DH Dove/Heron Canopy Variations

wellsprop

Hi all,

I've been mulling over CAD modelling and 3D printing the DH Dove/Devon, but I'm a bit stuck on understanding the variations regarding the canopy.

Some have this "blown" canopy with a distinctive teardrop fairing, the lower line of the aft windscreen window is flat and the upper line bulges upwards.

http://goactionstations.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/deHavillandDovePage.jpg

Others have this canopy, with less bulge above (except for the fairing - possibly for the ADF?), the lower line of the aft windscreen window is angled and the upper line is flat.

Transportes_Aereos_De_Timor_De_Havilland

Please can someone educate me about the differences/variants?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben

The lower line canopy is the original Dove canopy.

The higher line canopy is a later modification fitted to some Dove/Devons giving increased headroom in the cockpit. The canopy design is actually from the 4 engined Dove development, the Heron, which had a deeper fuselage aft of the cockpit. The Heron canopy therefore looks streamlined on the Heron, but more like a bubble canopy when fitted to the Dove/Devon (note the fairing behind the cockpit bulkhead to the fuselage top on the linked photo, the Heron roofline comes up to the top of this fairing)

• Like 1

Both canopies were production standard, the Heron canopy was introduced on the Mk7 & 8, some Devon C2's had them as well.

Aeroplane Monthly Sept 2019 has a database feature on the Dove/Devon

Don't forget the asymetric elevators on later production Doves/Devons (Port side 14" shorter in span with a squared off tip)