1/35 Takom Mk11 Chieftain and FV432

Nick C

On 8/31/2021 at 9:28 AM, robgizlu said:

Very fine face painting Nick and the DPM looks spot on.

Just caught up with this - outstanding all round

Rob

Thanks Rob 👍

On 8/31/2021 at 8:18 AM, Bullbasket said:

They all look as if they've just been told that their 48 hour passes have just been cancelled. Nice work with the face painting.

John.

Thanks John, they do look suitably miserable!

On 8/31/2021 at 7:33 AM, edjbartos said:

Just gone through your work, absolutely stunning, wonderful work especially the time it must have taken to do all that PE, just looks great...👍

looking forward to seeing some more

Ed

Cheers Ed

On 8/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, vytautas said:

The heads are painted really well!
On the ends of stakes, they look slightly macabre... Especially number four on the last photo :D

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

Slow progress due to work stuff;

Had another look at the faces and in natural light as opposed to a desk lamp thought they looked a bit 'blotchy' were the colours didn't blend too well. I had a spare set of hornet heads for another planned project so thought I'd try again;

Before;

IMG_6184

After; 

51584885945_c16c026824_k.jpg

And with mikes fitted, the driver with goggles in hasn't been redone for comparison;

51583096442_2908db1598_k.jpg

The new ones may a bit too 'pink' but im happier with the shading so I'm going to stick with these.

Test fit of the stowage in the 432 and Chieftain;

51583096392_72961548c1_h.jpg

51583928041_68b53c1fb3_b.jpg

51583928131_abc167c30f_b.jpg

And bits painted up in preparation for placing in the 432;

51584898460_7d2396b8ee_h.jpg

51584831735_cd459b4206_k.jpg

Cheers

Nick

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

Had another look at the faces and in natural light as opposed to a desk lamp thought they looked a bit 'blotchy'...

Well, I wasn't going to mention it. 🙂 If you have trouble with small faces, try airbrushing (or brushing if necessary) just the basic midtone and painting all of the other tones with oils. They and the brushes must be very high quality, but it makes it much easier (and quicker) to achieve a smooth blend and surface (it avoids roughness from paint build-up). Lips and eyes can also be painted with oils if you like, which makes correction easier.

Edited by Ade H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nothing wrong with them. They look good to me, but tell the one wearing goggles to WAKE UP!!

John.

Cheers John, he does look a bit sleepy!

7 minutes ago, Ade H said:

Well, I wasn't going to mention it. 🙂 If you have trouble with small faces, try airbrushing (or brushing if necessary) just the basic midtone and painting all of the other tones with oils. They and the brushes must be very high quality, but it makes it much easier (and quicker) to achieve a smooth blend and surface (it avoids roughness from paint build-up). Lips and eyes can also be painted with oils if you like, which makes correction easier.

Thanks Ade, I'm happier with the new ones and used a little oil wash around the eyes. Cheers for the tip 👍

• Like 2

some lovely work here Nick, you've nailed the worn weathered driver and commanders area on the 432, that place was subjected to so much wind blown dirt, rain and changes in weather you've cracked it. The crew floor looks just like the real thing too. The kit doesn't provide the lift out cage fronts for stowage above the sponsons, where all the sleeping bags, back packs, ration boxs went. I scratched those using the top signals regiment only roof cage, as our Mortar hatches were constantly in use with Milan mounted Anti Tank action. This picture of my ride taken in 1981.

spacer.png 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

drivers view of the road to the left was blocked by the open hatch, the commander would stand tall on a road march for road safety, as the Germans loved to make claims, that the Army seldom challenged. These are pictures from my private collection and I do not give permission for others to use them elsewhere, I'm posting them here to asist Nick in any way I can.

spacer.png

The commander here is on his first shakeout drive, so he's standing tall, later on the heads low attitude was employed.

spacer.png 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, metadyne said:

These are pictures from my private collection and I do not give permission for others to use them elsewhere, I'm posting them here to asist Nick in any way I can.

If you don't want others using them, you can always attach them to a PM, and then it's only you and the recipient who get to see them. I've done that with photos that may have copyright.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

If you don't want others using them, you can always attach them to a PM, and then it's only you and the recipient who get to see them. I've done that with photos that may have copyright.

John.

good idea, it's always a question of how far to go, I want to show them but you know there are people out there that take advantage of people's helpfulness, I'll remember your Idea in future, cheers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, metadyne said:

I'm posting them here to asist Nick in any way I can.

spacer.png

The commander here is on his first shakeout drive, so he's standing tall, later on the heads low attitude was employed.

spacer.png 

Fantastic pictures, thanks very much. Am I right in thinking that the kit I've got stowed in the 432 should be behind a mesh cage? All of both side or would the NBC filter equipment be left exposed?

Cheers

Nick

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Fantastic pictures, thanks very much. Am I right in thinking that the kit I've got stowed in the 432 should be behind a mesh cage? All of both side or would the NBC filter equipment be left exposed?

Cheers

Nick

Yes, the stowage and filtration unit was behind 3 green, mesh screens per side which where lifted to gain access.

There were also longer, lower, single piece screens under each seat.

@metadyne would that be Soltau training area by chance?

Edit: I've probably missed it Nick but are you building the mk 1 or 2 as I can't see the engine cut out pedal on the left of the accelerator pedal in the drivers cab?

Edited by Swiftnbold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2021 at 8:46 PM, Swiftnbold said:

Yes, the stowage and filtration unit was behind 3 green, mesh screens per side which where lifted to gain access.

There were also longer, lower, single piece screens under each seat.

@metadyne would that be Soltau training area by chance?

Edit: I've probably missed it Nick but are you building the mk 1 or 2 as I can't see the engine cut out pedal on the left of the accelerator pedal in the drivers cab?

