From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

16 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- I fear that appliyng rivets over the paint may render the suppression of the film very dangerous for the background paint unless avoiding this step by cutting the film the closest of the rivets as possible and letting them in their original color, which owing to their tiny size at this scale could  be a good alternative of the weathering.

It’s a very unusual way of working with these decals. Cutting the film may cause unstable results, because it’s very thin... But your idea can work in a very artistic way, once properly done. It would be good to have some distance between the rivet rows on the decal paper and cut it according the whole panels, isn’t it?

• Like 1

- Yes it may work, but take care of silvering if the background is not glossy, to help fixing the decals, I some time add  water soluble glue of the kind used for glueing wood  in the dipping water invisible once dry.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Spadgent and Nicolay, I've looked through this thread thoroughly, having only discovered it today. Thank you - great work, guys!

How is progress going? I was quite sad to see nothing posted after April 8...

cheers,

Charles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2021 at 14:17, Charles H said:

Spadgent and Nicolay, I've looked through this thread thoroughly, having only discovered it today. Thank you - great work, guys!

How is progress going? I was quite sad to see nothing posted after April 8...

cheers,

Charles

Glad you like her. Sorry I have been working on my museum build. I was thinking of picking the last few steps up after the Mustang is done but I’m feeling the urge for something fresh.  There’s not much left to finish so I’ll probs finish her off next. Did you see my 1/48 hind? 

Johnny

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:18 AM, The Spadgent said:

Did you see my 1/48 hind? 

Johnny

Only when you told me here - thank you! I'm about 3/4 through the glorious 22 pages "over there" - молодец! очень хорошо!! "Molodesk! Ocheny khurosho!!" I suppose is a bearable translation. Just my hopefully OK simple Russian for "Superb - very good."

Actually, I'm damn speechless at your artistry, like so many on this fine forum! I am loving the digressons into "Hind-dom" too - have always admired this malevolent-looking machine, and hope to grab a 1:72 soon, if local shop still has the box I was eying off, probably too long ago...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 12:39 AM, Charles H said:

Only when you told me here - thank you! I'm about 3/4 through the glorious 22 pages "over there" - молодец! очень хорошо!! "Molodesk! Ocheny khurosho!!" I suppose is a bearable translation. Just my hopefully OK simple Russian for "Superb - very good."

Hi Johnny - I meant "Molodetz" FWIW... as a transliteration from Russian!

On 9/29/2021 at 12:39 AM, Charles H said:

Actually, I'm damn speechless at your artistry, like so many on this fine forum! I am loving the digressons into "Hind-dom" too - have always admired this malevolent-looking machine, and hope to grab a 1:72 soon, if local shop still has the box I was eying off, probably too long ago...

Far, far more importantly, I finished the entire "Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP" thread, which is just magnificent. I can't find it in the RFI forum, though, unless it has a different title there? I was hoping to see lots of photos of the finished masterpiece, or do you intend to do both kits in RFI, when you have your 1:72 Hind finished, too?

Thank you immensely for these magnificent presentations, Sir! I am going to order a 1:72 Zvezda Hind kit online soon, as there are none in stoch locally that I can find so far.

cheers, Charles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:17 AM, The Spadgent said:

Good morning you lot. I did this work a few days ago but held off posting as I thought I might get a bit more done. Alas it was not to be so I figured I’d post up before the weekend flurry. 🤩

This is one of my favorite parts. A lot of the ref I have seen has had this lovely helicopter in a, shall we say well used state. I’m going to reflect this in the paint work so my weathering will be a little heavy. Here is the front seat after a Flory wash. Came out well I think. 😃

50885946301_88a1068b20_b.jpg

I did take a shot of the rear one which is a more detailed affair but the shot I just noticed was blurred so I’ll omit it.

The rear cabin wall.

50886049432_2728c83e4c_b.jpg

The rest of the cabin and bench.

50886049417_485d9f213e_b.jpg

I did think that I wasn’t going to add any scratch details but I had some wire left from the big one so I added a little in the main office before the seats went in.

50885946311_9c01d25aa3_b.jpg

I think the wash has really settled the look I’m going for. Works well with the blue. 🙃

The gear head and engine assembly got added to the roof section.

50886132491_cde02f70f9_b.jpg

A lot of the engine internals will never be seen, which is a shame but as my larger one is open I’m ok with closing up. It does look nice and shiny though.

50885224883_e54c8b13a5_b.jpg

I m not going to add any more.

the cabin walls look nice too.

50885946321_ddfe014d6b_b.jpg

I forgot to do the rear wheel well so I need to add that before closing up. It’s been good leaving it for a few days so I can let the look settle in. 😃

The seats and control sticks got added. Well all but one. ( The main stalk )

50885946286_0f11c9ec91_b.jpg

I’m really happy with the look.

