From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

Your attention to detail is second to none as proved by the cockpit pics: above.

Nice work so far, looking forward to the next update now!

Stay safe            Roger 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Seems like any colours go if they’re kinda right if you know what I mean.

It’s reasonable, anyway we’re using some techniques to make out paint work pop! 😺

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What do you think?

Looks like a good combination. Also I discovered the Tamiya XF-76 as a good candidate for the main fuselage colour. Do you have it?

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

When dry I gave the lot a base coat of the internal blue color. I could have done grey but I like this blue. 😍

On some pictures of the real weathered Mi-24s you can notice that the cockpit colour looks the same as underside colour... 🤔 In short - I like it! 👍

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

And that my friends is where I left it. 🤩

What a progress, Johnster! 👏 Mine is just painted inside and waiting for the masking and some additional painting. Excellent! 👍

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for looking in and for all the help with this build. Hope you’re all having a fun snowy weekend. ❄️❄️❄️

That’s for sure! ☃️ Winter at its best.

Oops... It’s a civil crocodile with the bench on top:

50871381637_a82f3c51ec_4k.jpg

Nice kit! 😹 He’s looks serious...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/01/2021 at 03:13, opus999 said:

That cockpit looks fantastic!  Hard to believe its 1/72.  The paint dilemma is a puzzler.  I don't think I can help on that one. 

Thanks. I think I like it more now it’s got a bit dirty. 😀

On 25/01/2021 at 08:07, CedB said:

Seconded! Lovely work Johnny :) 

Thanks Mr B

On 25/01/2021 at 09:19, Hamden said:

Your attention to detail is second to none as proved by the cockpit pics: above.

Nice work so far, looking forward to the next update now!

Stay safe            Roger 

Thank you. Far too kind. 🙃

On 25/01/2021 at 10:29, Pete in Lincs said:

Splendid stuff, Johnny. That is a lovely cockpit, and yes, hard to believe it's 1/72nd.

Thanks. It’s certainly weird building them at two different scales. 

On 25/01/2021 at 18:53, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks like a good combination. Also I discovered the Tamiya XF-76 as a good candidate for the main fuselage colour. Do you have it?

What a progress, Johnster! 👏 Mine is just painted inside and waiting for the masking and some additional painting. Excellent! 👍

Oops... It’s a civil crocodile with the bench on top:

50871381637_a82f3c51ec_4k.jpg

Nice kit! 😹 He’s looks serious...

I do have that paint. Thanks I’ll give it a go.

Ooh looking forward to seeing yours painted too. 🙌

It never occurred to me that I’m using a crocodile on a crocodile. 🤪 🤣

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh looking forward to seeing yours painted too. 🙌

My progress slowed down on painting - the masking takes a lot of time. 😉

It never occurred to me that I’m using a crocodile on a crocodile. 🤪 🤣

Our hobby isn’t a boring thing! 😹

• Like 1

Good morning you lot. I did this work a few days ago but held off posting as I thought I might get a bit more done. Alas it was not to be so I figured I’d post up before the weekend flurry. 🤩

This is one of my favorite parts. A lot of the ref I have seen has had this lovely helicopter in a, shall we say well used state. I’m going to reflect this in the paint work so my weathering will be a little heavy. Here is the front seat after a Flory wash. Came out well I think. 😃

50885946301_88a1068b20_b.jpg

I did take a shot of the rear one which is a more detailed affair but the shot I just noticed was blurred so I’ll omit it.

The rear cabin wall.

50886049432_2728c83e4c_b.jpg

The rest of the cabin and bench.

50886049417_485d9f213e_b.jpg

I did think that I wasn’t going to add any scratch details but I had some wire left from the big one so I added a little in the main office before the seats went in.

50885946311_9c01d25aa3_b.jpg

I think the wash has really settled the look I’m going for. Works well with the blue. 🙃

The gear head and engine assembly got added to the roof section.

50886132491_cde02f70f9_b.jpg

A lot of the engine internals will never be seen, which is a shame but as my larger one is open I’m ok with closing up. It does look nice and shiny though.

50885224883_e54c8b13a5_b.jpg

I m not going to add any more.

the cabin walls look nice too.

50885946321_ddfe014d6b_b.jpg

I forgot to do the rear wheel well so I need to add that before closing up. It’s been good leaving it for a few days so I can let the look settle in. 😃

The seats and control sticks got added. Well all but one. ( The main stalk )

50885946286_0f11c9ec91_b.jpg

I’m really happy with the look.

