Farman NC 223.3 BN5, Vichy AF summer 1941, Azur 1/72

JWM

Hi

Within MTO GB I finished second large French species: the long range heavy bomber Farman NC 223.3 BN5. The WIP is here:

Only eight of them (I mean this particular variant) were constructed, the model is of machine No 4.  More on history here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farman_F.220 or here http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_farman_NC223.html . It could be mentioned, that it was a bomber variant, the mail transport variant NC 223.4 (build only 3 of them) was used for... first French bombing of Berlin in 1940! ( https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2018/07/05/jules-verne-to-berlin/ ).

Here is model:

50762024942_73d106a5cf_b.jpg

50761185123_984bc61275_b.jpg

50761912711_4590101549_b.jpg

50761912886_a2aeae26e6_b.jpg

50762025742_83bc7aa8e0_b.jpg

50761913166_0355370c91_b.jpg

50761185948_d9f4d2dc09_b.jpg

50762026132_d2e7a94664_b.jpg

And a bottom side:

50762033617_bc03dbcd59_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards, all the best for New Yaer and Merry Christmas!

Jerzy-Wojtek

# 24 this year! :)

• Like 15

Fantastic build! French aircraft of this period certainly have something about them. There's good aeronautical design, bad aeronautical design and there's French aeronautical design which somehow managed to merge them all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Wow Jerzy that's a colourful beast really nice and a you don't see too many of them build well done 

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Thank you! Yeeh - it looks like they could not decide - to camouflage or not to do so, that was a question! :)  On the other hand - the fast identification alwas add colours to dull military liveries...

10 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build Jerzy.😀

Thanks a lot!

5 hours ago, S. Uehlinger said:

That is Fantastic!   I am also a big Fan of French Aircraft... I love what you have done with this!

Thank you. French machines are a bit forgotten and therefore really interesting in some way. However, to be frank - in fact I am not a big fan of particular French machines,, not more then other from that era. I am doing a kind of a life time project of modelling all WW2 machines (and SCW, in fact 1935-45) excluding the not used prototypes - this year I decided to reduce significantly a stash of French machines, in previous year I was doing US flying boats mostly.  At the beginning of this year I had 25 of French subjects in stash, ten of them I did in this year and perhaps next 10 I will do in 2021... I want to do similar reduction for next countries in next years, I hope to be able... Perhaps first will be mix of Russian and Italian.

4 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Jerzy

This is very nice and I know these kits as I built the 223.4 Jules Vernes many years ago.

Patrick

Hi Patrick.

It is always nice to read your comment. When those Farmans appeared in 2005 I've noticed them in a model shop and have to decide which one to buy, since they were too costly to buy more than one - so I decided to buy a bomber (223.3) which was used as transport machine instead of buying transport machine (223.4), which was used in spectacular bombing mission :). But I did not know the story on raid over Berlin those days back in 2005...  I am sure your Jules Verne is splendid! Was it on RFI?

1 hour ago, Bangor Lad said:

Fantastic build! French aircraft of this period certainly have something about them. There's good aeronautical design, bad aeronautical design and there's French aeronautical design which somehow managed to merge them all.

Tank you! Each country and  even each constructor has own style in that time. This was also a bit limited by available technologies, for example an American machines had bigger and more smooth canopies since they had good technique for for fabrication of organic glass large curved surfaces...

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JWM said:

Hi Patrick.

It is always nice to read your comment. When those Farmans appeared in 2005 I've noticed them in a model shop and have to decide which one to buy, since they were too costly to buy more than one - so I decided to buy a bomber (223.3) which was used as transport machine instead of buying transport machine (223.4), which was used in spectacular bombing mission :). But I did not know the story on raid over Berlin those days back in 2005...  I am sure your Jules Verne is splendid! Was it on RFI?

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hello Jerzy.

She used to be on RFI but in 2011 my account hera had troubles and everything since 2005 had disappeared.

I am still having every pictures as she was published in Scale Aviation Modeller International in 2006 but I sold the kit to J. Fernandez.

Here is just one picture when I compared the Farman 223.4 with an Avro Lancaster.

Patrick

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

Hello Jerzy.

She used to be on RFI but in 2011 my account hera had troubles and everything since 2005 had disappeared.

I am still having every pictures as she was published in Scale Aviation Modeller International in 2006 but I sold the kit to J. Fernandez.

Here is just one picture when I compared the Farman 223.4 with an Avro Lancaster.

Patrick

spacer.png

Hi Patrick,

That is great on all meanings of that word model!  And has interesting history.

I am on BM since 2014, and before it for some half a year I was lurking only, so I did not seen it before.

Regards and have a happy New Year

Jerzy-Wojtek

I love the size comparison with the Halifax!    If you are going to do some building next year - I request you do the Italians in the Stash!   I look forward to seeing Those Results!   Inspiration for me as I have done a bunch of single engine fighters but have a few multiengine Italians in The Stash.....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, S. Uehlinger said:

I love the size comparison with the Halifax!  

you mean - the Lancaster :).  Does not matter, similar size of both them.

The Italians from stash are calling and waving at me :)

Regards

J-W