50885946306_5c53f8e543_b.jpg

There are a bunch of other bits that got finished but I didn’t take pics. I’ll fill in the gaps over the weekend.

Thanks for dropping by and checking it my build. 

Hope you all having a great week and...... Happy Friday! 

Johnny. 🐊

Did you use Flory to wash all these parts, Johnny? 

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 01:26, Charles H said:

I can't find it in the RFI forum, though, unless it has a different title there? I was hoping to see lots of photos of the finished masterpiece, or do you intend to do both kits in RFI, when you have your 1:72 Hind finished, too?

Yes I must apologise to the forum and myself. I have about three builds that I didn’t RFI yet. I will catch up when the Mustang is done. So eager to get to the next build I forget to get pics taken. 😱 Bad me. 

Johnny

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 03/02/2021 at 06:31, roginoz said:

Great progress, Johnny  @The Spadgent, I'm loving this build and I learn summat new every time you post.

I like your tip about pre-shading and weathering prior to assembly, the effect is so much better than doing it post assembly imho, and I'm gonna nick it for future builds.

Great stuff, Mr Spadge !

Excuse the late reply. A whole year. 😵💫😵💫

right well. I’m glad the build is helping you with your builds. You have probably done a free by now. Did you do any WIP thread? Send me a link if you did, I’d love to see.

I have just pulled the box from the shelf. She’s back on! 😀

Onward! 🐊

• Like 2

One year, one cave move, one cave re-structure and 🤔🤔 I think five builds finished. While waiting for my Silent running drone build to dry I spotted this box up on the shelf. I decided to take a look and fell straight back in love. 

51885821146_fff4b47aa8_b.jpg

from Russia with love indeed.

I can’t leave this beauty on the shelf. There’s not that much left to do so it’s back on. I hope you will continue to follow along. I need to re read the thread to see what I was doing.

Now where was I ? 

Johnny.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I can’t leave this beauty on the shelf. There’s not that much left to do so it’s back on.

Hello Johnny! 🤝 I haven't had any progress on the Hind since last year, too... 😬 Do it, man! I nedd some inspiration, so I'm watching with an interest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Johnny! 🤝 I haven't had any progress on the Hind since last year, too... 😬 Do it, man! I nedd some inspiration, so I'm watching with an interest.

Hello my friend. It’s been a long time. I hope you’re well. I think now ours the time to finish her off. I thought I’d lost the little box full of bits but a quick wiz around the cave and there it was stashed away nice and safe. Still has the spit wing with the colour choices painted on.  🤩

• Like 2

On 17/02/2022 at 21:43, The Spadgent said:

Hello my friend. It’s been a long time. I hope you’re well. I think now ours the time to finish her off. I thought I’d lost the little box full of bits but a quick wiz around the cave and there it was stashed away nice and safe. Still has the spit wing with the colour choices painted on.  🤩

It’s a great news, Johnny! I’m well and have some progress on little bits, including undercarriage wiring and PE-made launch rails. Hope to post new photos in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s a great news, Johnny! I’m well and have some progress on little bits, including undercarriage wiring and PE-made launch rails. Hope to post new photos in the future.

Hya. Glad you have started up again too. I have been working on my Dewey drone of late but have got the hind into the booth also. Lots of work too but I’ll try and get some pics up soon. 😉😀

• Like 2

Good afternoon. I do Hope that the majority of you are having a pleasant weekend. Let me start this post by saying that due to terrible events over the last few days I’m not sure I’ if the title of this thread is acceptable. I will keep it as is for now as the gift from the wonderful @Nikolay Polyakov was indeed the nature of the title. If this is offensive in any way to anyone please let me know and I will change the title. This thread is in no way political and is only about new distant friendships and plastic model building.

Thankyou.

Right, now that’s over I can get back to my little plastic helicopter. 🐊

paint scheme picked.

51908111149_be19c72c67_b.jpg

I’m really digging that bright blue and it’s very different from my other one.

Ridiculous masking complete. 🤪

51907739606_d69d289e5e_b.jpg

I was able to Paint the belly of the beast.

The first pass went on well.

51907739431_c019be630c_b.jpg

Two passes and done.

51907739441_1281b6603a_b.jpg

The blue is actually more juicy as will see later on. 🍑

Landing gear and wheels got glued and cleaned up. I forgot what it was like to actually build bits from the sprue.

51908060484_0cbb44b016_b.jpg

Seeing Nikolay putting the rails together on his build made me want to do mine too so from this.

51907832918_99e39a0a64_b.jpg

To this.

51907739406_1183269d3c_b.jpg

I’ll add the wire using lead as I really don’t like the flat nature of PE cables. They’re really nice. Tiny though. 
masking removed and you can really see the juicy bottom!  ( @CedB where are you ) 🍑

out for the briefest of moments and.

