Messerschmitt Me262A-1a, JV 44

Season's greetings all 

This is my take on Johannes Steinhoff's Me 262 'white 6', while he was flying with JV 44 at Munchen-Riem towards the end of the war.  In April 1945, his aircraft hit a badly-repaired bomb crater on take-off, which damaged his main gear and threw the aircraft off line.  In his own words, his aircraft was going 'too slow to get airborne and too fast to abort' and he received severe burns in the subsequent crash, which put him out of the war and in hospital for some time afterwards.  He recovered eventually to play a leading role in the new Luftwaffe, as well as within NATO.  I was lucky enough to meet him when I was a cub reporter in the mid-1980s.

The Hobby boss kit is pretty good, but is designed to be displayed 'open' (canopy, gun bays, etc) and doesn't take kindly to being closed up, so needed a bit of trimming, sanding and filling here and there.  As far as I can tell, JV 44's 262s were mostly finished in an overall 'blotchy' RLM82 green, and 'white 6' certainly seems to have been finished in this way, according to pics.  I've still had to use a fair bit of licence though, which is not unusual for late-war stuff ;) 

Hope you like it :) 

1unkr3y.jpg?1

0sqqKMe.jpg?1

OAsxpDY.jpg?1

DHHfZWv.jpg?1

2f9hXyW.jpg?1

wJstA3g.jpg?1

gc36AWQ.jpg

ftIHz8V.jpg

8fuxxoX.jpg

• Like 38

Thanks all :) 

Weirdly, it took a while to paint what is essentially a single colour (well, two RLM82 greens, one Vallejo, one Mig ;) ).  Painting the real thing was probably quicker.. ;) 

• Like 1

Nice work on this one. Excellent paint work.

Looks like you over came the nose area issue. I discovered the issue was that the lugs that hold the nose gear housing were a fraction too long. Once I cut them back everything closed up easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looks like you over came the nose area issue. I discovered the issue was that the lugs that hold the nose gear housing were a fraction too long. Once I cut them back everything closed up easily.

I think next time I'll try the plastic housing with a weight, rather than the metal one, which is a bit unforgiving.  The biggest problem was trying to fit the gun bay panels with the guns assembled inside.  I ended up removing much of the inside detail, just to get the doors to shut...!

On 28/12/2020 at 23:52, Werdna said:

I think next time I'll try the plastic housing with a weight, rather than the metal one, which is a bit unforgiving.  The biggest problem was trying to fit the gun bay panels with the guns assembled inside.  I ended up removing much of the inside detail, just to get the doors to shut...!

Yes, I did that as well. I also found that the plastic gear bay was as bad as the metal one. Which either one you use reduce each of the lugs by about 1mm. You will find the body parts will fit a lot better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a good looking 262, a simple colour scheme but perfectly painted. :like:  I have several of these kits to build, single and 2 seaters, I cannot decide whether to fill the fuselage panel lines and rivets like the real thing or leave them for a bit of surface interest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That is a good looking 262, a simple colour scheme but perfectly painted. :like:  I have several of these kits to build, single and 2 seaters, I cannot decide whether to fill the fuselage panel lines and rivets like the real thing or leave them for a bit of surface interest.

Thanks Bob :)  I did consider puttying, but I just don't have the patience.  I've got 'some' - but not that much... ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Thanks Bob :)  I did consider puttying, but I just don't have the patience.  I've got 'some' - but not that much... ;) 

I have 6 HB kits in the stash plus a couple of Tamiya ones that I started building, I thought that I would buy the Aires dropped slats and flaps set to add some interest, word of warning, they do not fit, the slat actuators are in different locations to the Tamiya wing.  Everyone says that the HB kit is a clone of the Tamiya one, but while the Tamiya kits undercarriage u/c and doors are riddled with injector pin indents, HB managed to make theirs without any, :shrug:

• Like 1