Airfix Wellington

Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind comments on my Airfix Tucano so I thought I’d share my Airfix Wellington hot on the heels of it.

This was a mammoth build and it took quite a bit longer than I imagined. I have added a detailed build thread contained below. 

Here is the finished article and what would turn out to be my penultimate brushed model before turning to airbrushing. 

50767305492_34856c1161_b.jpg

50767276201_9bfee421c0_b.jpg

50767395367_70062a9f46_b.jpg

50766535903_c233abd787_b.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look and as always I appreciate and comments and criticisms so I can improve model on model.

James

• Like 36

Hi James,

this is a big model indeed and despite the longer job than expected, the final result is a great looking Wellington!

I love it!

Just one small point: only in Africa will street kids shine your tires with shoe polish! I doubt that this practice was common within Bomber Command in the 1940s...

I would make sure the tires are as mat as possible on any models, unless they belong to an African air force, of course!

Congrats for a super job!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi James,

this is a big model indeed and despite the longer job than expected, the final result is a great looking Wellington!

I love it!

Just one small point: only in Africa will street kids shine your tires with shoe polish! I doubt that this practice was common within Bomber Command in the 1940s...

I would make sure the tires are as mat as possible on any models, unless they belong to an African air force, of course!

Congrats for a super job!

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the kind comments and I agree about the tyres, must have been my air cadet background wanting everything black to shine like a toe cap 😂

It actually happened because I tried using the matt varnish but obviously got it wrong as it clouded quite heavily, so to rescue it I used the gloss varnish and unfortunately it has resulted in an aircraft that is maybe too glossy for a night bomber. I’m going to try airbrushing the matt varnish on another model in the future rather than brushing it and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Except for all the engine oil that dripped out of the cowling and nacelle onto the tires. All radial engines leak oil and those Bristol Pegasus engines were known to drip a lot.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

A really nice build James, I do like the nice clean finish so, other than already commented about matting it a bit more, really like the look you've got.

Steve.

I like them clean too but fancy practice in making them look weathered. Certainly the clean look is good as at the moment I’ve got no washes but I’ve got an oil stain wash on order, might be used on this, the Halifax and anything else I’ve got with radials engines and certainly heavily used on the Sea King I’ve got to build. As the old saying goes with the Sea King “if it isn’t leaking, it’s empty”

• Like 1