A Pair of Kittens-Port Victoria PV7 & PV8

Marklo

Time on my hands but not able to get to the bench so I decided to go through a few reference books and amongst others decided that I should add these two to my collection. Both are quite diminutive and should be a much easier build than the Nighthawk, so a semi mojo restorer.

resized_963b8e55-1902-43cd-a624-8de74b39The PV 7 aka the Grain kitten. A terrible aeroplane with an unreliable engine. Designed to be small enough to launch from a transport ship with a 30hp 2 cylinder engine and a single Lewis gun( not fitted)

resized_20bbace3-2ca3-4984-9dbf-0d5288cd

The PV8 aka the Eastchurch Kitten a great little aeroplane but still an unreliable engine. The single Lewis was fitted to the prototype. Given a reliable engine it would probably have gone into series production.

resized_117ddc67-a337-4003-b900-326c4b56Last up my 1/48 scale drawings drawn from my copy of warplanes of the First World War vol 3. As you can see both fit in an A4 sheet even in 1/48 they’re tiny.

More to follow, should start cutting  plastic soon.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Funny I think of these as quite conventional albeit small.

resized_2055c11e-bfe4-40e5-ac06-9d397891

Now this I consider weird; a double biplane floatplane with a double boom tail( and yes I have plans :) ) once I figure out how to make the hull it’s going on the list btw.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

resized_b5cf55bf-0046-4d8e-b57b-d0099647Started cutting plastic. Tail planes and most of the fuselage pieces cut. I’ll cut out the rest later on. Hopefully be ready to start assembling tomorrow.

Still not sure if I’ll need to mold the noses and turtlenecks, I’ll get a better idea once the fuselages are together.

• Like 6

photos/images/user/4687b1d8-729a-4290-bd01-dd7e49aa5009/resized_58527cd4-3b62-4d11-ab68-949a0c8cd407.jpeg
Fuselages starting to come together.

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

If those are standard size WWI era wheels the PV8 really is tiny!

The PV8 (the larger of the two) was 15ft 11 1/2 inches wide and 15ft 7 1/2inches long, so yes both are pretty small.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

photos/images/user/4687b1d8-729a-4290-bd01-dd7e49aa5009/resized_58527cd4-3b62-4d11-ab68-949a0c8cd407.jpeg
Fuselages starting to come together.

The PV8 (the larger of the two) was 15ft 11 1/2 inches wide and 15ft 7 1/2inches long, so yes both are pretty small.

Wonder if they were light enough to be considered three axis microlights now?

• Like 1

From the first picture I knew this was from 'Warplanes of the First World War vol 3'. Almost everyone I know has a copy of Volume 3 but Ive never come across Volumes 1 or 2!

These look like great scratch build projects but I look forward to seeing the double floatplane in the 'anything but injection' GB later in the new year.

Colin

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

These look like great scratch build projects but I look forward to seeing the double floatplane in the 'anything but injection' GB later in the new year.

That sounds like a challenge. It’s an Oertz W6 and it’s so mad I really do intend to build one and that actually does sound like a great fit for that GB. It will be a nice antidote to the nine foreign me109s I’m planning for the STGB.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_223dfb03-1eb9-470f-a861-def87681

resized_52ffdfd3-412d-44ba-aa4a-1dc20390

Size comparison against an Fw190  F8 in the same scale. The wings for the PV7 have been sanded, rolled and skinned just need to have the trailing edges glued and then trimmed. The PV8 isn’t too far behind. Also working on the molds for the two noses.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

That gives a real sense of just how small the PV7 was and the 190 wasn't by any means a big machine in itself. In fact it looks as if it wouldn't be out of place sitting in front of the local Tesco waiting for parents to put 50p in the slot to keep their toddlers quiet for a couple of minutes :pilot:

5 hours ago, Col. said:

In fact it looks as if it wouldn't be out of place sitting in front of the local Tesco waiting for parents to put 50p in the slot to keep their toddlers quiet for a couple of minutes 

I’ve seen photos of a replica PV7 with a pilot sitting in it ( almost on it, it’s so small) and it looks like a big radio controlled model not a real aeroplane.

3f0e4e84-d0dc-4608-9f73-574dd3ca39f3.jpe

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Alright, stupid question time, was the prop length dictated by clearance for the Lewis gun?

Does look like it doesn’t it.

resized_101c075f-3760-45db-bf65-658eb838

My collection of bits. The PV7 wings are trimmed and shaped; the PV8 ones are cut to the correct chord width but need the ends shaped.

resized_c56d2200-f2bb-4a82-b551-3d4338a1Which if arranged in the right order is starting to look like two little aeroplanes. 

I think I’ll try vac forming the noses and decking. Even though it’s a simpler shape I think I’ll mold the foredeck for the Eastchurch as well won’t take too much carving and I’ll have space on the mold.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Col. said:

In fact it looks as if it wouldn't be out of place sitting in front of the local Tesco waiting for parents to put 50p in the slot to keep their toddlers quiet for a couple of minutes 

The PV7 or the bright yellow FW190?

AW

resized_a6e7a105-1a54-40ea-b37f-b5a23f9d

My pre drawing calculations wanted to see if I could do complicated maths without a calculator :) 

resized_264c09f6-26b0-4c11-a4da-65a6f59c
Vac form of the bits. The noses didn’t work out but the decking is ok but not getting a hard edge hmmm.  Still first outing with the mk ii vacuum box not too bad bits needs a bit more development.

resized_7140f056-e530-475c-96a8-2faf4e7bSo plunge molded the noses and then some rough cleanup in the deck pieces. I have an old buck for the camel nose shock I’ll plunge mold. 

• Like 3

Perhaps you need a smaller frame to mold each piece individually? Looks as if you've got acceptable results to work from regardless though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Perhaps you need a smaller frame to mold each piece individually? Looks as if you've got acceptable results to work from regardless though.

Could be, I also think the hoover wasn’t at its highest setting. The decking pieces are fine for the kittens and the plunge molded noses will work fine, but I’d love to perfect my vac forming for bigger projects. I also raised the blanks up and this might have been a mistake.

I think if I actually set the temp for the plastic ( I have a little tabletop oven which I acquired but haven’t used yet) make sure the vacuum is at max strength and maybe tape up some of the unused holes in the vacuum box I’ll get a better result. So far I’ve only really gotten sharp results on my Sopwith snark vac fuselage and my Horsa. Still will keep plugging away, I reckon my next project that’s going to require moulding will be the Oertz W6 when I get to it.

• Like 2