From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

Most of today was spent in Hereford at an Artistic blacksmith festival. Something my son wants to pursue as a career. 
some good stuff on show.

51961821372_4d96a61db6_b.jpg 51961821697_e5dc24085b_b.jpg

Brownie points earned I managed to get to  Some time at the bench ahead of the Mother’s Day CraZynEss tomorrow.

At last the undercarriage started to get added. I forgot how much of a PITA they were to fit!  No real connection points to speak of for load bearing components and multi part to boot. 😬🙄

left till the last minute again. You’d think I’d learn from last time.

Eventually they got settled.

The front. Not so bad.

51961821462_e6d6db49ef_b.jpg

And the rear. A bit of a struggle.

51963375835_800cb9ce3a_b.jpg

I hate that part. 😱

The decals got added on the main rotors.

51962818141_8f6de314f6_b.jpg

During this section I somehow managed to twist and snap off the attachment point to the main fuselage. 😫 but with a choice drill bit some whittling and a few drops of TET we’re back in the game.

51963375840_e6bc152146_b.jpg

Decals for the tail rotors. My ref has no red tips so I’m leaving them off.

51963100899_b69e242209_b.jpg

A wee bit of masking for the tyres. I did those with a cocktail stick and a fresh blade.  So tiny compared to the 1/48 ones.

51961821387_918acd8a04_b.jpg

Some decals on the rocket pods.

51963375815_d9723f4831_b.jpg

I had planned on post shading but I think with some weathering and a flat coat these will look just fine.

Not wanting to go down without a fight. The tail skid thing. You just need to balance this thing together and magically glue it on.

51963376090_eec75860d9_b.jpg

Somehow amidst much Anglo Saxon I managed to get it in place.  And that as they say is that. I don’t think I’ll get any time tomorrow so fingers crossed for next week.

Thanks for dropping in. Hope you’re enjoying the build.

Have a great weekend chums.

Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 14

A quick WTF update. Just thought I’d micro sol the decals on the pods.  Silly me I hadn’t top coated. 😬 the silver went super dull and looked a bit grey😫😫😫. I know I’ll top coat and dull it down with weathering and a flat coat.

I have Tamiya gloss coated over this stuff loads so what can go wrong?

whaaaaaaaa? 😤😱😱😱😱😖😖

51964014196_564980658c_b.jpg

What the flip????

one step forward two steps back and all that. Before every one was up I’d re sprayed silver. Those decals looked out of place anyway.
I’ll be using the metallic top coat next time. I need to do some tests. Maybe I was holding the can too close? 

Has anyone else had this happen?

Johnny cRaZy paint.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

During this section I somehow managed to twist and snap off the attachment point to the main fuselage. 😫 but with a choice drill bit some whittling and a few drops of TET we’re back in the game.

fwiw Johnny, I think in all my helo builds I have removed the kit attachment and fitted a brass rod. In the MRGB I open up the receiving hole and sleeve it with some brass tube.  That allows for the rotor head to be fitted and removed with ease while still allowing it to rotate - and all much stronger than the kit parts.

Sorry, can't help with the WTF update, but I do know that you'll get it sorted pdq and come out on top once again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hendie said:

fwiw Johnny, I think in all my helo builds I have removed the kit attachment and fitted a brass rod. In the MRGB I open up the receiving hole and sleeve it with some brass tube.  That allows for the rotor head to be fitted and removed with ease while still allowing it to rotate - and all much stronger than the kit parts.

Sorry, can't help with the WTF update, but I do know that you'll get it sorted pdq and come out on top once again

Not a bad idea. I think I need some brass rod. Lord knows about the other thing. I’ll put some of the specific stuff on tonight and see if it works.

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

I couldn't help but chuckle a little when I saw the pic of the tail skid. Zoom in and look at the colours...  

Ian

The yellow? Nachos? 🤪

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

Very nice progress there, Johnny, WTF moment aside.

James

Thanks. I think I know what it was. I sprayed with the can far too close. I guess the pressure and wet mix just pushed the paint around instead of a fine spray settling on a surface. Well you live and learn. 😃

• Like 2

Hope you’re all having a splendid week. A little more work on the little crocodile.

The rocket pods got red painted and a Flory wash was deployed. 

51972372259_2f5d9009c5_b.jpg

Not to worry they all cleaned off quite nicely and ended up just like the ref I have.

51972084706_8cc22ab282_b.jpg

Much better that the crackled mess that I was left with. 😇😀

The wheels got masked and tyres sprayed.

