First 'Submission' Mistercraft 1/72 Gloster Javelin

Evening everyone,

This is my first submission to the 'ready for inspection' section. I finished this model just as we moved house in the summer between lockdowns. I've been keenly following everyone else's submissions which has to an extent put me of submitting these pictures, but in the search for some advice/guidance/tips to improve, after a couple of pints of Adnams' Mosaic, have stumped the confidence to submit. A very brief bulid-thread can be found in the work in progress section (Admins, if I need to close, or move the thread instead, apologies.)

50766867833_d649cc81c3_b.jpg 

50767606941_da165c6c10_b.jpg

50767727062_a74ffa9466_b.jpg

50767606701_5ed6ffde79_b.jpg

50767606791_df6106f4f1_b.jpgJ

A few learning experiences from this and speaking to friends who have got into the hobby this year:

- Primer first

- Filler for the gaps - Subsequently purchased Vallejo filler, still getting to grips with how much to use.

- Attempt model wash after applying lacquer (Haven't managed to get another kit to this stage yet)

- Thin paints, or ideally spray.  For my next builds, I've ordered humbrol aerosols from The Model Centre, but looking at the number of video tutorials, I'm soon coming to the realisation that airbrush is the way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cost-effective starter kit?

- Also ordered decalfix

Thanks everyone!

Jake

• Like 33

5 hours ago, Jake Wilson said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cost-effective starter kit?

Compressor and airbrush set

This one's for sale in Australia but I'm sure you can get the same thing or similar where you are. These little compressors are good for small jobs but I also sprayed my 1/48 Lancaster with one and a similar starter airbrush as my good stuff was left at home.

Edited by Bell209
Added link to model
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Jav, well done! I have brush painted for all 22 years I have been modelling and find that as long as you use rattlecan primer and thin with something (tap water works fine for a lot of acrylics!) you can get a perfectly good finish. Getting a good varnish coat with either a brush or a rattlecan is, however, still very challenging!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the supportive comments, really appreciated!

I've two mini-practice activities going on at the minute before I start the next proper build - a 1/72 B-58 Hustler. I'm using a Revell 1/72 Lighting F.6 that went very wrong as a practice for some humbrol rattle cans I purchased from the model centre as well as 1/72 Revell Spit, that's been a mule for hand-painting on primer and also decalfix - the latter isn't going to well!

Edited by Jake Wilson