1/35 Takom Mk11 Chieftain and FV432

Nick C

16 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Sorry to say probably not! The Takom kit is a late model 432 with cam pole holders and different shape wing mirrors and fire extinguishers.

Usually if a side bin was fitted it was a long chieftain bin ‘acquired’ by fair means or foul. 

Ivan

ps they wouldn’t have had the top cage either! any one would have been locally made by the crew or knocked up in the REME workshop

Thanks Ivan, I'll have to have a look and see what I can do. No top cage (fortunately) as I'm going to open the top hatches up.

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

The new cam system was issued in 94 for my unit and it took a good 12 months for the brackets to be welded to the fleet Nick, the kits we had were meant for the Warrior so were bodged on to the 43’s, I can remember the REME Tiffy saying that they were not allowed to just weld them on at the time as there was no official instruction. 

Our Cages were local manufacture by the REME and were a bit rough and ready, a lot bigger than the cage Takom provide which looks like it’s proper issued CES item. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Dads203, @ivan-o, @Hamden & @Swiftnbold for the help on the details.

Picks from late last weekend show the addition of some details and markings;

51834813517_7a474eadcc_k.jpg

51836113034_5d64a6b657_h.jpg

Fire extinguisher markings are from the Accurate Armour set;

51835761576_7e6288e313_h.jpg

Exhausts and spare track links as well as marking on the Chieftain, the track links are a bit too rusty and will get toned down. The oil drum will get a strap as well. Red cross on the first aid kit (far left) was donated from an admirals ensign on a 1/350 Royal Navy ship;

51836113059_782cd718ce_h.jpg  

51836494960_3df2ce13db_h.jpg

Um'd and ah'd about it but based on feedback, this morning I started removing the cam pole holders and the side bin😬. Wouldn't have been happy leaving it and knowing it wasn;t quite right for the period. The Fire extinguishers are staying tho!

51836113004_c1fd84e4cc_h.jpg 

51835889253_166bc52566_b.jpg

Should clean up ok, I've got a single Chieftain side bin from the spares box I can use to cover any damage that can't be sanded away satisfactorily.  

Cheers

Nick

• Like 10

The BCF fire extinguishers were replaced in the early 90’s for those versions you have modelled on the 43 so I reckon you are close, pretty sure Chieftain MK 11’s were still kicking about in training units. I seem to remember hearing that characteristic engine sound on CTA (Catterick Training Area) in the early 90’s from some donkey wallopers training sprog crews. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

If you don't mind me saying Nick.....

I never saw a Mk2 with a rusty exhaust, MK1 yes, every single one but the diesel engines exhaust never got hot enough to flake the paint.

Hi mate, don;t mind at all. I was going for this kind of look from the Tankograd book;

51837249612_5a282be1de_b.jpg

51838938745_d422fccef7_b.jpg

Are they painted that colour rather than rust showing through?

The side bin and cam pole holders removal is complete, not too much damage!

51838942680_d32f6f6f0e_h.jpg

Sand bag covers added to the mirrors from tissue paper and white glue;, they'll help disguise the late model mirror shape;

51837249637_f81f89ac2f_b.jpg

FInal details going on, padlocks and Chieftain turret stowage;

51838201216_f697cbe29d_h.jpg

51838556814_2f2b11387d_k.jpg

51837249462_3dcbc8c9fc_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nick

• Like 11

Thats not rust on the exhaust of the 43, the heat used to change the colour very quickly to an almost pink colour. 

The closer to the baffle box then the hotter and more pink the paint used to turn, further away it didnt get as hot so 

some of the original colour used to show towards the end of the pipe. 

The K60 engined 43's exhaust used to get really hot, hot enough to cook on, after a road move of a few hours we used to place compo tins 

on the exhaust pipe - dented so they didn't explode, it used to warm them up nicely. A handy little tip if we moved into a location fully tac with no engines running.

The BV was of course the main way of cooking but if the 43 wasnt running then they could flatten the vehicle batteries pretty quick if we used the BV's not good 

in some tight locations where getting another 43 to slave you ( Jump Start) could be very difficult.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Thats not rust on the exhaust of the 43, the heat used to change the colour very quickly to an almost pink colour. 

