From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

On 03/02/2021 at 04:13, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress so far. I also have noticed that these covers won’t fit properly. It’s strange, because other (and more complicated) parts fits great. 😼 Good luck with the painting, companion! 🤝

Odd isn’t it. I’ve bunged some doing in for now. 👌

On 03/02/2021 at 00:30, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny and great save on the engines. 
Pleased the sprue goo is working for you too - great stuff eh? :) 

Thanks. I dont know why I didn’t try it out sooner.

On 03/02/2021 at 06:31, roginoz said:

Great progress, Johnny  @The Spadgent, I'm loving this build and I learn summat new every time you post.

I like your tip about pre-shading and weathering prior to assembly, the effect is so much better than doing it post assembly imho, and I'm gonna nick it for future builds.

Great stuff, Mr Spadge !

Glad you’re enjoying it. Steal away, learning and using new techniques is what keeps this fun. 👌

• Like 3

On 03/02/2021 at 15:09, Hamden said:

Great progress so far, looking forward to seeing this together with its big brother in paint now!

Stay safe            Roger 

Thanks. I have shifted back to the BIG one for a bit now to get some good paint ju ju! 🧑‍🎨👌

On 03/02/2021 at 16:01, Lewis95 said:

Looking good Spad. 

Just bought a tub of Mr Dissolved Putty to handle my stretched sprue style gaps. 

Oooh nice. I don’t have any of that. 

On 05/02/2021 at 03:12, opus999 said:

Oh yeah!!!! Now the canopy's on, it really looks cool.  Love the "A" -- partially because its cool looking and partially because you don't see them that often... 🤔

Thanks. Well you wait for ages and now you have two at once. 🤣👌

• Like 2

Good evening chums. Not much bench time this week but I did manage a little today on both this and her big sister. 
I ordered yet another shade of green as I hadn’t got this one.

50919621546_b9b600d5f9_b.jpg

I did notice however that the colour call outs in this build line up with the sheet for the big one so I can use that conversion 🤪🤪🥳 why did I not think of that before. The last few bits of PE went on. Some winglet stuff and some bits on the pylons.

50919621451_2af784f620_b.jpg

And talking of pylons.

They got stuck on too. 

50918926763_1fb4132d11_b.jpg

Looking mean.

50919751132_4d59b61fae_b.jpg

Ready for the booth. 

50919621571_190cd91572_b.jpg

The canopy got an inside blast of blue before primer.

50919621606_9e6129dec2_b.jpg

That went well but I swear if I bend that nose thing one more time. 🤬 

Primer is on and can you spot the difference ? 🤣

50919621476_f5eecac87f_b.jpg

I didn’t snap it off, I cut it off and popped it in the box for safe keeping. I’m going to leave her for a bit now and shift back onto the BIG one. I might do the pre-shading. 🤔

Hope you’re enjoying our builds.

All the best.

Johnny

• Like 12

Yay paint. Looks good so far.

I actually broke out my own spray booth and used it in anger today after SWNBO started complaining of solvent odours from yesterday’s spray session, took quite a bit of rearranging to get it positioned near enough to a socket and the window for extraction, but in fairness it did work really well, ho hum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 23:07, The Spadgent said:

I ordered yet another shade of green as I hadn’t got this one.

I’ve done the same thing a few days ago! 👍 Looks very promising. I planned to apply thin layers of XF-76 on more darker green. We’ll see.

On 07/02/2021 at 23:07, The Spadgent said:

Looking mean.

Looking good! 👏

I closed the fuselage halves on mine, so the small progress occurred. Now I need a little break and I’ll show you the pictures in the near future.

Excellent work, Companion! 🤝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/02/2021 at 10:16, CedB said:

Looking good Johnny :) 

Good idea cutting off the 'nose thing' - better control!

Indeed!

On 08/02/2021 at 11:24, Vultures1 said:

Looking really great Johnny!  That last front-quarter view gives the Hind a real 'angry wasp' look.

🐝🐝🐝 closest I have. 🤣

On 08/02/2021 at 13:07, Brandy said:

You could have just given the nose piece a tweak, like Macbeth would have done!

Ian

Oi! 🙀😛

On 08/02/2021 at 17:41, woody37 said:

Another great Mi-24, I didn't realise how big it is unless you have small hands? 😂

Tiny tiny hands! 🤣

On 08/02/2021 at 19:22, Marklo said:

Yay paint. Looks good so far.

