Looking for Australian roundel decals

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone...

Anyone make generic sheets of Australian roundels ? Looking for both WW2 and 1970’s high viz Kangaroo type in 1/72 ? Im always interested in doing WW2 Australian subjects, and need the minimum needed to do an RAAF F-4E Phantom in 1/72 (4-6 ?)? Ive been looking for a couple of days but both Aussie and Nova scale sets are OOP and cannot be had for anything ? ANY HELP is Appreciated ? I think I found a generic Xtradecal sheet #72260 for 70’s roundels. But still looking for WW2 RAAF ? 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I was thinking Red Roo Models, Ronin Graphics Australia and Tasman (NZ)  although these tend to be subject specific and some very nice subjects indeed. First port of call should be Red Roo's @Ed Russell. I am certain he can point you in the right direction. 

Also here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/409-red-roo-models/

Sorry I am not much help as I have a bunch of decals for serial and squadron codes and paint the WW2 roundels. Easier to do as I am in 1/48.

Ray

• Thanks 1

I have a few 72 scale RAAF roundels & tail flashes left over from previous builds, both in the dark blue/white style and dark blue/light blue.

Origins: RS Models P-40, Airfix Kittyhawk, Revell (Thunderbolt?), Eagle Cal Moasquito

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I have a few 72 scale RAAF roundels & tail flashes left over from previous builds, both in the dark blue/white style and dark blue/light blue.

Origins: RS Models P-40, Airfix Kittyhawk, Revell (Thunderbolt?), Eagle Cal Moasquito

Hello Roman.. Im always looking for spares, I have 40+ years if 1/48 stockpiled but only switched over to 1/72 a couple of tears ago. If you have any interest in parting with them please D/M me and we can work out the particulars. 

Dennis

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The second are SEAC roundels, not RAAF. If you ( @Corsairfoxfouruncle ) PM me the sizes of WW2 ones you need I am sure we can help.

The generic modern ones you have ordered look fine.

I was originally hoping to find a generic sheet with multiple sizes for current (P-40) and future builds. I also build SEAC so those decals definitely wont go to waste. Id love to do the single Hurricane Mk.I Trop. that was sent to Australia for testing. And eventually get into other types Wirraway, Boomerang, Beaufighter, B-25, A-20, P-38, & P-39 also come to mind. Thats why the hope for a sheet of Various sizes. Maybe something for a manufacturer to think of in the future. Of course this would need a companion sheet of fin flashes to go along with it. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

@CorsairfoxfouruncleThe best Hurricane kit - the Arma Hobby one - has a boxing with the RAAF's only local Hurricane so that's easy!

There were some standard roundel sizes but many were specific to one type of aircraft. We have looked a few times about doing  generic sheets but we think there is not sufficient demand for a product that, if we were to do it properly may have 100+ roundels on it and be inordinately expensive. Each size of roundel has various sizes of inner white diameter. And then there is the fin flash variety.  Similarly, many RAAF aircraft carried code letters and a set of roundels is not going to be much use without them.  They are more complicated than roundels and came in many permutations of size and shape in MSG, White, RAAF Sky Blue and Black. A comprehensive 1/72 sheet might have many hundreds of letters!

However there is a solution...... we (and many other knowledgeable enthusiasts) have worked with a company called DK Decals to produce a great range of RAAF specific decals. Every aircraft you have mentioned except the P-39 is covered. (A-20s are on the way) The P-39 can be found in our own range of decals. (https://www.redroomodels.com/product/red-roo-raaf-p-39-airacobras-1-72/)

There's a comprehensive listing of the DK range here and a link to their web site.

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11261

Some are out of stock but reprint runs do happen.

@Roman Schilhart No problem - it is a bit confusing because the earliest SEAC roundels were blue and white, then switched to dark and light blue. Another cause of confusion is BPF blue and white roundels! I have seen several examples of your excellent work and I would like to see you do some RAAF planes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1