1/35 Takom Mk11 Chieftain and FV432

Nick C

Cages are perfect Nick, buckled up just right, some outlets for the BV's and the blue multi cable?

Pin the mudflaps up for cross country or they'll defiantly get ripped off, that'll pee off the MTO and another A-job to the never ending list at barracks....

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, beefy66 said:

Some excellent details going into this Chris great work.  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers Beefy

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well this is something special! It's a very entertaining and informative thread. Great modelling!

Thanks Bertie, I'm learning loads about the real things as I go

22 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

Cages are perfect Nick, buckled up just right, some outlets for the BV's and the blue multi cable?

Pin the mudflaps up for cross country or they'll defiantly get ripped off, that'll pee off the MTO and another A-job to the never ending list at barracks....

Thanks for the feedback advice, much appreciated!

BV's and mudflaps done but I'm not sure about the cable. Out of curiosity, where did it plug into? I had assumed the BV's power supply were integral to the vehicle wiring.  

Mud flaps are pinned, and it's all ready for priming;

51785376656_59fbb770ab_h.jpg

I hadn't really looked at the BV's, I assume the tea dispenser is represented on the kit by the bump on the bottom right of each unit? Checked Dr Google and made some up out of brass rod;

51785997434_4ab826a019_b.jpg

Added some handles and the vents on the top as well and a bit of silver on the clasps, also a piece of 0.2mm copper wire on top to 'split' the unit - If I'd noticed before assembly I'd have put a saw cut but too late!

Before;

51785997369_29c0376fa6_b.jpg

After;

51786249575_ea46f6e0cc_b.jpg

I'll give em some chipping for wear as part of the final weathering.

All ready for priming;

51784561392_0d0dea9282_h.jpg

And finally, some paint on the outside;

51786249555_dab90db3a9_k.jpg

Bit of touch up and some green tomorrow - I love Christmas holidays!!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 13

Yes, the BVs plugged into a double outlet (over/under) on the hinge side of the hull about level with the vessels on their folding shelf. They were retained with a fabric strap and buckle, you've got the colour spot on Nick. They usually had a brass plate on the lids and the dispenser had a short spout facing down which was operated by pressing that plunger you've added on the end, the black mushroom on the top was a vent as the vessels were watertight and unregulated so the steam needed to escape. The BV inlets were push-in and I think 4 pin male?

Excellent work again mate.

P.s - Does the kit have the limit switch box at the corner of the door and the stay bar to keep it open?

Edited by Swiftnbold
Correction
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Its getting really nice, although the photos are a bit dark at this side.

Cheers

LM

Taken at night under a desk lamp, hopefully they'll be better in daylight.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

Taken at night under a desk lamp, hopefully they'll be better in daylight.

Cheers

Nick

Of course. One lamp inst enough. You need at least to and better 3 to illuminate the tank properly. That's how I do it, and use a big plastic case that I use for storage to get a more diffused light.

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Details added to both vehicles;

Lights, tools, cables (which need toning down) and big reflecty things added to the 432 - not sure whether to leave the florescent markings on - any advice please?  

51824497884_1c94a77b5d_h.jpg

51824156391_4b122340e9_h.jpg

51824157596_e2ae6fdde5_h.jpg

And the same for for the Chieftain;

51824877420_e68dd680b4_h.jpg

51824499469_bf119ffb51_h.jpg

51824265468_1fd2f04f6c_h.jpg

51824878020_b87143d21c_h.jpg

Markings next and then it can all come together.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 9

Looking rather smart Nick, I'd leave the wide vehicle reflectors in place

they add a touch of colour and it was illegal to drive on the roads with out them fella.

Ours were pop riveted onto the back bins so were a permanent feature. i think the only time they would be removed would be in time of conflict.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dads203 said:

they add a touch of colour and it was illegal to drive on the roads with out them fella.

Ours were pop riveted onto the back bins so were a permanent feature. i think the only time they would be removed would be in time of conflict.

Thank you, I'll do that. I have some spare decals so can make a set for the Chieftain.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I don't know when that came in but we went through the 80s and 90s without them so depending on the time you want to depict would decide whether they stay.

Personally I'd leave them off.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:59 PM, LeeM said:

Hi Nick

Your doing a great job on both these vehicles. Some great scratching too.

Thanks Lee 

On 1/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, Hamden said:

These  are turning into a stunning pair very nice work

Stay safe      Roger

Cheers Roger

On 1/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, Swiftnbold said:

I don't know when that came in but we went through the 80s and 90s without them so depending on the time you want to depict would decide whether they stay.

Personally I'd leave them off.

Thanks, but now I have a quandary 😜 

11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Thanks, but now I have a quandary 😜 

Not really, the side bin on the 43 is a very late addition, probably added when the fleet were re-engined/Bowmanisation very close to that date.

Certainly never seen one in my time 1989 - 2001 so the 43 would of had the hazzard plates on the back bins thats for sure. 

• Thanks 1

@Nick C said  "Thanks, but now I have a quandary"

All 430's going through base overall at ABRO/DSG when I worked there 1995 to 2011 left with wide vehicle plates fitted. They were of coarse base overhauling them long before I went there to work.

Hope this helps 

Stay safe               Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Not really, the side bin on the 43 is a very late addition, probably added when the fleet were re-engined/Bowmanisation very close to that date.

Certainly never seen one in my time 1989 - 2001 so the 43 would of had the hazzard plates on the back bins thats for sure. 

31 minutes ago, Hamden said:

@Nick C said  "Thanks, but now I have a quandary"

All 430's going through base overall at ABRO/DSG when I worked there 1995 to 2011 left with wide vehicle plates fitted. They were of coarse base overhauling them long before I went there to work.

Hope this helps 

Stay safe               Roger

Thanks both. I suppose this raises another question - is a 432 with the side bin 'ok' with a mk 11 Chieftain? (please say yes)!! 

Sorry to say probably not! The Takom kit is a late model 432 with cam pole holders and different shape wing mirrors and fire extinguishers.

Usually if a side bin was fitted it was a long chieftain bin ‘acquired’ by fair means or foul. 

Ivan

ps they wouldn’t have had the top cage either! any one would have been locally made by the crew or knocked up in the REME workshop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1