CF-188 Hornet - NORAD 60th anniversary

zebra

Here's my Kinetic 1/48 Hornet in a special scheme commemorating the 60th anniversary of NORAD (as seen at RIAT in 2018) using decals from Leading Edge. Built for the Interceptors Group Build - build thread is here.

This is my first Hornet since I built the Airfix kit when it was new in 1982. I'm very impressed with the Kinetic kit, it's much better than the older Kinetic kits I've built. The Leading Edge decals were great - it's a very comprehensive set, including masks for the canopy and the white bits of the colour scheme, with separate masks for the Kinetic and Hasegawa kits where necessary, a lot of decals, and very comprehensive instructions including a sheet of walk around photos. Highly recommended!

Paints used were Model Master acrylic (no. 4660 is recommended as an exact match in the instructions) for the blue, Scale Modellers Supply white and clear coats, AK Real Colour grey, and AK Extreme Metal for the metallics.

Rather pleased with this one, nice way to round out the year.

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

CF-188 Hornet

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Merry Christmas,

this color sceme looks amazing! Surly not easy to paint ? But you made a perfect job !

never saw this before.

Cheers

Andy 

Thanks Andy

Actually it was pretty easy to paint. The decals included masks for the white bits so I just had to paint the grey and the blue, apply the masks (and there were really good guides to get them in the right place), and paint the white. The red stripes are decals so they covered up some imperfections (not that there were many - the masks worked really well) as well.

Merry Christmas to you too!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Time for a thread resurrection! What a great scheme! The Canadians have some of the best display and anniversary schemes going, and you've done a great job with this one. Very nicely done.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Looks a beauty!    I love the LEM Decals and have a fair few in my stash unused ...yet but one of them is for this same subject but to 1/72nd. Too scared to try them.

• Thanks 1

I was surprised to see this thread resurrected the other day! Thanks everyone for your kind comments

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Too scared to try them

Give them a go! If the set includes masks like the 1/48 set does you'll be fine - the masks worked a treat and made this complex-looking scheme pretty easy to achieve. Probably easier in 1/72 since some of the big decals will be smaller and easier to handle.

• Like 2