51971081442_14045e929a_b.jpg

And the everything else got a top gloss coat ready for weathering.

51971081482_144a4cfd6e_b.jpg

I do love that blue. 
Flory time. I used dark dirt as I want this to be a little more worn than usual. Here are the main rotors. Still a little wet.

51972154993_bc3a63fc40_b.jpg

Twenty minutes later and everything was dry.

51972084756_28100901df_b.jpg

The fuselage is looking nice as a first pass.

51971081572_9f9ac7eaff_b.jpg

Just have to knock it all back before I can start pass two. I started but had to cut short due to dinner duties. 👨🏻‍🍳

Here is where it got left. 

51971081447_16730b857d_b.jpg

hope you approve. 😍

51972372384_59302e7ec2_b.jpg

More soon. 🥰 Started watching the stash for a new build but I do have my Silent running build to finish too.

Take care chums and as always, happy modelling .

Johnny. 🐊

• Like 12

Nice save on the pods and good work with the washes. I'm with you on the blue, I really rather like the blue camouflage patterns used by the Russians. I've also got a Zvezda Hercules in the stash that'll be done in the 4 colour blues & greys JASDF scheme once I work out what the paints I need are.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, great work—looking forward to how you sort out the rocket pods—that said, I really like the rotors—any further plans for those?  Best, Erwin

Looking …

forward to see how I’m going….

to sort the rocket pods…. 👀

I thought I had ….

Sorted..

the rocket pods. 👀👁🥺😩

The rotors will get knocked back and a second weather pass like the fuselage.

💆‍♂️

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice save on the pods and good work with the washes. I'm with you on the blue, I really rather like the blue camouflage patterns used by the Russians. I've also got a Zvezda Hercules in the stash that'll be done in the 4 colour blues & greys JASDF scheme once I work out what the paints I need are.

James

Oooh sounds fun! And thanks. 😀

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks nice and dirty there Johnny.

Good save on the rocket pods too.

Don`t you hate when life gets in the way.

Simon.

Thanks.  Life eh. Pfft. 🤣🥰😃

• Like 3

Great save and fine weathering John !!

Well done !!

It's time for a Corsair now !!

Can't wait to see the chopper in RFI !!!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree... great save and lovely looking blue!  You've really got me pondering doing a Hind A myself!  (although maybe I should replace the terrible Hind D I did in high school first... 🤔)

• Like 3

On 31/03/2022 at 13:58, corsaircorp said:

Great save and fine weathering John !!

Well done !!

It's time for a Corsair now !!

Can't wait to see the chopper in RFI !!!

Sincerely.

CC

Almost there CC. I have two corsairs. The bent wing one that has to be wing corrected and the Mk 2 jet.  They’re on the list but I’m considering another bi plane next. 🤔

19 hours ago, opus999 said:

I have to agree... great save and lovely looking blue!  You've really got me pondering doing a Hind A myself!  (although maybe I should replace the terrible Hind D I did in high school first... 🤔)

Thank you. If it’s a D you’re after the 1/48 one I did a while back Is brilliant and her 1/72 sister @Nikolay Polyakov did is just as good. So many choices. 🐊🐊🐊

• Like 3

Stunning work, Johnster! 👏

On 25/03/2022 at 01:37, The Spadgent said:

Anyway all the little bits got some Colour including the strangely green wheels.

The wheel hubs is green because they’re made of magnesium.

The painting job looks great, especially under the Flory wash! 🤤 So cool Sir, I hope I will achieve some good results too.

Just having an update on my thread, you’re welcome! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone. A lot has come together and we’re nearly done on this build.

The Flory got knocked right back and now it’s time for all the little bits and bobs to get added.

Those oh so tiny steps and front wheels.

51977878403_9ff7e6e277_b.jpg

The little under tail thingy. 

51976794842_b0225060b4_b.jpg

The UC doors at the rear.

51978083804_930390b770_b.jpg

The front probes.

51976795047_efed43635c_b.jpg

The rear wheels aaand she’s up on her pins. 🤩

51978367160_624b9f670d_b.jpg

These super tiny handles were a real pain to fit but I got em on.

51978367085_2578e439d8_b.jpg

You can still see a bit of the wet glue but that will vanish under the final dull coat.

The weapons are lined up ready to get constructed and wires added.

51977805346_fe19e0b9bd_b.jpg

Front UC doors added and the nose probe just before another gloss coat.