It’s got a small pedal to the left included in the kit but to be honest I don’t know which mark that makes it? Mesh ordered for the cages, thanks for the info.

cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Bit of of progress over the weekend as senior management (the wife) is away 😃

The crew have finally had their heads and comms cables installed;

51599590023_91ad5656f7_k.jpg

Kit loaded into the back of the 432 and the drivers area;

51600028864_fbf5a96c54_h.jpg

51600267680_042e641a3e_h.jpg

51600028809_125573bd95_k.jpg

51600028954_5acdf46284_b.jpg

Driver's had his cable for the radio fitted;

51599589978_2c6949113d_b.jpg

And he's finally taken a seat and been connected to the radio (hopefully in the right place)! His feet don't reach the pedals and in the next pic he looks a bit high so I'm assuming Taken have moulded the seat in the fully position (or he has short legs)? 

51599373886_7c0a9c457b_b.jpg

Test fit of the hatch over him, carefully observed by the commander;

51599374131_90bc8a0194_h.jpg

Now he's in I've fitted the glacis plate and a few bits of etch installed while I wait for the mesh for the cages in the back to be delivered;

51598546972_ded709be62_h.jpg

51599374071_fa2e4df6d0_h.jpg

Thanks for looking and the helpful tips and pics along the way.

Cheers

Nick

!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

you've done an amazing job on the crew and stowage, there was no right or wrong way to stow a FV432, nothing ever suggested as each vehicle was kitted out differently and there are so many variations of role, even within one Infantry Battalion, so yours is just fine. as I mentioned, with the hatches constantly open at the top rear (Mortar Hatches, even if it's not a mortar wagon) our driver would cover everything in the sponsons with a kip sheet to keep the dust of Soltau out, when I was with Rifles, we had a L37 Turret so dust wasn't an issue and the stowage was like your model. The driver had a SMG stowage clip right up front on the forward right of the driver. But I can't remember if it was on the forward slope glacis plate or the right upright armour of the side. I'll ask my driver on facebook, see if he remembers...

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
to add general view of AFV interior
  • Thanks 1

@metadyne drivers SMG was stowed in a clip on top of the battery box to his right.

On 16/10/2021 at 23:17, Nick C said:

It’s got a small pedal to the left included in the kit but to be honest I don’t know which mark that makes it? Mesh ordered for the cages, thanks for the info.

cheers

Nick

That's the engine cut pedal on the Mk2 for a runaway engine if the governor is defective or not topped up (a chargeable offence), it wasn't very reliable, even the REME guys said it was better to discharge one of the BCF extinguishers into the air intakes if it happened.I

For stowage, we tended to put personal gear such as bergans, sleeping bags etc in the cages, tools went under the seats and Jerry cans and oils in the external bins on the rear, rations went in a metal ammo box against the applique kit in our MILAN vehicles and under the seats in L37 equipped vehicles because they had more guys so less room. The jump start lead would be roved between the smoke dischargers to give more room inside. Those mirrors are different to the type we had, ours were the standard oblong, lorry type and I don't recall them being attached to the light guards? 

you've got the radio exactly right and the driver sat about shoulder height when on the move.

Outstanding job by the way.

Edited by Swiftnbold
  • Like 2

Oh yeah, don't forget the driver needs a harness.

Braking was by pulling back hard on both levers at the same time so the driver needed to brace against the harness to keep it braking straight and prevent him pulling himself out of the seat.

Is there a gear selector in the kit?

Edited by Swiftnbold
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

Oh yeah, don't forget the driver needs a harness.

Braking was by pulling back hard on both levers at the same time so the driver needed to brace against the harness to keep it braking straight and prevent him pulling himself out of the seat.

Is there a gear selector in the kit?

This pic shows the gear selector pedal;

51220102278_4519b46940_h.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the harness, didn't know that. Pic on the internet looks like 6 point in black webbing, does that sound right?

13 hours ago, metadyne said:

you've done an amazing job on the crew and stowage, there was no right or wrong way to stow a FV432, nothing ever suggested as each vehicle was kitted out differently and there are so many variations of role, even within one Infantry Battalion, so yours is just fine. as I mentioned, with the hatches constantly open at the top rear (Mortar Hatches, even if it's not a mortar wagon) our driver would cover everything in the sponsons with a kip sheet to keep the dust of Soltau out, when I was with Rifles, we had a L37 Turret so dust wasn't an issue and the stowage was like your model. The driver had a SMG stowage clip right up front on the forward right of the driver. But I can't remember if it was on the forward slope glacis plate or the right upright armour of the side. I'll ask my driver on facebook, see if he remembers...

spacer.png

Cheers mate. Cages will be installed when the bits arrive. SOme body else mentioned an SMG bracket but I couldn't find any references for it so strategicaly placed it - hope it doesn't look too out of place!

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really nice 432, this coming together now!

To me the driver looks about the right height for driving on the road

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 4

Spoke to the Veteran drivers and they all remember the clips being exactly where you have got his SMG laying, on the battery box lid.

Edited by metadyne
to add text
  • Like 2

Looks rather good Nick, suitably busy in the rear compartment. 
Just one tiny pointer, the drivers headset plugged directly into a CB2 (Crew Box 2) box which was located next to the drivers master switch on the underside of the roof rhs. No need for a pressel box and curly lead. 

The commanders headset plugged into a CPU (Commanders Personal Unit ) which is triangular unit that had a strap and was placed around his neck. This had the large curly lead which in turn plugged into the CBFD  ( commanders box fixed digital). From the CPU you could monitor 2 radio nets and switch between them to transmit. Both the drivers headset fittings and the CPU were quick release fittings so if you had to bail out it wouldn’t strangle you ! 

• Like 2