Herbiski the Crush Bug (1/24)

Tim R-T-C

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Alright, you have me curious. I have that same tank in the stash which will be my first 1/35 tank when I get around to it. I'll be watching this.

Okay a little bit of context.

My local IPMS club (Keighley, West Yorkshire) have an annual group build contest where you all get one kit and can build it any way you want.

Last year was the T62, but as a new modeller I didn't want to brave this big kit so put it aside. This year was the more simple Beetle kit.

So to try and be creative I decided to blend these to make the sort of display vehicle you might see crushing cars at a fairground event.

No idea if it will work and I've never built a 1/35 vehicle before, so lets see what happens over the next 24 hours...

• Like 1

After a nice lunch n'brew I spent most of the afternoon filling the gaps between Beetle cab and tank shell.

spacer.png

Then covered the whole thing in primer (it did get another coat after the picture) in preparation for hopefully painting tomorrow - I need to rattle can it which I do outside, so it will depend on the weather! Sidekick mode is employed for the GB.

spacer.png

Edited by Tim R-T-C
Sidekick
  • Like 5

So I got out this morning to spray at 1030, the parts are now resting in my sophisticated drying facility.

So I've got 12 hours for it to dry and to slap on some decals.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

When  I read crush bug I thought the tank would be running over the Beetle.

Now it all becomes clear. From flat four to V 12 in two cuts of a Dremel.

This will, of course, affect the mpg.

More like gpm I suspect. 😉

• Like 4

So firstly, viynl tracks are an utter *expletive* to stick and I can see why everyone avoids these!

Managed to get them pretty much in situ after a lot of work.

Then slapped on a few decals, including a tanker's version of Herbie's 53 racing number.

And I'm calling it done. Adding a 24th scale figure for scale as it is supposed to be a roughly 2/3rd scale Beetle fibreglass body mounted to a Soviet tank style body made from an old construction vehicle chassis. Access is via the rear panel you can see propped slightly open.

spacer.png

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to Herbiski the Crush Bug (1/24)