1/72nd Airfix Blenheim Mk.If, 604 (County of Middlesex) Sqn, RAF Middle Wallop, Battle of Britain, Summer 1940

Hiya Folks,

My last Battle of Britain model of the year,...... a friend had a relative who flew with 604 Sqn on Blenheim`s at RAF Northolt and Middle Wallop so I said that I would make a model in his honour,.... so chose to depict L8740, NG-Q as seen at the height of the Battle of Britain, based at RAF Middle Wallop,... after the undersides had been repainted using Sky to cover the previous half black and white scheme. The model was brush painted and the decals came from the kit with codes from Modeldecal and serials from Ventura generic sets. I have a photo in my collection of a Blenheim Mk.If at Catterick at the same time and it had roundels under the wings,...... with traces of another set having been painted out at the wing tips,...... so I added similar roundels to this model too. Also,.... the painted out serial on the rudder from pre war days was represented too,.... although the final varnish coat has left it a bit more subtle than I originally intended!;

DSCF9394-NEW.jpg

DSCF9396-NEW.jpg

DSCF9397-NEW.jpg

DSCF9399-NEW.jpg

DSCF9400-NEW.jpg

DSCF9402-NEW.jpg

DSCF9403-NEW.jpg

DSCF9406-NEW.jpg

DSCF9410-NEW.jpg

DSCF9411-NEW.jpg

DSCF9412-NEW.jpg

DSCF9407-NEW.jpg

DSCF9408-NEW.jpg

DSCF9409-NEW.jpg

I hope that you all had a good Christmas,..... I definitely did!

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 65
  • Thanks 2

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Airfix Blenheim Mk.If, 604 (County of Middlesex) Sqn, RAF Middle Wallop, Battle of Britain, Summer 1940

It is great to see another one of your masterpieces, Tony. I also like that you choose to compile the individual code letters again in order to pay tribute to the rank-and-file pilots of 604 Squadron who flew the all too often forgotten Blenheims in the Battle of Britain. 👍   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Another Cracker, Tony !

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas in spite of the circumstances

Well Done, Sir !

Thanks mate,.... hope you had a great time too,..... hope you had a white Christmas over there? I`ve been watching Michael Portillo do his railway journeys on telly around your neck of the woods and it looks beautiful,.... I definitely need to take a closer look,.... I can see why you like the posting now! Merry Christmas. 

1 hour ago, 112 Squadron said:

It is great to see another one of your masterpieces, Tony. I also like that you choose to compile the individual code letters again in order to pay tribute to the rank-and-file pilots of 604 Squadron who flew the all too often forgotten Blenheims in the Battle of Britain. 👍   

Thank mate,..... yeah I like to represent the little people! 

1 hour ago, Kentavros76 said:

Nicely modeled. Thank you for sharing with us!😃

Thank you and no problem,..... thanks for commenting. 

55 minutes ago, swralph said:

Lovely build and painting Tony.😀

Thanks mate,.... very kind of you,.... again!  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tony: really nice!  This Blenheim looks the part: "tough and bitty."  I understand that they performed rather poorly during the BOB, unfortunately.

Thanks mate,.. they did OK as long range fighters and in the embryonic night role,..... introducing radar etc,.....  but yeah they were too slow and only had six .303in machine guns.

• Like 1

Lovely build Tony and lovely tribute too fella.  Great work. 

Hope you're having a good day  and are not fit to pop today.  We felt similar after the boxing day dinner but a lovely walk along the beach before Storm Bella arrived sorted us out today.  

Cracking Blenheim fella

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

I hope that you all had a good Christmas,..... I definitely did!

Yes, ours was too, lovely sunny day here, all the family together, they're at the age where that may not last much longer & enough nice food & drink to be left in a comfortably mellow condition. :) 

That is a really nice Blenheim Tony, super job on it. They make up to a nice model. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely build Tony and lovely tribute too fella.  Great work. 

Hope you're having a good day  and are not fit to pop today.  We felt similar after the boxing day dinner but a lovely walk along the beach before Storm Bella arrived sorted us out today.  

Cracking Blenheim fella

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... sounds wonderful mate,.... I`d love to live by the sea. Nice traditional Boxing Day,... turkey toasties for dinner,..... turkey curry for tea!! The storm has just hit us up here on the Pennines.

29 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Another good model Tony- the sit looks just right- just how many kits have you done this year? it seems like 20 or more.  Best wishes to all Britmodellers suffering under Covid and a better 2021

Thanks Colin,..... I`ve not counted mate,..... but might start compiling a yearbook,....... probably well over 20? Yeah best wishes to you pal.

20 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Yes, ours was too, lovely sunny day here, all the family together, they're at the age where that may not last much longer & enough nice food & drink to be left in a comfortably mellow condition. :) 

That is a really nice Blenheim Tony, super job on it. They make up to a nice model. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,..... sounds idyllic mate,.... one to treasure. Hopefully those decals will be with you soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

How does the cockpit area fit on this kit I have heard it is a bit awkward?  

Andrew.  

It can be a bit awkward Andrew,.... but yes it does fit. Does mine look so bad? 

6 hours ago, SimonL said:

Lovely job. Glad to hear you had a good Christmas - very relaxing here in Western Australia (although a bit warm - it hit 40 Celsius during the day).

Thanks Simon,......... glad you had a nice day mate,....... we had a nice crisp, sunny winters day,..... so cannot complain. ..... we even had a sprinkling of festive snow in the afternoon. 40 is a bit warm for me unless I`m by  a pool or the sea! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Very nice indeed! A small alternations or differences among variants of regular TLS makes it no dull any longer, thanks for sharing :)

Have a happy New Year!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Great finish of a wonderful airplane. Well done Tony...

Serkan

Thanks Serkan,..... glad you like it,.... the Blenheim was a true warhorse!

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice indeed! A small alternations or differences among variants of regular TLS makes it no dull any longer, thanks for sharing :)

Have a happy New Year!

Regards

J-W

Thanks J-W,.... yeah the addition of Sky and yellow to the roundels really makes these Battle of Britain era Blenheims leap out at you!

Happy New Year to you too mate,

Cheers

Tony

46 minutes ago, djos said:

Excellent Blenheim

regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje,.... very kind of you mate.

10 minutes ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another stunner from your production line Tony loving the subtle weathering on a unsung plane from the BoB 

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Cheers Eamonn,.... glad you like it mate,..... yeah unsung and hard worked,..... and very dangerous for the crews!!

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 2

Just caught up with this one as well, Tony. I'd also heard there could be fit problems with the cockpit area, but as usual you've performed your magic and created a masterpiece. Splendid!

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas, here's to a better New Year!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Just caught up with this one as well, Tony. I'd also heard there could be fit problems with the cockpit area, but as usual you've performed your magic and created a masterpiece. Splendid!

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas, here's to a better New Year!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,..... I can see where there might be fit problems and must admit to cracking the glazing of my first Airfix Blenheim, but that was more hamfistedness on my part I suppose. One one of them I even put sprue spacers inside to push the clear parts outwards,.... but not on this one.  

Happy New Year mate

Tony

• Like 1