Procon Boy needle guard question.

Michael Morris

I'm looking to upgrade my airbrush set up so that I can have a trigger stop to help counter my tendency to accidentally pull back the trigger a bit too hard and flood the surface of my models with paint.

My present H&S Ultra doesn't have this feature.  The options I'm looking at are a Procon boy FWA ps 270 platinum or a H&S infinity CR plus.  I've great thinks about both of these and would prefer to go for the cheaper Procon Boy option.  However, I've fitted a 'fineline' needle guard to my Ultra and do love how easy it makes it to keep the tip clean.  

Does anyone know if there is a similar two pronged needle guard available for the Procon boy?

Thanks

I would go with the Infinity simply for the parts swapabillity (not sure if that's a word) with the Ultra. Needle, nozzle and front end will fit both so in a pinch when you've bent a needle or cracked a nozzle you can just grab one from the other brush.

If the Infinity is a bit out of the budget you can always consider getting an Evolution with the quick fix back end.

I’ve got two Infinities, and the needle stop is great. I’d still recommend the Procon Boy over the Infinity though, as it stays new-feeling much longer, whereas the Infinity starts to feel a bit worn after a while, even with new parts. The spares are cheap for the Gunze too, and readily available from air-craft. 

I just love the Procon brushes to bits. :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve got two Infinities, and the needle stop is great. I’d still recommend the Procon Boy over the Infinity though, as it stays new-feeling much longer, whereas the Infinity starts to feel a bit worn after a while, even with new parts. The spares are cheap for the Gunze too, and readily available from air-craft. 

I just love the Procon brushes to bits. :) 

Thanks, but are there two pronged needle guards available for the Procon boy?

2 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

Thanks, but are there two pronged needle guards available for the Procon boy?

I think it’s a 4-pronged crown for the Gunze brushes. I’ve not seen the 2-prong for them, but they may be available? I prefer the proper crowns now though, as they provide more protection, and you can back flush with a cap without getting a mucky hand. If I need to spray Uber-fine lines, I’ll unscrew the crown while I’m spraying, and put it back on immediately when I’m done. 

On 12/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, Michael Morris said:

I'm looking to upgrade my airbrush set up so that I can have a trigger stop to help counter my tendency to accidentally pull back the trigger a bit too hard and flood the surface of my models with paint.

My present H&S Ultra doesn't have this feature.  The options I'm looking at are a Procon boy FWA ps 270 platinum or a H&S infinity CR plus.  I've great thinks about both of these and would prefer to go for the cheaper Procon Boy option.  However, I've fitted a 'fineline' needle guard to my Ultra and do love how easy it makes it to keep the tip clean.  

Does anyone know if there is a similar two pronged needle guard available for the Procon boy?

Thanks

ok this might sound stupid but have you thought about changing your grip to avoid pulling back the trigger too much?

Do you support the brush with your off hand and use your dominant hand just for aiming and rolling the trigger?

I had a problem with on/off instead of fine control too.  You could solve the issue by changing your grip perhaps?

I used to have my trigger finger be relatively straight and try to pull back the trigger which resulted in poor control.

I changed my grip, I moved my hand up a bit and curled my finger into a "hook" and sort of rolled my finger and it pivoted the trigger and that helped. 

• Like 1