Heller Caudron C-635 Simoun - Finished

AdrianMF

I hope you all had a super Christmas! 

I got one of these because I saw it in the Heller GB and it seems like an excellent little kit. There are two or three builds going on in the Heller GB at the moment so I will build it here instead to avoid repetition. This is a modern starter kit re-issue containing paint and decals for a rather fetching blue “Air Bleu” scheme. The alternative scheme is yellow with red stripes, so I’m sure I’ve made the right decision!

I’ve opened the box and cut some parts off the sprues to have a look at the fit but it’s otherwise unstarted:

EEC80111-652-D-45-B7-A14-E-6-EF6-EE56-C1
Note the absence of a timepiece! Haven’t started yet, need to check with the management on when.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice of kit Adrian.

Single-colour scheme!!

Well, I’ve stuck the canopy halves together, smoothed out the ejector pin marks in the fuselage interior, cleaned up and assembled the rather nice cockpit bits and tested that I can glaze the windows with glue’n’glaze after painting:

01022-C33-2-E35-4620-BD79-EE668-CC3-F13-
It’s now nearly six and we are about to have a distributed family zoom call, fortified by a small Sherry in my case...

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I managed to recover my "lost" side windows

That’s a fiddly job! I’m going to stretch a thin soap-bubble-like film of Glue’n’Glaze (fancy PVA glue like ClearFix) across the window after painting. The little white rectangle with the hold in at the bottom of my pic is my test that I can  make a film that big. It isn’t as distorted as the windows in the kit and you can add it after painting.

Family call over, resuming at 19:18, time to paint that cockpit. The colour call outs have red walls and seats - reminds me of my old Peugeot 205 GTI, far too bright!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The colour call outs have red walls and seats - reminds me of my old Peugeot 205 GTI, far too bright!

I went for Humbrol Wine, 🍷 after all it is the season to be jolly ! 🥳

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I went for Humbrol Wine

All my wine is spoken for... :)

Windscreen and wing halves are stuck together, interior is assembled and painted, instrument panel is painted and dry brushed, and some interior parts have been painted black:

A194-CD8-D-BD60-4-B7-B-84-B6-490-CAF9226

So, two and a bit hours in. I will try to get the fuselage halves together tonight.

• Like 2

Resuming:

B8-EE67-EB-88-A4-4-FBB-AD81-85-F3-F1-A13

Every year we resolve to buy a smaller turkey the next year. This year it said “feeds 9-10” which I suppose would be true if you had a house full of Sumo wrestlers and linebackers. Two seconds after this picture was taken the open sandwich became an aerial salad. Luckily I have a carpet protector under the chair so my breakfast is now reconstructed with added plastic dust and fluff.

Time to sand and fill all the joins and get the canopy on. I will cut a slot in the wheels so I can push them into the spats after painting. Hopefully the modelling will go better than the eating!

Just tried a bit of Baltic Blue 52 and it's going to be.... interesting...

[EDIT] I also just looked on the net and saw that this exact plane has a colour that more closely matches Hu25. So I will just do another coat of that. Result!

• Like 1

Blimey! Where did the time go? Anyhow, done(ish):

C8099-AB1-D788-43-C6-BDD5-6-D042-A965-D0

Can’t claim superhero props on this one because it will need some touch ups when the decals are a bit firmer. But comfortably inside two twelve hour windows.

Time for a relaxing cuppa and some more Christmas leftovers...

[edit] six hours thirty-five minutes so far

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

taken so long to make a YELLOW one

I learned in the Trainers GB that any more yellow than propeller tips magically extends build time by an infinite amount!

Had an hour off. In this session, I’ve done some touch up, added a front cylinder to the engine and the matt varnish is on except for the wing I’m using to hold it. And like laws, trade deals and sausages, the making of glue film windows is not fit for spectators:

3669691-D-95-B0-41-BD-BAB4-CC30-DCE686-C

• Like 2

• AdrianMF changed the title to Heller Caudron C-635 Simoun - Finished