51978367080_92f4a674b6_b.jpg

I’ve been eyeing these up while finishing this off.

51978367330_917611f33e_b.jpg

Twin wing, twin build anyone? 😍

ooooh exciting!! Isn’t it Zero? 

51978367115_29c6d070ca_b.jpg

well that’s just charming that is. 😅
Back to the dish of the day, we got the rotors on. 

51978366840_c0a0f2a8a7_b.jpg

Just a test but it works well.

tail rotors looking good.

51976794822_aea9351690_b.jpg

Weathering pass two tomorrow after a gloss coat.

51978367095_4e6aef7190_b.jpg

Let that dry eh. 💪🙃😀

Thanks for popping in. Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

Johnny. 🐊

• Like 16

44 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Those oh so tiny steps and front wheels.

How did you glued them so accurately? I have some troubles with all these little parts: sometimes I feel that the CA is fragile. Also it causes fogging in some cases... 🤨

47 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Back to the dish of the day, we got the rotors on.

Superb, just superb! 👍 Cool photos Johnny, your composition skills are great, along with the proper light.

Looks like you’re close to RFI! 🕺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

How did you glued them so accurately? I have some troubles with all these little parts: sometimes I feel that the CA is fragile. Also it causes fogging in some cases... 🤨

There’s no secret sauce. I like to paint these things first then pop em on almost at the end. I think they will take the second less intrusive weathering pass without getting pinged off. Tweezers a blob of CA and a steady hand. 

8 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks like you’re close to RFI! 🕺

Yes not long now. I found that extra aerial by the way. Primed and ready for tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the kind words. 😍

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

There’s no secret sauce. I like to paint these things first then pop em on almost at the end.

Looks like I need to try. Usually I prefer the strong plastic-to-plastic joints, but it’s slightly different with PE. I’m avoiding glueing the parts on top of the clear coat; is it reliable/secure?

4 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Tweezers a blob of CA and a steady hand.

I have a tweezers, CA and even the steady hand! 😺

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks like I need to try. Usually I prefer the strong plastic-to-plastic joints, but it’s slightly different with PE. I’m avoiding glueing the parts on top of the clear coat; is it reliable/secure?

Yeah the bond is fine, as these parts are so tiny. I use “rocket glue” as my super glue of choice. The blue one was deployed here.  To be fair you seem to be doing fine the other way around it’s just my fat fingers I’m worried about knocking stuff off. 🙌

8 hours ago, James G said:

Great work Johnny! You don't see many Hind-A's built and you are knocking this one out of the park. 

Thanks. The build wouldn’t have happened if not for @Nikolay Polyakov’s kind gift. So it’s all down to him really.

Johnny

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Seeing your profile pic, I'll bet :whistle:

I'm going to pay a visit to your Hind too Nikolay !!

I hope that everythings are fine for you !!

Stay safe Friend !!

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

There’s no secret sauce. I like to paint these things first then pop em on almost at the end. I think they will take the second less intrusive weathering pass without getting pinged off. Tweezers a blob of CA and a steady hand. 

Yes not long now. I found that extra aerial by the way. Primed and ready for tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the kind words. 😍

Johnny

Double trouble Tiger Moth !! 

Great choice my friend, Just hope that there will be at least a FAA one ???

Tiger Moth is nicknamed Tigre mou by those unrespectful frenchies....

Translating as something like floppy tiger....

I book my seat at the bar for the moyh journey !!

If I can....

Superb Hind by the way !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ooooh Nacho dispenser almost ready for the final reveal.  

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

There’s no secret sauce.

What?  Just plain salsa then I guess?

she's looking very tidy Mr J.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Double trouble Tiger Moth !! 

Great choice my friend, Just hope that there will be at least a FAA one ???

Tiger Moth is nicknamed Tigre mou by those unrespectful frenchies....

Translating as something like floppy tiger....

I book my seat at the bar for the moyh journey !!

If I can....

Superb Hind by the way !!

Sincerely.

CC

Yup I think I’ve decided. I’ll get a thread up and running soon enough. I’ll pop a link up here too. 🤩🙌 it’ll be a pleasure to have you along.  Alas no FAA but not the box offerings either. 😍

7 hours ago, hendie said:

ooooh Nacho dispenser almost ready for the final reveal.  

What?  Just plain salsa then I guess?

she's looking very tidy Mr J.

All done! Nachos away!!!! 😂🌶 And thanks. 😇

• Like 3