From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

From Russia With Love.

MI-24A  HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda.

Hello and welcome to a nice relaxing companion build in more ways than one. 😇

It will run alongside two other builds. one mine and the other belonging to @Nikolay Polyakov .

If you are following my other Hind build "HERE" you will know that Nikolay very kindly offered to send me some decal rivets for the 1/48 version that were only available in Russia for my build. In exchange I sent him some Flory washes that are tough to get over there. After a few weeks of postal travel we both pretty much received our packages at the same time. Mine however was a LOT bigger than I expected. 😍 Inside were not only the rivets for my 1/48 Hind build but a whole new kit with AM parts to boot!! I was agog!!  😃

Upon receiving my special Christmas gift I contacted Nikolay and he mentioned a back to back or Companion build as he had another MI-24A kit in the wings.

I agreed and the cogs started rolling. We waited until now as I was doing some fiddly bits on my other Hind and he was busy at work.

I got a Message this morning asking if I would like to start the builds?   I looked out of the window I was in for a shock. 

50769886878_08f9f30021_b.jpg

If there was ever a sign that now was the time to start this was it. 🌨️

So here we go. Nikolay's build can be found "HERE" not sure how we will run it but it'll be fun to watch both come together. I'm not planing on having mine open as I'm doing that with the 1/48 kit. so I will be having a closed up variant and my third Russian beauty.

So without further ado here's where it all started a week or so before Christmas.

Here is the lovely post card @Nikolay Polyakov sent with the box of snow  Goodies. it was titles "from Russia with love" so I though I'd name my thread as this. ♥️

50769887088_f612e57d03_b.jpg

Lets start with the Box.

50770634776_cd6bcf55bf_b.jpg

and sprews.

50770634536_2e19f2af84_b.jpg 50770635401_1a5c59a5d8_b.jpg

50769887728_52c918e2e9_b.jpg 50769886838_952bf56b9d_b.jpg

clear parts and decals.

50769886883_092a5a6a47_b.jpg

As mentioned I'll be building the first decal option set up as version 2  ( closed doors and panels ) as a nice juxtapose to my other HIND. I think Nikolay is making his as Version 1 (open)

50770751587_89a58dceb0_b.jpg

Here are the other bits and bobs that were kindly gifted.

50770750737_18c64f32a5_b.jpg

This is going to be fun on a @corsaircorp scale. 🙃 

Talking about scale, Look at the size difference!!!! 😲

50769887618_afd34cf973_b.jpg

I'll finish this opening post here just in case it goes CraZy on me.  I'll fix the links as Nikolay starts his build and make an update to mine too.

I do hope you will enjoy these builds if you choose to tag along with us on a most excellent adventure that will lead us into a new and better year.

All the best and as always dear Friends.

happy Modelling. 

Johnny. 🤗

• Like 15

• The Spadgent changed the title to From Russia With Love. MI-24A HIND. 1/72 by Zvezda WIP

well that worked. :D ok here's where I'm at before I venture out into the snow.

She starts with a very different office.

The scale is such a difference but the detail is just as refined.

50769886583_8b82a1cd86_b.jpg

If you have this kit beware that the instructions are slightly wrong. they ask for parts from a "C" sprew but there is no such sprew. There are two "A" sprews but the instructions ans for items from both.

some of the PE has already been added.

50770633821_f0ce205a09_b.jpg

I think this means "remove" but as @Nikolay Polyakov's English is better than my Russian. ( I can't speak Russian) I'll let him clear that up for me.

50770751597_5a8f4b83aa_b.jpg

The struts got added on the rear seat.

50770750922_cea105ecf5_b.jpg

The main office assembly got a nice flurry of activity. ( the rear fire wall is dry fitted for now ).

50770751077_4e3a944965_b.jpg

That is about where we are. I'm headed out into the snow (while it lasts) for a dog walk . 

50770751642_c0600d9d65_b.jpg

"I might be some time"

Take care Y'all.

Johnny.🥶

• Like 17

Oooh!  Count me in!  I've always loved the look of the Hind-A and you don't see many of them out there.  Given what you've done with the "D", I'm excited to see this one come together. Plus the differences in scale will be interesting...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I looked out of the window I was in for a shock.

Finally! ☃️

I think Nikolay is making his as Version 1 (open)

Exactly. Actually, I planned to build her in-flight and on the stand, but changed my mind... 😬 So many things can be found inside the fuselage, and I want to practice with the detailing.

This is going to be fun on a @corsaircorp scale. 🙃 

This used to be the Gentleman Scale, isn’t it?! 😹

I think this means "remove" but as @Nikolay Polyakov's English is better than my Russian. ( I can't speak Russian) I'll let him clear that up for me.

Absolutely right, Johnny! It’s a «remove the plastic» warning. I think it’s sometimes funny to read my posts with all these excessive articles... 😛

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Following this one too Johnny - looks interesting a kudos to Nikolay for encouraging the build! :) 

We’re becoming the serial starters here! 😬

Excellent and very productive start, Johnny! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/12/2020 at 13:54, CedB said:

Following this one too Johnny - looks interesting a kudos to Nikolay for encouraging the build! :) 

Snow? Brrrr. Clear here, so far.

