Blu tack camo line edging

foxhandybread

Hi all and Merry Christmas :)

I'm having a weird issue with blu tack camo lines. I applied the camo with thin blu tack sausages and filled the middle with copydex, then sprayed. After leaving it for a few days I removed the lot and there is a slightly different shade to the areas that were masked with blu tack than the copydex, resulting in an 'edging' to the camo which while subtle is really noticeable to me! As you can see here:

p?i=0e79cdb9db66fa2cbfcf3026069a8421

p?i=907483577f3c7d5be246bea926db4e25

I can't tell whether it's residue from the blu tack or whether the paint actually came through the copydex somehow? I've scrubbed the whole thing down with soap and the effect didn't change at all.

If anyone has any insight into this particular issue I'd be very grateful!

Merry Christmas to you too. 

I had similar issues with Blu Tack on matt paints, but not so much with Xtracolour gloss paints. I've always tried to remove it as soon as possible after painting. However, over the last couple of years I've begun using White Tack instead with no issues of oily residue. 

Ok this makes sense. Follow up question: If it is just residue from the blu tack, shouldn't it be possible to clean it off? My attempts to do so so far have not made any difference to the colour shift. Will I have to re-paint? will be a pain to do the cam masking again!

I’ve occasionally had this issue, and assuming you’ve cleaned up the blutack by dabbing it with blutack ( I hope you know what I mean), I think the slight colour change is something to do with the copydex.  Anyway, a subsequent coat of Klear or similar gloss coat has always resolved it for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has come at a perfect time for me! I've just put the 1st coat of tan on the upper surface of an F105 & was wondering about the best way to mask ready for the light green, then the dark. 

Off for some white tack tomorrow!