3 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

I never saw a Mk2 with a rusty exhaust, MK1 yes, every single one but the diesel engines exhaust never got hot enough to flake the paint.

Thanks both, so maybe a light red/brown with a hint of the original black stripes showing through? 

Cheers

Nick

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Thanks both, so maybe a light red/brown with a hint of the original black stripes showing through? 

Cheers

Nick

Everything from a rust colour/red brown/ light pink to a salmon pink, all depanding on how many layers of paint and how long since its last repaint, in my case the wagons were painted often 

in my unit ,the exhaust tip was black with soot. One thing that they guys used to do to any new person posted in from the factory was to pour a waterbottle down the exhaust pipe and get him to look for "smoke " fairly close to pipe  when it was started up.  The individual would get covered by black sooty water when the driver hit the gas and the contents were thown out at a rapid rate.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what's going on with that one Nick but the only time I saw anything like that was if they were painted with red oxide.

I've had a scan through Google images and there are some scabby examples with faded paint but not rusted except for some REME 434s that seemed to suffer from it. I can honestly say the LAD attached to our Bn never had rust of any kind on theirs nor did our 432s (except on the tracks), we rarely painted the exterior of ours (internally some did),  just kept them clean and serviceable.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

I don't know what's going on with that one Nick but the only time I saw anything like that was if they were painted with red oxide.

I've had a scan through Google images and there are some scabby examples with faded paint but not rusted except for some REME 434s that seemed to suffer from it. I can honestly say the LAD attached to our Bn never had rust of any kind on theirs nor did our 432s (except on the tracks), we rarely painted the exterior of ours (internally some did),  just kept them clean and serviceable.

Thanks for the info, based on this and what @Dads203 said above, I'm going to redo the exhaust for more of a faded paint look. I wrongly assumed rust, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction 👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Limited progress of late due to work stuff, but a little bit done;

Exhaust repainted re/brown with a hint of pink at the hot end;

51879369456_cda0fb8935_h.jpg

The 432's had a filter to try and break up the colours a bit, and the crew are on board!

51880013345_f07a70da8b_h.jpg

Chieftain commander's cupola has been fitted, GPMG still needs some attention;

51880013285_9d99cc1318_k.jpg

And the tracks are done ready for weathering, went for a German grey over a black primer as pics of these modern ish vehicles don't show too much rust on the tracks. The tracks had dark steel pigment rubbed on the high points and thene the rubber track pads fitted;  

51878400312_38011fae37_k.jpg

More soon hopefully!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 11

Wheels have been dirtied up (undersides of the hull as well) with a dust wash and pigments;

51894514466_a8c01de730_h.jpg

And installed;

51894849364_e681d975e9_k.jpg

And the tracks on - finally;

51894602138_8efc577026_k.jpg

51894514431_107a47a631_k.jpg

But I lost the barrel off the GPMG, with hindsight I fitted the commander's cupola and figure way too early 🙄  

Cheers

Nick

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Nick C said:

I fitted the commander's cupola and figure way too early

It's always a gamble and a compromise when we fit bits on. It's something of a problem area for me as a newish armour modeller, I still haven't worked out what I'm going to break and what I won't be able to paint to match the hull!

Nevertheless, your project is looking good.

• Like 2

Little update today,

Side plates installed, not a great fit but I think that more operator error. Turret and gun in place to see how it looks overall;

51894128962_d2c277e42f_k.jpg

The pair together;

51895427109_7df5f50271_h.jpg

51895745315_503aebc795_h.jpg

Started the weathering on the lower hull;

51895745265_3be3e77c4a_k.jpg

Highlights and a pin wash on the uppers and then some weathering and they'll be there.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Swiftnbold said:

All your hard work has paid off Nick.

You've produced two outstanding, museum standard replicas of a pair of cold war icons.

Not quite finished yet but thank you. Hope the weathering and base won't detract from them!

16 hours ago, ivan-o said:

As they day ‘what a pair’! Lovely work done there Nick👌

Cheers Ivan

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Totally agree!

Stay safe          Roger

Thank you Roger

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely work Nick, both are really looking the business fella :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan