Sentinel finally headed for the scrapheap

Slater

It's a bit a shame that NATO can't pool those assets which are neccesssary, but only few are needed, therefore no single air force can operate them on a reasonnable scale. They pooled the old Awacs, the tanker, transport capabilities and there is no room for a fleet of 5 biz jets? Missed opportunity, in my eyes.

Alex

Sadly typical, I feel.

Run the enablers down and then rely on someone else for the necessary support - as long as that someone remains willing and able...

I s’pose you can’t ignore timely reconnaissance if you don’t have it to begin with. Problem solved.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

They’ve had one stay of execution already. I wonder whether like the kit on the Sentry, it’s not been updated and so is ‘outdated’. Another capability gap until Wedgetail comes online or are the Poseidon’s able to do the same job?

I agree that maybe handing them over to NATO is a missed opportunity. 

Trevor

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

They’ve had one stay of execution already. I wonder whether like the kit on the Sentry, it’s not been updated and so is ‘outdated’. Another capability gap until Wedgetail comes online or are the Poseidon’s able to do the same job?

I agree that maybe handing them over to NATO is a missed opportunity. 

Trevor

I would say the Poseidon and wedgy will be busy in their own roles ....not much slack in airframe numbers...still if it needs to be cuffed the UK can it's one of the things we can do ....make do and mend 

• Like 1

According to the RAF website  "The most advanced long-range, airborne-surveillance system of its kind in the world.".................. so we bin it.

I recall it's mission (CASTOR)  (Can Anyone State The Operational Requirement?)

People have been gunning for this since before it went operational: A bit like our Colonial blue suiters trying to kill the Warthog. The best piece of kit, so lets scrap it for something semi useless in the role. Time the decision makers got put in uniform and did a spell on the front line!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

In short like in so many other areas of defence we have given up. We will soon have less than 150 tanks total and the list goes on.

A P8 Posiedon fitted with an AAS pod can do the job of the Sentinnel. We just need 4 or 5 additional P8 airframes fitted with the pod. It makes sense to retire Sentinnel and replace it with the modified P8. Cost savings through airframe commonality come to mind!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EwenS said:

That is a sign of old age!

First flew 2004. First operational sortie 2008.

Which makes the P-8 (or "P8" as it now seems to be called) younger by just four years. And based on an airframe design which is a great deal older....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

We just need 4 or 5 additional P8 airframes

Good point about the P-8/pod - one can only hope the Govt. will bite the bullet and spring for extra jets.

Otherwise, stay tuned for availability and resource stretch issues (something we seem to have gotten used to...).

Meanwhile, in Australia, the opposite seems to be unfolding, despite the presence of the P-8 (and soon, also the Reaper and Triton) - admittedly, the Peregrine is intended mostly for EW-based operations: https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/03/raaf-to-get-four-modified-gulfstream-g550s-for-electronic-warfare-support/

Edited by Blimpyboy

4 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Meanwhile, in Australia, the opposite seems to be unfolding, despite the presence of the P-8 (and soon, also the Reaper and Triton) - admittedly, the Peregrine is intended mostly for EW-based operations: https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/03/raaf-to-get-four-modified-gulfstream-g550s-for-electronic-warfare-support/

It has to be said that the Aussies are really pulling their finger out when it comes to updating and acquiring new military capabilities. The UK really needs to concentrate on doing the same at a brisk pace. We are moving in the right direction with Carriers/F35B, Type 26 , E7 and P8, but Killing off the Sentinnels without replacement will have an adverse effect.