Kushans Blitzbuild - 1/72 TS-11 Iskra 200 BR

Hello All! Ok for this year i am going to attempt the following kit, slightly scaling my ambitions back from the twin engined SB-2 of this summers blitzbuild. Thought i would stick with a single engine, and avoid the issues of a prop by going into the jet era!

So with that in mind, this is the kit i will be working on today! 

YncEdxsN_o.jpg

Well, parts already look lightyears ahead of the Novo SB-2 i worked on earlier in the year, so lets hope less filling is needed!  

NztufhY9_o.jpg

From the looks of it, the instructions make this appear quite a simple build. The hope is to do this over the 2 day/12hrs per day option, and its my intention to get most of the body and interior complete today, primer sprayed this evening, and then camo and decals and stores tomorrow..... lets just see how well i stick to that.

Will be staying completely stock, with some very slight additions here and there where the kit leaves areas looking a bit sparse.  There is some details that im told are 'signatures' of this airframe, such as the aerodynamic fairings for the control rod horns (is this the right name, im not sure - poor res pic below, triangular shapes above and below wing at hardpoint area)

220px-TS-11_Iskra_R_RB2.JPG

No pilot because he looks like he fell out the mold head first, and im probably going to try and raid a kit or 2 for some instrument panel dial decals (found decal sheet, has IP decals!).  Gear down config, with a bit of noseweight.

YnCV1Xuc_o.jpg

All things being well hoping to kick this off at 2.30pm once ive cleared a bit more of the desk away and wrestled with the wrapping paper monster that has been created in the wake of xmas day into the recycling bin!   I love the cover art, and the slightly disproportionate appearance of the single seat ground attack variant, and think that is what i plan to produce! Because of blitzbuild ruling, that means ill have a little LESS than 24hrs to get this done, by my estimates, around 22hrs. But fingers crossed this looks like a simple kit with few steps....what can go wrong!?!

Lets see how this one progresses! 

• Like 1

Ok, bit of a late start! got started at 3.18pm

LWWfuB5l_o.jpg

and first thing was a light coat of grey primer on everything. once that dries ill see how things look and begin painting and cockpit assembly. not sure if i might need to quickly fashion some kind of firewall behind the pilots seat to blank out the rear or if there will be a gaping maw left... 

So after a few hours we got here

eLpPptfC_o.jpg

Christmas cake and primer coat

E8PP3G01_o.jpg

Cockpit with IP decal..... this had problems (more to follow!)

Z4VEmGji_o.jpg

ayJWv2Bz_o.jpg

So thats where i got to by around 8pm! currently having a bit of a supper break :D  - now that instrument panel decal did not work out well. Little did i realise when removing it, that it had a giant transparent border 2-3mm thk in each direction. in the process of trimming that back, as its dried its come loose, torn, and generally taken a bit of a beating! so only around half the decal survives, the rest is silver and black dots to try and guide the eye away from the area.

No need to bother even making the engine i think, let alone fiddling about with detail. it wont be visible through the intakes or exhaust, so could have saved myself some time there. Now sure it will likely cause fit issues in future!

Also note to self - dont change from a 2yr old bottle of superglue to some brand new stuff mid build - the difference in thickness and speed of setting has kept me fixed a little firmer than i would like to half the parts im gluing together! 

• Like 1

Unfortunately we got an aborted takeoff on this latest Blitzbuild contestant.  Got the model complete but ran out of time for paint decals and finishing. 

Deciding to go the single seat option was definitley my downfall,as this left large gaps where the hinged 2 seater canopy would have been, and required totally scratchbuilding the rear bulkhead behind the pilot. On the other hand, i learned how to do bulkheads and also fill and sand large gaps to a degree i haven't before, so it was a generally positive experience overall.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think next time i will attempt to do a blitzbuild with a Lidl/Aldi Airfix Starter Kit Special - choosing these 3 or 4 decade old builds for blitzes might be a bit of a tall order for my skills (and project planning)! 

Hope to get this completed in the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1