1/72 Airfix Tiger Moth - Aussie Version - Completed

Oh Go on Then I'll Have Go as Well

A day too late, I have braved all to do the Airfix Tiger Moth:  

IMG_3553

Start time is 10:23 ish on Sunday 27 December GMT.  It will be the Australian version as it doesn't need any yellow strips and is therefore all one colour to paint.  I have had two previous attempts at this kit and both have speared-in!  So hopefully it is third time lucky, the fiddly bits won't break and I won't be trying any rigging. 

Edited by Olmec Head
finished
  • Like 1

Pressing on -Slow Progress

Time is now 21/2 ish hours on and I am behind where I thought I could be...

The cockpit is done, the instrument panels needed a bit of a trim to fit and the decals were also trimmed down as they are too large full stop.

I then painted the cockpit and put in some basic Tamiya tape Sutton harness straps.  The fuselage is now being mercilessly clamped as it was a bit gappy.  

IMG_3555

Next will be the tailplane, the nose and lower wing.  The Airfix nose has a bit of a fit problem, but I am going to go with the kit as is and not try to adapt it.  That way would lead to ...

• Like 1

Despite difficulties, our glorious maker presses on

1600 (Z) hrs - 5 and 1/2 hours on.

I had forgotten that all the small struts on this kit break just by thinking of them.  Pretty much each strut broke as I tried to detach them.  Some I managed to fix with superglue, some were replaced with plastic strut.  I know now why I swore never to try this kit again!  That said this one has got further than my previous 2 attempts  - look it even has the top wing balanced on prior to undercoating.  I kept the outer wing strut 'strengtheners'  on, although I know that they will be tedious to remove at the end without leaving little sprue stubs.

IMG_3557

• Like 4

State of Play at the End of Day One

I was going to undercoat with Halfords Plastic primer, but that's a bit slow, so I have used Tamiya RAF Dark Green as an undecoat/ first colour.  The finish should be RAAF Foliage green, I might use a Vallejo Dark Green which is a bit greener; or I will probably just do a second coat of the Tamiya.  Trying to airbrush in a garage in the UK at freezing point is not ideal.  Really this is like the last entry but in green and a bottle of Stilton flavoured beer.  

IMG_3559

• Like 1

• Olmec Head changed the title to 1/72 Airfix Tiger Moth - Aussie Version - Completed

Now Completed

Stop the clock! 1600 (Z) hours ish

The Markings are on, Airfix decals are excellent and always go on well.  So I am calling this done.  Thanks to Enzo for the GB.  This is the third 1/72 Airfix Tiger Moth that I have started and the only one I have finished, its a finicky little kit with lots of little struts that break.   Sorry,  the rigging was beyond me.

IMG_4488

Tiger Moth of No.12 Local Air Supply Unit (LASU) Kiarivu Airfield PNG Aug 1945.

• Like 5

It looks great!

I've built all the 1/72 versions of this except this one, and after seeing your build I’m now on a very slippery slope! The foliage green looks very nice too.

I might have, ahem, broken the odd strut myself...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I remember your kits, they looked considerably better than mine.  The Aussie version is a nice scheme; I have a 1/48 Airfix Tiger Moth to do sometime as a post war RAF basic trainer.  The new ICM 1/32 might be interesting as well.