.

My first foray into vacform....

2 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

A shop here in Germany called Berliner Zinnfiguren has the book Jagdflugzeug Focke Wulf Fw 190,Ta 152 by Peter Rodeike for 58,80 Euro new.

Saluti

Giampiero

That's where I got mine

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, tempestfan said:

Hi Tempestfan,

Just a note about the 2 editions - I have the English version by Eagle Editions and its a great book. I did read somewhere that Axel Urbanke did note that even though the German version doesn't have the colour art, it does have extra photos not included in the Eagle Editions book. Not sure about the picture quality comparison as I've never seen the German edition in person.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey