HMS Cornwall 56

Papa4ways

A very Merry Christmas to one and all, I hope you all had a great day, and that Santa dropped off the Kits you were hoping for.

I was a very lucky chap this year, I got three kits from Santa, the 1/350 scale model HMS Cornwall 56, a 1/48 scale Buccaneer a 1/72 scale model Airfix Dam Buster Lancaster, as well as a gift voucher to purchase a kit, which I've already ordered, the 1/350 scale model HMS Montrose.

Now could I ask for some advice on the HMS Cornwall, she came with the wooden decking, and I'm a little unsure as to what colour the wooden decking should be, according to the paint chart, it should be Dark Sea Grey, but if I do paint it Dark Sea Grey, I lose the wooden decking, and so, any advice would be welcome, I was thinking of simply varnishing the wooden deck with a little stain through it, HELP!

As always, any and all advice is greatly appreciated

Fred

Hi Fred - I've just built HMS Kent and Berwick https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070426-1350-hms-kent-county-class-cruiser-1941/ and the first thing to say is that it's a super base kit.  I've not researched Cornwall's colours but I'd always be wary about the Trumpeter suggested schemes.  A super reference is WW2 Cruisers.  Your choice of scheme wil be determined by the year you want to model her in.  Personally I think it's unlikely that she'd have had painted decks pre or early war.  Original photos of her deck are had to come by.  The picture of her sinking is ambiguous and unclear but for my mind she is likely to have had unpainted wood decks, I stand to be corrected and there are many here who are true experts!  I chose to do Berwick in 1940 with bare wood deck.  It's my understanding that painted decks tended to accompany formal hull camouflage schemes.

You can buy bare wood decks that are easy to fit and IMHO look rather splendid.

If you wish to super detail Cornwall then I thoroughly recommend checking out...

White Ensign Photo-etch set

Eduard Photo etch sets 

(Very Fire have also just released a set)

And for 3D printed accessories that are now just wonderful....

Micromaster.co.nz

Black Cat models

My Berwick will be in "Ready for inspection" soon that will give you an idea as to how it builds up.

Should you choose to do a  painted deck then the likely colours would have been either 507A or RN Dark grey anti-slip, rather than "Dark Sea Grey" (which they differ from substantially)  You can't go at all wrong with checking out Sovereign Colours paints that match as closely as anyone could reasonably expect to original wartime colours.  If you purchase be sure to get their dedicated thinners.  I now much prefer them to acrylics and they dry nearly as fast.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we'd love to see it blogged here.  You can't have enough County Class Cruisers!!

Regards

Rob

I think you are correct Rob. I haven't seen anything specific to disprove it on a pre-war HMS Cornwall, but it would be the exception rather than the rule if Trumpeter got that right. Their RN schemes generally are very poor.

The first piece of writing I am aware of instructing that wooden decks be painted dark was Home Fleet Temporary Memorandum 288, dated 20th August 1940. The third paragraph instructed that decks of all ships cruiser and above were to have their decks painted dark, and it then suggested a diluted Japan Black lacquer for the purpose.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I should have told you, I did have a previous HMS Cornwall, but it never got past the Hull being painted and the deck and a couple of parts of the superstructure fitted, before it became a casualty, not of war, but of Grandchildren and Dogs, and that was as far as the build got.

But thanks for the reply, and the information you've provided, it would seem what you say is true, that although Trumpeter provide good 1/350 kits, the paint guides they give are anything but.

I've already got the wooden deck fitted, it came with the kit, boy was Santa good to me, but seriously, the wooden deck looks good, and from what you've told and shown me, and from what I've seen, I'm going to leave the decking as it is, I might add a coat of varnish, and the remaining uncovered deck will get the RN grey treatment, I think what I'm going to aim for is a mid 1930's colour scheme, and see how it turns out, but thank you for all you showed me, it was very much appreciated

Fred

• Like 1