Irish Air Corps F-18B

kmf

Kit :           F-18B

Brand :     Hasegawa

Scale :      1/72

Decals :    Home Made Decals

This is my F-18B Hasegawa 1/72. The kit was released in 1991, so I'm not sure if that is classed as old, but the decals did look old and yellow, I fixed the yellowing, but they were all cracked. So, I went with plan 'B' Irish Air Corps. I had already printed the low vis Irish roundels a couple of years ago. I just had to find some numbers and I used some of the smaller kit decals.

Ken

y4mRmXqXRcdRSjO1lXhEowee2fPjzW7gqH-tSCuh

y4m_egIIvJwI-wjkVSm4mS-oZWuy4BruiZimbPuu

y4mJMrvRqHY0dLr7m_bBvVqoPtCdju_kMPReWZDw

y4mhXsCIVXq94r07iO-bji3veqzMkB-24WBorMtS

Edited by kmf
  • Like 32

A fine tribute to the F18 in Irish service.  For once No1 Fighter Sqdn had an actual fighter. Sadly retired too soon for the usual financial reasons. 

👍

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

An Irish fast jet what's not to like, home made decals very impressive and a great looking model beautifully finished I love it.  kudos 

Of course we all know since no Minister could sit in comfort on the way to opening off licenses in one they wouldn't buy anything that could protect the population! Still we can all dream of the day they do 🤣

Thanks for sharing 

regards

Eamonn

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kmf said:

Kit :           F-18B

Brand :     Hasegawa

Scale :      1/72

Decals :    Home Made Decals

This is my F-18B Hasegawa 1/72. The kit was released in 1991, so I'm not sure if that is classed as old, but the decals did look old and yellow, I fixed the yellowing, but they were all cracked. So, I went with plan 'B' Irish Air Corps. I had already printed the low vis Irish roundels a couple of years ago. I just had to find some numbers and I used some of the smaller kit decals.

Ken

y4mRmXqXRcdRSjO1lXhEowee2fPjzW7gqH-tSCuh

y4m_egIIvJwI-wjkVSm4mS-oZWuy4BruiZimbPuu

y4mJMrvRqHY0dLr7m_bBvVqoPtCdju_kMPReWZDw

y4mhXsCIVXq94r07iO-bji3veqzMkB-24WBorMtS

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Purchasing just one of these would have blown the entire defence budget for the 1990s.

16 hours ago, noelh said:

A fine tribute to the F18 in Irish service.  For once No1 Fighter Sqdn had an actual fighter. Sadly retired too soon for the usual financial reasons. 

👍

Great little Jet!

To solve the problem, IAC should use those models: nice, clean, affordable, saves space and resources even if on every desk of IAC.

I would like to be an exchange officer and would arrive with a Revell Tiffie or possibly a Growler from Germany!

Tom

🙂

Edited by replicant
spülling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mig88 said:

Great idea and very nicely done. I suppose they only got two-seaters... 😜!!

Miguel

Absolutely, they were mostly used as a high speed VIP transport for senior politicians. The back seat had a well stocked mini bar and entertainment system. Plus a reclining ejector seat. 😉

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, noelh said:

Absolutely, they were mostly used as a high speed VIP transport for senior politicians. The back seat had a well stocked mini bar and entertainment system. Plus a reclining ejector seat. 😉

I do hope the rear ejector seat is not used very often. That would be terrible!  🪂 Wouldn't it? 😀

BM 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

When I was in school (around 1972) I had an argument with a school colleague who insisted that the Irish Air Corps had F4 Phantoms :)

We did they just had RAF roundels every time Bears were off the West Coast 😉  I remember in the late 70's at school a rumour about a Harrier being seen at the Curragh too.

Could I ask for advice on an Irish Air Corps aircraft here please?

I have a kit of a Casa CN-235 that I want to paint in IAC markings but what are the colours of the paintwork and cheatline?

ZX3oWeb.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have a kit of a Casa CN-235 that I want to paint in IAC markings but what are the colours of the paintwork and cheatline?

Mike

According to Max Decals IAC update 2004 set(MAX7216) the overall blue is FS15177(Xtracolor PRU Blue being reasonable match)

note that the cheatlines are included as a decal on the sheet if you can find a copy.

46 minutes ago, murfv said:

According to Max Decals IAC update 2004 set(MAX7216) the overall blue is FS15177(Xtracolor PRU Blue being reasonable match)

note that the cheatlines are included as a decal on the sheet if you can find a copy.

The cheatline is FS15450 if you need to paint it. Note the cheatline extends across the ramp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

When I was in school (around 1972) I had an argument with a school colleague who insisted that the Irish Air Corps had F4 Phantoms :)

That's nothing, while on annual camp with the reserves at Gormanston airfield in '78. A fellow recruit insisted he saw Stukas in the hangar. If only! 

Chipmunks probably, easy mistake to make. 😁

Edited by noelh

I have to say thank you for all the nice comments.  I was thinking of a store to explain how the Air Corps got the F-18s, but I just didn’t get a chance.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, replicant said:

Great little Jet!

To solve the problem, IAC should use those models: nice, clean, affordable, saves space and resources even if on every desk of IAC.

I would like to be an exchange officer and would arrive with a Revell Tiffie or possibly a Growler from Germany!

Tom

🙂

Tom what scale will will the Revell Tiffie/Growler. We have to make sure there compatible. 😀

On 12/28/2020 at 9:16 AM, Team Aer Lingus said:

An Irish fast jet what's not to like, home made decals very impressive and a great looking model beautifully finished I love it.  kudos 

Of course we all know since no Minister could sit in comfort on the way to opening off licenses in one they wouldn't buy anything that could protect the population! Still we can all dream of the day they do 🤣

Thanks for sharing 

regards

Eamonn

Just a note on the F-18HS-VIP version, the reclining ejector seats had to been removed and replaced with standard business class seats. Let’s just say one passenger pulled the wrong handle. I also heard stories they are getting a new 3 seat version of the F-18 call the F-18HS-VIPX3. I’m not sure when they are getting in them.

13 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I wish the IAC had some Phantoms. It would look cool.

11 hours ago, bootneck said:

Mike

Hi Mike. I built a Casa CN-295 in these colours for someone, I used max decals for the cheatline and I used Humbrol 48 Gloss Mediterranean Blue overall. But I would go with the colours that the other gave. 

9 hours ago, murfv said:

Very nice What-if IAC Hornet Ken 

Thanks Vincent. I'm hoping to display this on the IPMS Ireland table in Telfords 2021. 😉 

• Like 1