A Pair of Kittens-Port Victoria PV7 & PV8

Marklo

resized_54bb7368-d24d-4ade-b780-76b1276dThis is the mk I box and I’ve gotten good 

resized_19e43679-d55a-4181-a308-71df0094

And less good 

resized_5156fb1e-9c98-4b62-86ef-65548387 
results from it.

But yes so far I’ve always got useable parts from my vac reforming sessions albeit needing more or less filler afterwards :) 

• Like 3

resized_3729eee6-4181-4e23-b276-61ee0f7eA bit more progress on the fuselages. 

Not a good day overall, the Cats in the vet and may be on his last legs and some extremely abortive attempts to replace the fill valve in the en-suite toilet, resulting in a stained kitchen ceiling. Ho hum....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

resized_5105a2f6-32d9-451f-b05a-b60a0dc5Cockpit combing attached and seat and decking dry fitted in the PV7. Unfortunately that bulkheads going to have to go may also need to remove the one to the front of the cockpit too. Made an identical seat for the PV8 but it’s way too wide so will have to go again.

Unfortunately poor Snoball isn’t too good :( 

But at least I’ve managed to fix my plumbing.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 1

resized_f1ad01a4-2432-4860-bd54-75ac7d3ewasn’t happy with the bulkheads on the grain kitten so dremeled out and re fitted now allowing enough space for the cockpit.

e66991a3-cf85-405f-b03d-47e91f34a77c.jpeMade a new narrower seat for the Eastchurch kitten.

76c8f90e-c541-4162-bcbe-060f1f8b21c8.jpeTwo ips made from random WWI air scale decals.

And alas poor Snoball is no more. :(  For the first time in about thirty years we are petless :( 

• Sad 3

Thanks Col in fairness he was in pretty bad shape when he came to us and although we only had him for 9 months they were good ones.

My next door neighbours cat is now making a play to move in :) 

resized_06ee300a-5176-4d85-b421-28fd3eac
On the modelling front the kittens got their interiors, tails and decking attached. Just need a bit of a cleanup and seatbelts and we’re ready for wing. If you look carefully you can see I’ve added control horns which I’ll rig after painting is done. 

• Like 3

Like you we have had cats for about 30 years - anything from one to three at the same time. When the last of our first 5 died a couple of years back two months short of her 21st birthday, it was upsetting to the point that I decided we would avoid the pain and upset of loss again, by not getting anymore. After 3 months without a cat in the house it just did not feel right so I was persuaded to get another one, and followers of my build threads will know that we ended up with a pair of hairy hooligans. They can be a real pain at times, but we would not be without them.

Pete

As happens my wife is very allergic to cats which is why we got the dog 14 years ago and banished the cats to the garden ( that didn’t really last) so we really shouldn’t have cats at all, that said we’ve had at least one cat for the last thirty years.

I think it’s fairly inevitable ( notwithstanding the neighbours cat) that well acquire a cat and or a dog before too long as the place is just too quiet without pets.

• Like 1

resized_9e7e38e0-6350-4536-8d3f-1e7b4fc8

resized_6db91a98-91e7-480b-9216-bf3d9e8a

resized_d2191871-c7bf-474a-b42d-d5f49196

resized_18850a37-ab03-4500-a952-a39db1d9
Noses on both still a little filling and sanding left. Upper wings assembled and dry fitted on both. It worked out easiest to do the I beam interplanetary struts first for the Eastchurch kitten and the cabana struts for the Grain kitten first.

Just need a few more little jobs before attaching both wings; drilling all the rigging holes, the cockpit combing in the Eastchurch. Then it’s just the undercarriage and paint.

• Like 3

Nice progress again...

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

...Just need a few more little jobs before attaching both wings; drilling all the rigging holes, the cockpit combing in the Eastchurch. Then it’s just the undercarriage and paint.

Love the matter-of-fact way you've put this :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Love the matter-of-fact way you've put this :lol:

I suppose it just happens to be one of those builds that’s going to plan. For example I got both sets of struts on first time, that as often as  not, never happens :) 

Edited by Marklo

9eeb0d96-044b-4b39-af97-590c81793051.jpeUndercarriages built and rigged. Pv 7 on the left. Brass rod axels skinned in .25mm sheet, shaved cocktail sticks as struts.  Just about ready to fit both. I have one pair of wheels in the spares box so I need to find or make a second.

First time using .4mm fishing line and I think I’ve finally found the right rigging material.

• Like 1

resized_ae0963cd-c9ff-4291-ad4a-4d8ac86e

Lots of holes drilled and a lick of paint. Buff on the undersides, a first thin coat of khaki drab and some silver enamel on the noses. Another coat of khaki then I’ll finish with a coat of PC10. Brush painted so far doesn’t seem worth breaking out the airbrush for such small planes. I may spray the PC10 as it doesn’t brush well.

• Like 3

It seems almost a shame these two were painted in camouflage colours rather than the brighter schemes favoured during the interwar period.

• Like 1

resized_d9a6d91b-b31a-488e-87ca-f267e605

resized_19caf035-2db1-43ae-9296-448f19d3

resized_52fc7ecd-f5d3-4db3-8e87-682b7930

resized_210a6f3c-d664-47a4-aaac-c67767ae
A bit more paintwork. Also fitted the cabana struts and wheels to the Eastchurch kitten. Final coat of PC1O then rigging, engine cylinders and props and national insignia and were done. 

hmm might break out the airbrush layer in the week as by then I’ll have the FW190, the two kittens and the F117a ready for paint.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Col. said:

It seems almost a shame these two were painted in camouflage colours rather than the brighter schemes favoured during the interwar period.

This is what put me off British aircraft for many years, but somehow lately I’ve come to appreciate the overall form and look past the pondslime green/brown :) 

That said the JagdStafellen although equally present in the stash, are under represented on the shelf. Although the JI and CIX which are in progress will help balance things a bit :) 

• Like 1

resized_7e6346ec-9498-4062-a358-0b1fedce

resized_4a0f6e34-0ad9-4fae-86f1-2ca3718f

The grain kitten gets its wings, courtesy of a Lego jig to ensure it is straight and level.

I’ll rig the cabane struts and fill the tip wing holes before painting after which I’ll add the interplane struts and rigging as the through holes for them are in the underside of the wing and I’m brush painting that.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

resized_1c925364-7801-49e4-8bd4-7b216c32Rigging the cabane struts on the grain kitten. I’ll fill the through holes and the slight gaps between wing sections then it’s ready for a finish coat of PC10.

I'm aiming to have the two kittens, my FW190 and the F117 ready for an airbrush session next week. 

• Like 2