I actually broke out my own spray booth and used it in anger today after SWNBO started complaining of solvent odours from yesterday’s spray session, took quite a bit of rearranging to get it positioned near enough to a socket and the window for extraction, but in fairness it did work really well, ho hum

I have found that the filter catches all the gunk and acrylics have no ‘Orrible niffs. 😇

On 11/02/2021 at 04:23, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’ve done the same thing a few days ago! 👍 Looks very promising. I planned to apply thin layers of XF-76 on more darker green. We’ll see.

Looking good! 👏

I closed the fuselage halves on mine, so the small progress occurred. Now I need a little break and I’ll show you the pictures in the near future.

Excellent work, Companion! 🤝

I’ll get to this progressively. How’s yours coming dear boy?

On 12/02/2021 at 17:28, opus999 said:

Just caught up after a few days away.  Its so... gray. :)   But that means its that much closer to camo!   Looking good.

Ha! Yup getting there. Quicker now the big uns done.

On 23/02/2021 at 12:49, corsaircorp said:

Waow !! nice hind Spad !!

I catch up today on both of your big fans...

CC

Proper fan dance going on. 
💃💃

• Like 3

It’s been a while but the big beast has taken my time. I had some black in the brush so set about pre shading after a final smooth off.

The underside.

51090019428_6caf03390e_b.jpg

So much easier closed up and smaller. 💆‍♂️ The nose.

51089476246_11252d91d8_b.jpg

This has had a black and white pre shade.

And the tail. 

51090019423_129ab9f8fb_b.jpg

obviously there are no rivets as with her big sister so I added extra with the pre shade to give an illusion. 👨‍🎨

She sits here for now. 

51090285780_43fae9a629_b.jpg

Reading through the parts there isn’t that much left to do so she might get done sooner than expected. 😍

Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

Johnny.

• Like 12

This looks lovely.  I can see you've used your stencils to good effect here.  How do you hold the stencil and paint at the same time?  Do you set the model on something?  That's what I do, but sometimes it is a real struggle to get the stencil where I want it before I apply paint.  Just curious to see if there's a neat trick I can steal borrow from you. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

This looks lovely.  I can see you've used your stencils to good effect here.  How do you hold the stencil and paint at the same time?  Do you set the model on something?  That's what I do, but sometimes it is a real struggle to get the stencil where I want it before I apply paint.  Just curious to see if there's a neat trick I can steal borrow from you. :D 

Nothing special. Just pop the little blighter on the floor of the booth or on a stand if you wish. Stencil in one hand, brush in tother and bosh. 🤩

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Nothing special. Just pop the little blighter on the floor of the booth or on a stand if you wish. Stencil in one hand, brush in tother and bosh. 🤩

Maybe it's a stand I need.  I put it on the floor of the booth right now.  Hmm... more model supplies in the future...?  🤔  Yes please! :D 

• Like 3

Well !! 

You will now be entitled as a Soviet flying piano expert !!

Very good job on your couple of angry wasps...

I always stay in awe with your paint job, Excellent !!

Have a great easter Week end !!

Egg search already done ??

Sincerely 

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/04/2021 at 14:56, The Spadgent said:

How’s yours coming dear boy?

The main rotor was assembled few days ago and now it’s waiting for wiring. 😉 No other progress occurred, because I haven’t modelling mojo these days.

On 02/04/2021 at 15:01, The Spadgent said:

It’s been a while but the big beast has taken my time. I had some black in the brush so set about pre shading after a final smooth off.

It’s very inspiring, my friend! 👏

obviously there are no rivets as with her big sister so I added extra with the pre shade to give an illusion. 👨‍🎨

I’m having some:

50953796907_92b102956f_k.jpg

These rivets are so small and I’m not sure about the final results:

50953691196_de35402a6a_k.jpg

Reading through the parts there isn’t that much left to do so she might get done sooner than expected. 😍

Can’t wait to see her painted, excellent progress so far! 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2021 at 11:26, IPMS19 said:

- Having used these rivets for the "Big" Hind with mixed results I fear these ones won't stand the standard paint process unless installing them over the paint

I performed some quick tests and find that these rivets can be barely visible after a good treatment. So I’ll think twice before its application...

• Like 2

- I fear that appliyng rivets over the paint may render the suppression of the film very dangerous for the background paint unless avoiding this step by cutting the film the closest of the rivets as possible and letting them in their original color, which owing to their tiny size at this scale could  be a good alternative of the weathering.

• Like 2