Yay! Glad to have you along. It’s going to be fun for sure. 😇

On 28/12/2020 at 13:58, exdraken said:

Nice start!

Thank you. 🤩

On 28/12/2020 at 15:17, IPMS19 said:

-  OH SNOW.....!!!!!! I'm dreaming of  white winter instead I have pails of rain.....I wonder what to do with my reindeer drive licence...This building looks promising

Just need to get a little colder then ❄️❄️❄️❄️. I’ll keep em crossed. Nice to have you along. 

On 28/12/2020 at 18:14, opus999 said:

Oooh!  Count me in!  I've always loved the look of the Hind-A and you don't see many of them out there.  Given what you've done with the "D", I'm excited to see this one come together. Plus the differences in scale will be interesting...

Thanks. Not many now there’s two. Like busses. 🚌🚌

On 28/12/2020 at 18:23, Hamden said:

I'll take a seat if I may, always learn lots from your builds

Stay safe         Roger

Thank you sir. Glad to have you aboard. 🤩

On 28/12/2020 at 18:49, Massimo said:

I thought I was wrong, but I wasn't!!!

Good to see two builds of the same aitrcraft in different scales!!!

I'm on board!!!

Not quite the same. Two different variants  “V” and “A” different scales though. But please take a seat. 👏🙌😀

by the way I set the link in my first post live to Nikolay’s build but I’ll pop it here too. 

On 28/12/2020 at 20:00, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Exactly. Actually, I planned to build her in-flight and on the stand, but changed my mind... 😬 So many things can be found inside the fuselage, and I want to practice with the detailing.

In flight would be good but as you pointed out in your thread the weighted wings would make that tough. I never thought of that. 🤔

This used to be the Gentleman Scale, isn’t it?! 😹

Yes 1/72 I believe was called that. It I was drawing attention to @corsaircorp always egging me along the multi build route.  🤣

Absolutely right, Johnny! It’s a «remove the plastic» warning. I think it’s sometimes funny to read my posts with all these excessive articles... 😛

Thanks. Every day is a school day. 👨‍🎓

We’re becoming the serial starters here! 😬

Excellent and very productive start, Johnny! 👍

Thanks. Yes serial starter and finishers.  This will be ace!!!!  More tomorrow due to snow and Christmas. Not sure which one though. 🤔 maybe a bit of both. 👌

Johnny.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

- The a version is today somewhat of a mystery  as its design date back to the last monthes of the cold war and so, very few documented, so it is very interesting to see one of these built even if  the kit had been released some years ago, in the nineties If my memory don't fail, very few are seen on exhibit tables. Now, I wait with the hope of a 4 inches kit........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dear Spad !!

:evil_laugh: Obviously, Vincent Fournier is speaking about the Multi build poison....:evil_laugh:

Well of course I'm in !! And I'll get to have a look at Nikolay's build too !!

Now the Sharkmouth poison...

very good start up Spad !!

No snow for me but Pierre @BS103 has a lot of it...

Stay safe and happy modelling !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Johnny,

Following this if I may, it's an interesting comparison with the 1/48 one

Much praise to Nikolay for his generous gifts, I'll be following his build too

All the best

Geoff

• Like 2

On 29/12/2020 at 08:47, IPMS19 said:

- The a version is today somewhat of a mystery  as its design date back to the last monthes of the cold war and so, very few documented, so it is very interesting to see one of these built even if  the kit had been released some years ago, in the nineties If my memory don't fail, very few are seen on exhibit tables. Now, I wait with the hope of a 4 inches kit........

Glad you will enjoy our builds. Hopefully e won’t disappoint. She is an unusual beast. 😃

On 29/12/2020 at 09:44, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Spad !!

:evil_laugh: Obviously, Vincent Fournier is speaking about the Multi build poison....:evil_laugh:

Well of course I'm in !! And I'll get to have a look at Nikolay's build too !!

Now the Sharkmouth poison...

very good start up Spad !!

No snow for me but Pierre @BS103 has a lot of it...

Stay safe and happy modelling !!

CC

Thanks CC and Alice. 🤟 even when I don’t multi build I multi build. 😹

23 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Johnny,

Following this if I may, it's an interesting comparison with the 1/48 one

Much praise to Nikolay for his generous gifts, I'll be following his build too

All the best

Geoff

Great to have you on board. Such kindness on BM it’s a real treat to simply be part of it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey. Glad to see such a lovely crowd for our special double build.

More has been completed.

The PE for the rear fire wall has been bent into shape.

50779132777_48d46aeace_b.jpg

And since I now what the instructions mean I chiselled off the offending parts and glued it in place.

50779132772_3fd3991914_b.jpg

Nice! 😃

I’ll not be adding all the extra pipe work as the rear part will be closed up. The cockpit however is on full view so let’s see what is store PE wise.

looks like the instruments are all accounted for as are new pedals. So these have to go.

50779021531_5253ff8287_b.jpg

And these built.

50778258368_0eccd5ae0d_b.jpg

Sooooo small. 😯

I added a slight bend to the Seat PE. A lot easier than their 1/48 brothers. 😁

50779021491_22351e932b_b.jpg

The pedals were removed and a few more parts were glued in place. This is about as far as I can go before painting.