Hidden.

51907739636_f8ace5609a_b.jpg

Pub quiz tonight so it’ll have to be more next week. Looking forward to getting the camo done. 
Thanks for looking in. 
All comments welcomed and as always chums,

Happy Modelling.

Johnny

• Like 8

@The Spadgent I for one don’t have a problem with your thread title, after all are they going to stop showing or re-title the 1960s Bond film?  Also you can’t tar all Russians with the same brush as you’d use on their present political leader(s).  If the kit was given to you with love or in the spirit of friendship by a friend in/from Russia then there should be no issue.  Whatever else if that kit was a gift from a friend enjoy building it for all you’re worth and think positively of him every time you work on it or look at it.  That’s my two penn’orth, I’m off to the land of the banned.......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

paint scheme picked.

I saw here there few years ago! 🙂 Looks very fresh. 👍

Two passes and done.

I don’t know how to do it your way - so cool and artistic! 👏

I’ll add the wire using lead as I really don’t like the flat nature of PE cables. They’re really nice. Tiny though.

Same here, I made a piping on an undercarriage using the lead wire and I love it. The launchers aren’t ready yet... 😬

Well done, Johnny!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stever219 said:

@The Spadgent I for one don’t have a problem with your thread title, after all are they going to stop showing or re-title the 1960s Bond film?  Also you can’t tar all Russians with the same brush as you’d use on their present political leader(s).  If the kit was given to you with love or in the spirit of friendship by a friend in/from Russia then there should be no issue.  Whatever else if that kit was a gift from a friend enjoy building it for all you’re worth and think positively of him every time you work on it or look at it.  That’s my two penn’orth, I’m off to the land of the banned.......

Thanks. A very sensible 2p right there. 👍

20 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I saw here there few years ago! 🙂 Looks very fresh. 👍

I don’t know how to do it your way - so cool and artistic! 👏

Same here, I made a piping on an undercarriage using the lead wire and I love it. The launchers aren’t ready yet... 😬

Well done, Johnny!

Thanks Nikolay. I’ll try and get a bit more done tonight.

❤️🐊

Hi-de-hi campers. 
The start of another week and a little time at the bench. 🤩

The first pass of green got sprayed.

51910251578_523aaf2117_b.jpg

I want to leave quite a bit of the pre shade visible so I think one more light pass.

51910771125_ffdfb33d90_b.jpg

Yup! That looks about how I want it.

51910771130_51bb05174f_b.jpg

The darker green will lose more but as it’s dark you won’t really get that much contrast. 🤞

And the right way up.

51910472499_9db29b53e7_b.jpg

The bits and bobs got some of the green as well as some spots of primer here and there. 

51910771165_a5316c3df7_b.jpg

More gluing with the rotors. Tail first.

The detail is really great with these kits.

51909183402_156093ec54_b.jpg

Aaaaand very tiny. This bit.

51910771055_fa590646ff_b.jpg

Spent most of this evening being wrestled from the jaws of the Carpet monster. 👹

Now lovingly glued in place.

51910774680_a997b7f2cb_b.jpg

As you can see I seem to have found the zoom button on my new telephone camera. 😍

Not sure if I’ll bother with wires on the head this time.

51910248153_0fc8539e85_b.jpg

It’s possible but I’ll have a think on it as the detail looks great as it is.

51910472419_721aa6448a_b.jpg

The blades got a tidy too.

51909187072_666dde34f3_b.jpg

And here’s one from Saturday night. Thinking of you Alain. @corsaircorp

51907832868_6981ac8c4e_b.jpg

That’s about it for this evening. Hope you’re enjoying the progress after such a long break.

Take care and as always, Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🐊

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Your Hind is on its way to RFI.:partytime:

What do you think of my fav beverage ??

I'm glad that the Blue one is available in U.K !!:penguin:

Fine job my Dear Spad !!!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 01:51, opus999 said:

Yum!

Oh... and the Hind looks terrific too!  :D 🤣

Thanks. 

On 01/03/2022 at 05:32, corsaircorp said:

Your Hind is on its way to RFI.:partytime:

What do you think of my fav beverage ??

I'm glad that the Blue one is available in U.K !!:penguin:

Fine job my Dear Spad !!!

Sincerely.

CC

Chimay is always a winner. I prefer quality over quantity. As the others were chugging pints of nondescript lager I was sipping this Belgian beauty, among other choice favorites of course. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much work at the bench over the last week as this arrived as a gift from Mrs Spadgent.

51933712380_2a7e0d568c_b.jpg

Oh my god it eats spare time time a big time eating thing. 😫😀

I have however begun masking.

51933423554_876961d64f_b.jpg

Fingers crossed for paint this weekend.

Johnny.

• Like 8