50885946306_5c53f8e543_b.jpg

There are a bunch of other bits that got finished but I didn’t take pics. I’ll fill in the gaps over the weekend.

Thanks for dropping by and checking it my build. 

Hope you all having a great week and...... Happy Friday! 

Johnny. 🐊

• Like 17

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Here is the front seat after a Flory wash. Came out well I think. 😃

Oh yes! 👏

The rear cabin wall.

It’s a gem, Johnny! 😋 I need to spray all the interior parts with the gloss coat and apply the Flory Wash. I’m amazed how your work turned out under the wash! 👍

A lot of the engine internals will never be seen, which is a shame but as my larger one is open I’m ok with closing up. It does look nice and shiny though.

I will be happy to do it as well as you!

the cabin walls look nice too.

Jaws dropped... 😛

I’m really happy with the look.

You’re an artist, Johnster... Bravo! 🙂

The seats and the rest of the cockpit looks crazy cool...

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2021 at 20:09, Nikolay Polyakov said:
On 29/01/2021 at 07:17, The Spadgent said:

You’re an artist, Johnster... Bravo! 🙂

The seats and the rest of the cockpit looks crazy cool...

Thanks Nikolay. I’m glad you like it. Hope the Flory works well for you. 👌

On 29/01/2021 at 08:42, CedB said:

So you should be - great work Johnny :) 

Thanks Mr B.😀

On 29/01/2021 at 09:50, Hamden said:

Seconded

Stay safe       Roger

Thank you sir.

On 29/01/2021 at 13:28, AliGauld said:

Thirded - would say more but I'm too busy lifting my jaw off the floor.

Cheers,

Alistair

Far too kind but thankyou. 🤩

10 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Great work Johnny. 

For future reference, download an app called Hobby Color Converter. I've got mine setup to only reference the ranges I use and it's a fantastic tool. 

Thanks for the tip on the app. Unfortunately it looks like it’s not for iPhone. 😩

9 hours ago, Brandy said:

Fabulous interior you have there Johnny. Shame the engines will be hidden but if the big brother is even close it will be spectacular!

Ian

Thanks Ian. Here are the other engines.

The thread link is on my sig if you’re interested. 🙌

50745430367_b2f4a79422_b.jpg
6 hours ago, opus999 said:

That interior looks amazing!  What Flory colors did you use?  I've decided I need to get some of that stuff as soon as I figure out where to get it in the US....

Thanks. I used “dark dirt” it’s great stuff. Pretty much a clay wash so if you can find those you’ll be on the right track. 😃

• Like 3

Good evening you lot. For some bonkers reason I feel like I need to get this build in line with my other one. Grrrr I hate me. 😩 soooo today’s bench time was spent fixing some stuff and glueing some other stuff. A lot of faffing was had. 😑
Here are some bits and bobs that are ready for glue. 
The roof of the cargo hold.

50892366036_8836e94ee0_b.jpg

The roof of the cockpit.

tiny levers and all. 😬

50892409566_09295fe88f_b.jpg

The wheel well got painted (at last)

50891698523_69a2c06ed6_b.jpg

Things were going swimmingly I added the windows cleaned them up and checked the clarity. 🧖

50891698683_b1b970f2b4_b.jpg

now I know you can actually see through them but as these are the only portals into the cargo hold the warping seen here on the numbers of my ruler are actually a lot better than looking through with your eyes. It’s tough to see anything really other than a wobbly shape of what’s inside.😒😞

I talked myself into just living with it right up until the point where I poked them all out with a cocktail stick. 💪 get me. 😆

So about fourty minutes later and a lot of badly cut Plasticard I’d got some new windows. Strangely These actually look better in real life which is a bit of a pain as I’m trying to convince you that I’ve done a good thing here. 🤣

50891655253_dd82c50f26_b.jpg

Any way they’re in and you can see in and see some cargo gubbins. 😇🙂

I also masked them and fitted the PE windows. Well two of them. 🤨

50892481612_aae00e58e2_b.jpg

The PE trigger thing got glued in the control stick too.

50892409226_804ee64ebe_b.jpg

So after all that I can get on with the glueing bit. 🥳 A right royal pain I’d broken the connecting pin on the rear of the cargo hold so holding all this stuff together was a struggle to say the least. One bit got pushed down and another popped up! 🤪but we got there eventually.

50892525117_5bb7f51222_b.jpg

While that dried I glued in the control stick. 

50892409561_9f8b5e3042_b.jpg

Fuselage time!! 😀 I thought the rear would be a good starting point this time.

