DAP Bristol Beaufighter Mk.21

2996 Victor

Dear All,

I'm hoping that an erudite fellow BM-er may be able to tell me whether there are any externally visible differences between the Australian DAP-built Beaufighter XXI and the UK-built TF.X?

As you may be able to guess, I'm interested in doing a 1/72 XXI using the Airfix kit, and as far as I can make out, the two variants used the same engine (Hercules XVII), and the only differences are the lack of a dorsal gun, and the XXI having two 0.50cal machine guns in each wing. Are there any other differences that I need to take into account?

Many thanks for any help :)

Happy New Year,

Mark

22 minutes ago, rossm said:

There's the autopilot (?) bulge in front of the windscreen.

15 minutes ago, rossm said:

Someone doing the same thing

Hi @rossm,

many thanks for your posts - you're absolutely right, the bulge is for the Sperry autopilot - I've just been looking at the website of the Australian National Aviation Museum, and at photos of their Mk.XXI A8-39.

Thanks also for the link to @Beggsy's build thread, which I'll have a proper read through in a minute! Sounds like there aren't many differences, and the overall Foliage Green schemes are quite tempting!

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks again to @rossm for the links to @Beggsy's build thread. The High Planes Models conversion set is still available here, so needless to say one has been ordered! I've also ordered two sets of their fin/rudder corrections, as I've got a Mk.Ic to build with a HPM conversion set as well!

Any other comments/thoughts/observations on the DAP-built Mk.XXI will be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Mark

And another question...... :) Which style of wheels should they be? Five slot hub like this or plain hub like this? Or either? The Mk.XXI in the Australian National Aviation Museum seems to have plain hubs, but the photograph on their website isn't tremendously clear, and of course they may not be original wheels.....

Enough questions for one day!

Cheers,

Mark

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Novascale's decal set N-72026 looks quite interesting, with some individual artwork on the aeroplanes' rudders. Any thoughts on Novascale?

You might want to search AMI for various thoughts on Novascale. Most negatives are down to the physical decal printing rather than colour or accuracy.  It seems as if you can find them as Aussie Decals rather than Novascale you will get a much better product.

50772463186_daced5d30c_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

You might want to search AMI for various thoughts on Novascale. Most negatives are down to the physical decal printing rather than colour or accuracy.  It seems as if you can find them as Aussie Decals rather than Novascale you will get a much better product.

50772463186_daced5d30c_h.jpg

Hi Ed,

many thanks for the heads-up there - I'll see what I can find out, but its a pity if the printing quality is a let down.

Kind regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, GMK said:

Minor nomenclature nitpick - the DAP Beaufighters were Mk 21s, not Mk XXI. Not sure why Australia used Arabic numerals for their Beaufighter designations, but they did. 🤷‍♂️

Hi,

many thanks - I always like to get things right, so it's much appreciated :)

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2996 Victor changed the title to DAP Bristol Beaufighter Mk.21
7 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Another decal option is DK 72001 "Beaufigther in RAAF service, which has A8-27 DU-A in overall foliage green.

If you can't find Aussie Decals A72026 near you, send me a PM.

/Finn

Hi Finn,

many thanks for your post and kind offer - it looks like Aussie Decals A72026 is available from Misterkit in Italy, so I think I should be able to order a set from there. Thanks also for the pointer to the DK Decals set as well. I've heard that DK Decals are well-researched and good quality, so I may also look into their set.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The DAP BeaufighterMk.21 was essentially a TF.Mk.X with Hercules XVIII engines and heavier fire-power, but with torpedo equipment, radar, and dorsal fin removed. The Hercules Mk.XVIII was essentially a Mk.XVII, but with the supercharger 'S' gear ratio re-activated, giving the aircraft a slightly improved 'hot temp and high altitude' performance. The engine complete with cowling, accessories, exhaust collector and flame dampers, etc was supplied as a complete power egg, i.e. everything forward of the firewall. Air filters were also fitted on top of the cowlings. There were also quite a few system changes made for Australian production of the Beaufighter. Some of the mods on the Mk.21 :

• Fairing in front of windscreen for autopilot. Initially intended for Jack and Heinz unit, then a Sperry unit. The autopilot was only fitted to one A/C for trials and never fitted to operational A/C, although the fairing remained.
  • Larger, clear cupola over observer's position. This could be  opened at the rear to allow a machine gun to be fitted.
  • Wing armament changed to four 0.5" Browning machine guns. These could be replaced by fuel cells if required.
  • Provision for bomb carriers and rockets under the wings.
  • Pneumatic cocking for the four 20mm Hispano cannon to improve harmonisation.
  • Provision for a 2000lb bomb or 200 imp gallon tank under the fuselage.
  • Tail wheel was standard Dowty shock strut unit, but with a locally designed hydraulic shimmy damper fitted.
  • Main undercarriage nacelle doors were made from pressed metal, not the built up, 'ribbed' structure on Brit built A/C.
  • The fuel system was redesigned and the controls repositioned.
  • Electrical and radio installations redesigned to suit RAAF requirements.

