A Brace Of Firebirds

Des

Two colourful variations on the same theme from the past.

During its latter years as the Tornado F.3 OCU No. 56 (R) Squadron operated two different airframes in variations of a similar ‘Firebird’ colour scheme on the fin and spine.

The first was applied to ZE339/AV as the 2000 solo display aircraft while the squadron was still based at RAF Coningsby and had a band of the then standard small red/white checks across the fin and with a large sized Phoenix facing left on each side of the fin (i.e forward to port and rear to starboard) carried until the aircraft was withdrawn into storage at RAF St. Athan in October that year.

The aircraft is still carrying the original arrangement of twin UHF aerials on the mid-spine.  

Unfortunately the only images I seem to have are of the starboard side only and were taken during a visit to a CQWI Course at RAF Leuchars in early July that year.    

p?i=d553ee1dcd4c8cb0b42afeb8acd454a5

The second application was to ZE735/TG , an F.3(T) , for the squadron’s 90th. Anniversary in May 2006 by when it had relocated to RAF Leuchars and was operated there until disbandment in April 2008 and subsequent disposal to RAF Leeming for RTP in November that year.      While generally similar in many respects to the earlier scheme it incorporated the late service fin cap located larger red/white checks with ‘Firebirds’ logo and ’56 SQN’ title below and for this design had the Phoenix on each side of the fin facing forward on both sides (i.e. right to starboard and left to port).

By that point the early twin UHF aerial arrangement mid-spine had been replaced by a flat white GPS aerial disc.

Thsee images were taken during Exercise Neptune Warrior at RAF Kinloss in late September 2007 a few days before the end of the squadron ‘bolthole’ there during runway resurfacing at Leuchars.

p?i=d1ee29f3e40ad096d7c26422663739aa

p?i=0351fc825bd76e4fc957fbb2bda127d3

• Like 10

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

isn't the Lightning force scheduled to for a 56s Sqd?  

56 Sqn. currently rejoices under the title Air Command and Control Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Operational Evaluation Unit (AIR C2ISR OEU) based at RAF Waddington along with most of the RAF's ISTAR resources although over the next few years with Sentry being withdrawn and replaced by whatever they might call the Wedgetail at Kinloss , Sentinel now up for withdrawal , suggestions that AirSeeker might possibly go to Mildenhall then the squadron number might become available again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...