😇😇😇

This kit is building itself. 😀

Take care and as always dear friends.

Happy modelling. 

Johnny

• Like 9

Very nice Johnny, I'm in too!

I don't understand Russian, but I believe what it says is "idalit plastic" if my self taught reading ability is up to par. 

I'm sure Nikolay will correct me if not!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 18:03, The Spadgent said:

The PE for the rear fire wall has been bent into shape.

Excellent! 👏

And these built.

I skipped the pedals construction stage... 😬 I’m not ready yet.

This kit is building itself. 😀

I told you so, Johnny!

Great progress so far, I’m already updated my thread, too.

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 15:19, Brandy said:

Very nice Johnny, I'm in too!

I don't understand Russian, but I believe what it says is "idalit plastic" if my self taught reading ability is up to par. 

I'm sure Nikolay will correct me if not!

Ian

Welcome. Your Russian is obviously better than mine.  I think you’re right. 🙌

On 02/01/2021 at 13:00, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent! 👏

I skipped the pedals construction stage... 😬 I’m not ready yet.

I told you so, Johnny!

Great progress so far, I’m already updated my thread, too.

Thanks. I think we’re doing well. 🙌

On 02/01/2021 at 13:03, Nikolay Polyakov said:

This is correct, but it’s sounds like: «udalit’ plastik». You’re very good at reading the Russian, Ian! Hats off! 👍

👏👏🙌👏

• Like 1

Good evening. More has been done today as I’m waiting for IPA to arrive for the other hinds rivets.

First up I checked the front well that @Nikolay Polyakov mentioned didn’t fit. Either I have this wrong or my one kinda just popped in? 

50795547103_8639d425a8_b.jpg

those pin marks are a nasty addition. I didn’t have spare PE so I used plasticard to blank off the marks.

50795547543_e3d4f120ac_b.jpg

The engine bay parts got assembled.

50796295441_e9477747a7_b.jpg 50796295956_2cbf2b333c_b.jpg

Then glued together.

50796414667_eecc0afc85_b.jpg

The construction is slightly different to the larger one as I know what I’m doing now and know what can get glued before paint.

These were all pointed separately before but I don’t thing there is a need at this scale.

50795547083_fa266bbac5_b.jpg

Word of warning. See the long thin sticky out bit on the instructions that is missing from the part?

50795547538_f070aeaacf_b.jpg

That’s because I cut it off thinking it was a sprew gate. 🤦‍♂️ Never mind I’ll replace it with rod. Here it is replaced and the struts on and dry fitted to aid positioning while it cured.

50795547033_c1e20afa0d_b.jpg

I have completed a lot of the smaller sub assemblies before painting this time.

50796295386_b16b75afb2_b.jpg

And from the other side.

50796295781_2814bd28c6_b.jpg

The detail even at this scale is great! 😍

While moving trees around looking for parts I noticed these as I had seen Nikolay build them over on his thread.

50796415212_d80375c731_b.jpg

Wait a minute. 1,2,3...... oh gawd!!! I was only talking to @tonyot today about losing parts to the wooly monster. 😩 nothing in the box, nothing in my parts tub, nothing on the bench. 🙁

I thought I could check the plastic bag ?? Luckily I didn’t empty bin this week.

nothing in the bag either. 😩🥺

Then!!!! Follow the top right cotton bud up. 😍😍😍😍

50796414767_8f0ccf3030_b.jpg

What are the odds? Well it does seem like I’m on a lucky run. 🥳

Just before the IPA Turned up I finished the engine assembly. I’ll not need to paint the internals separately either. This kit literally flies together. 😍😍😍

Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend. I guess those of us that do are back at Work tomorrow, still from home but at least there’s work to do.

Take care chums.

Johnny.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

First up I checked the front well that @Nikolay Polyakov mentioned didn’t fit. Either I have this wrong or my one kinda just popped in?

I recommend you to place it a bit forward (to hide its front wall):

50798402443_736b83580f_k.jpg

Word of warning. See the long thin sticky out bit on the instructions that is missing from the part?

It was a shaft and it has a bad moulding offset...

That’s because I cut it off thinking it was a sprew gate. 🤦‍♂️

...and it needed to be replaced, anyway.

Never mind I’ll replace it with rod.

Mine will be replaced with a stainless steel needle. 😉

The detail even at this scale is great! 😍

I told you so! 😺

Luckily I didn’t empty bin this week.

«Never empty the bin before the work is over»: I find this rule is very useful for both job and home.

Well it does seem like I’m on a lucky run. 🥳

I’m glad that you not lost the parts, Johnny! 👍 The progress looks great. I’ll update my thread soon, stay tuned!

• Thanks 1

I'm here, late to the party as usual........and a good start has been made to this excellent kit. Now I've got 3 Hind builds to enjoy.

Might just have to get one myself, you two guys are having too much fun, I wanna see what it's all about.

My Mi-26 is positively yelling from the stash, it will have to wait.

I'll take a seat in the front stalls and enjoy the progress, snow matter how long it takes.........

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1