50891655288_c8a5b8188d_b.jpg

After glueing this in place I had a bit of a second thought and test fitted the front part. Wellll that didn’t fit, everything was too far forward. Why me? 😩😩 so I swiftly pinged off the rear part. Big breaths and let’s stick on the front parts.

50891698553_08d4578ea8_b.jpg

They fitted better so on they went with pegs and everything. 🤗

After this dried, (a little) I jimmied and wiggled the rear part into place.

After the trouble with the other build I was ready for this so bending and taping and holding aaaand not a bad fit.

🥳🤩

50892525037_70c2f19e3f_b.jpg

Now the other side.

But wait what’s this? Oooh look something that looks like a spanner in some workings. 😣 Hells bells what going on with today. 🥸

50891698228_ae3a5b4bc5_b.jpg

what do you mean you can’t see what I’m talking about. Look closer. Those two door runners. Yup I had to cut them off to fit the final fuselage half.

50892481617_d638300db5_b.jpg

so after what should have been a twenty minute job but ended up more like three or four hours we’re here.

50891698278_3a54f0ce22_b.jpg

If you zoom in you can see the gap just above the engines. 😬 never fear crocodile clips and sprue goo are here. 😀.

50899022148_374c5d586c_b.jpg

That really needs to dry over night but I think 🤞🤞🤞🤞 the tough bit is over. The front clear parts are a load better tan the side windows and yes I did a dry fit. 

More tomorrow.

Thank you for dropping by and indulging  my shenanigans.

Take care and as always.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🤫

• Like 13

Well. Problem number 1 is I found out your an "iPhone man". I really had you down as Nokia or Android.....

Anyhoot! The hind looks like she's coming along well! I almost Flory washed my TSR cockpit tonight but think I missed a trick by assembling the whole bloody thing first. 

Might have to start stealing your habit of preshading everything though. I imagine it looks darn sweet to the Mk 1 Eyeball!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Well. Problem number 1 is I found out your an "iPhone man". I really had you down as Nokia or Android.....

Anyhoot! The hind looks like she's coming along well! I almost Flory washed my TSR cockpit tonight but think I missed a trick by assembling the whole bloody thing first. 

Might have to start stealing your habit of preshading everything though. I imagine it looks darn sweet to the Mk 1 Eyeball!

Yup Apple all the way I’m afraid. 
you can do a wash fully assembled but you can’t get to some nooks and crannies to wipe away and tone down which is why I do it the way I do.  
I do love a pre shade. A lot of set up but the final result makes all I’m the effort worth it in my opinion. Thanks for the compliments by the way. 🙌

• Like 2

Well done, Johnny! 👏 

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

So about fourty minutes later and a lot of badly cut Plasticard I’d got some new windows. Strangely These actually look better in real life which is a bit of a pain as I’m trying to convince you that I’ve done a good thing here. 🤣

Nice idea to swap the stock windows with the scratch-builded ones - the kit parts are too thick. I’ll skip it! 😹

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That really needs to dry over night but I think 🤞🤞🤞🤞 the tough bit is over. The front clear parts are a load better tan the side windows and yes I did a dry fit.

You’re having an interesting assembly order, nice to see how different we work on the same kit. 👍 I think it’s time to show my (small) progress on it, so you and others are welcome to my thread!

Great progress so far, Johnny!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Johnny and kudos for overcoming the dubious fit.

Shame we won't be able to see all your great work on the internals, but at least we have the photos :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great progress.  Looks fantastic.  The clear plastic cargo windows look the part and although you won't be able to see much inside, it won't be blurry. 🙂

Have fun in the snow.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/01/2021 at 11:42, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Well done, Johnny! 👏 

Nice idea to swap the stock windows with the scratch-builded ones - the kit parts are too thick. I’ll skip it! 😹

You’re having an interesting assembly order, nice to see how different we work on the same kit. 👍 I think it’s time to show my (small) progress on it, so you and others are welcome to my thread!

Great progress so far, Johnny!

Thanks Nikolay. Great to see your progress too. I’m feeling a switch to the bigger one coming soon. 🙌

On 31/01/2021 at 12:11, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny and kudos for overcoming the dubious fit.

Shame we won't be able to see all your great work on the internals, but at least we have the photos :) 

Thanks Mr B . I’ll peep through the little windows now and again. 😇

On 31/01/2021 at 17:01, Dadeo911 said:

Great progress.  Looks fantastic.  The clear plastic cargo windows look the part and although you won't be able to see much inside, it won't be blurry. 🙂

Have fun in the snow.