Only a few of the early production A/C were fitted with the wing-mounted Brownings. The RAAF preferred the extra range given by replacing those guns with fuel tanks. The four cannon, supplemented by rockets and/or bombs gave more than enough striking power against ground targets. The first Beaufighter Mk.21, A8-1 was flown on 26 May 1942 and delivered to the RAAF on 31 May. The last of 364 A/C was delivered in January 1946.

Beaufighter Mk.21 A/C were fitted with plain wheel hubs and, generally, tyres with a square block tread pattern, although these were generally covered when the A/C were parked in the open on northern airfields, as the sun could cause severe damage to the tyres.

Interesting that you should pick a No. 83 "Spookus Sneakinus" Squadron A/C as your subject. Their A/C certainly had colourful emblems, but they only flew two ops before the war's end!

I'll try and answer some of your colour queries on your other thread, HTH the above helps,

Peter M

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 08:59, Magpie22 said:

Hi Mark,

The DAP BeaufighterMk.21 was essentially a TF.Mk.X with Hercules XVIII engines and heavier fire-power, but with torpedo equipment, radar, and dorsal fin removed. The Hercules Mk.XVIII was essentially a Mk.XVII, but with the supercharger 'S' gear ratio re-activated, giving the aircraft a slightly improved 'hot temp and high altitude' performance. The engine complete with cowling, accessories, exhaust collector and flame dampers, etc was supplied as a complete power egg, i.e. everything forward of the firewall. Air filters were also fitted on top of the cowlings. There were also quite a few system changes made for Australian production of the Beaufighter. Some of the mods on the Mk.21 :

• Fairing in front of windscreen for autopilot. Initially intended for Jack and Heinz unit, then a Sperry unit. The autopilot was only fitted to one A/C for trials and never fitted to operational A/C, although the fairing remained.
  • Larger, clear cupola over observer's position. This could be  opened at the rear to allow a machine gun to be fitted.
  • Wing armament changed to four 0.5" Browning machine guns. These could be replaced by fuel cells if required.
  • Provision for bomb carriers and rockets under the wings.
  • Pneumatic cocking for the four 20mm Hispano cannon to improve harmonisation.
  • Provision for a 2000lb bomb or 200 imp gallon tank under the fuselage.
  • Tail wheel was standard Dowty shock strut unit, but with a locally designed hydraulic shimmy damper fitted.
  • Main undercarriage nacelle doors were made from pressed metal, not the built up, 'ribbed' structure on Brit built A/C.
  • The fuel system was redesigned and the controls repositioned.
  • Electrical and radio installations redesigned to suit RAAF requirements.

Only a few of the early production A/C were fitted with the wing-mounted Brownings. The RAAF preferred the extra range given by replacing those guns with fuel tanks. The four cannon, supplemented by rockets and/or bombs gave more than enough striking power against ground targets. The first Beaufighter Mk.21, A8-1 was flown on 26 May 1942 and delivered to the RAAF on 31 May. The last of 364 A/C was delivered in January 1946.

Beaufighter Mk.21 A/C were fitted with plain wheel hubs and, generally, tyres with a square block tread pattern, although these were generally covered when the A/C were parked in the open on northern airfields, as the sun could cause severe damage to the tyres.

Interesting that you should pick a No. 83 "Spookus Sneakinus" Squadron A/C as your subject. Their A/C certainly had colourful emblems, but they only flew two ops before the war's end!

I'll try and answer some of your colour queries on your other thread, HTH the above helps,

Peter M

Hi Peter,

thank you for your comprehensive post - it's really very much appreciated!

Would it be fair to say that, aside from the dorsal fin and specific Coastal Command equipment, it seems like most of the alterations from TF.X to Mk.21 were internal? And presumably as the differences between the Hercules XVII and XVIII related to the supercharger, there were no externally visible differences, e.g. to the cowling or exhausts?

Interesting that the autopilot fairing was retained even though not fitted - quite a distinctive feature. Also that the wing-mounted 0.50cal Brownings were mostly deleted, although an understandable trade-off for useful extra range. Thanks for confirming the wheel type as well - I'll be ordering some Barracuda Studio resin wheels soon!

I hope you won't mind if I ask a couple more questions:

• Were there permanent mounting points for the under-fuselage and under-wing ordnance or hard points for detachable racks?
  • Were the nacelle undercarriage doors pressed in one piece? If so, presumably there were smooth externally.

Lastly, being an ab initio RAAF modeller, I still know very little about the squadrons and their deployment. 93 Sqn's aircraft looked interesting to me in an, "Oooo, that's pretty!" sort of way :D and as they were late into the fray I think I may not stay with one of their aircraft for my subject: the High Planes conversion set has some colour schemes included as well, so the jury's still out on that one!

Thanks again for your help and info.

Happy New Year and kind regards,

Mark