Cheers,

Chris

You can surprisingly but you have to be up close. 

• Like 2

Evening all.

I can feel a shift to the other hind coming so I’m going to get this one to a point where I can leave her and move over. Maybe after a prime.

More progress has been had. 
Late to the party but I think sprue goo is my new best friend.  No more gap. Magic I tells ya.🧙‍♂️

50899022148_374c5d586c_b.jpg

Then sanded back. 

50899736796_eb45a9a278_b.jpg

The top fan got added but there was a step. I’ll sort that with my new best friend.

50899852882_488fbcf3ec_b.jpg

Engine covers glued in place with the help of blu tac.

50899736021_0dc82f356c_b.jpg

Hmmmm now I’m sure I’m not the only one and watch out @Nikolay Polyakov

The engines when glued in must have gone a bit wobbly, the covers fitted well. They are all straight and set in the right holes but adding the front cowl you get a miss match that I couldn’t line up. It was worse but I didn’t take a pic. 😮 You can just see them out of alignment here.

50899035003_275ff0c689_b.jpg

I had to make the decision to scalpel inside and pare back the engines so the inner circumferences matched. It’s not perfect but it’s better than it was and once painted it’ll be unnoticeable. 🤞

50899022733_c6a5828e78_b.jpg

The tail parts got added.

50899021898_6e6830e5c2_b.jpg

The winglets glued.

50899748426_5a646f7a70_b.jpg

Popped in place and hung out to dry.

50899022203_6828b7ec70_b.jpg

Next up was the canopy masking. Not bad really. I used the thin strip technique on the bubble door.

50899736011_753ab23238_b.jpg

This got glued in place and taped. The fit here is stunning.

50902470648_debef82d04_b.jpg

There are quite a few little gaps here and there over the whole fuselage. It was here the PPP came out and sorted them out.

50903177551_050efed77d_b.jpg

The other canopy section got added and other bits masked ready for inner canopy frame and primer.

50903177526_755dc8c527_b.jpg

There are quite a few little PE bits that fit on the out side so I added them.

50903296007_db0571d371_b.jpg

I’m only adding the more robust parts. Judging by the amount of times I’ve bent that nose spike it’s for the best. 😬🤪🤨🤫

50902470633_02ba0e19dd_b.jpg

I just know those window frames will give me trouble.

50903177511_659e135c0e_b.jpg

Close to paint now. I was going to use the well covers as masks but they don’t quite fit so I’m not going to bother making them fit as they’ll be open.

sponge it is. ❤️
That as they say is your lot.

I’ll get the base paint on, maybe a pre shade then I think I’ll move over to the big un for a while. Just waiting for a pit of paint to arrive that I thought I had but didn’t. 😬

Thanks for taking time to look in on this rainy evening in lockdown. Hope you’re all having a great week.

All the best and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🐊

• Like 11

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Late to the party but I think sprue goo is my new best friend.  No more gap. Magic I tells ya.🧙‍♂️

Yes, it’s a friendly stuff! 😉

Hmmmm now I’m sure I’m not the only one and watch out @Nikolay Polyakov

I just finished some wiring (piping) inside an engine bay, so I’m not at this stage yet. The covers’ fit was tested and it’s OK, I must admit.

They are all straight and set in the right holes but adding the front cowl you get a miss match that I couldn’t line up. It was worse but I didn’t take a pic. 😮 You can just see them out of alignment here.

The front cover is on the runner at the moment, I’ll check the fit later.

It was here the PPP came out and sorted them out.

Looks great, Johnster! 👍

I’m only adding the more robust parts. Judging by the amount of times I’ve bent that nose spike it’s for the best. 😬🤪🤨🤫

I’m already bent the gun a few times - it’s on its place for today, hopefully! 😹

Close to paint now. I was going to use the well covers as masks but they don’t quite fit so I’m not going to bother making them fit as they’ll be open.

Excellent progress so far. I also have noticed that these covers won’t fit properly. It’s strange, because other (and more complicated) parts fits great. 😼 Good luck with the painting, companion! 🤝

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Pleased the sprue goo is working for you too - great stuff eh? :) 

No more putty! 😬 It’s not my favourite thing... 

• Thanks 1

Great progress, Johnny  @The Spadgent, I'm loving this build and I learn summat new every time you post.

I like your tip about pre-shading and weathering prior to assembly, the effect is so much better than doing it post assembly imho, and I'm gonna nick it for future builds.

Great stuff, Mr Spadge !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1