AEG G.IV

This is fantastic!  I am really interested in the paint job and how you did it, if these were masks from the kit or self made or free hand?  In any case it looks impressive.  I have a 1/48 kit of this aircraft and would like to take a crack at this scheme.

5 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

This is fantastic!  I am really interested in the paint job and how you did it, if these were masks from the kit or self made or free hand?  In any case it looks impressive.  I have a 1/48 kit of this aircraft and would like to take a crack at this scheme.

Hi,

the camo is free hand. Wasn’t too hard to do really and the references I saw seem to indicate “soft” demarcation between the colours. The ribs are pre-shaded, you can still see a little remaining here and there. The colours are Tamiya acrylics, slightly altered to what WNW suggests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Merry Christmas,

holy moly! That’s more than impressive! A wonderful model. How did you paint the prop? It looks more than realistic!

wonderful!

Cheers 

Andy

Hi Andy, started with desert yellow from Tamiya. Then masked the prop and sprayed on a darker brown. After that I used oils to blend it all and then finished it with a gloss varnish. The masking was a bit of a pain, but past that, it was all simple really. 

• Thanks 2

This has to be one of the nicest builds I have seen this year, simply stunning. I could look at those photos all day. My first WnW build has stalled as I just can't get the propellor to look the way I want it to (like yours) so thanks for the tip.

Duncan B

9 hours ago, Lightpainter said:

Really well done! I have many WNW kits but have not started on one yet. Even have two of this AEG G.IV in the late version. How long did it take you to build it? 

I started early in the year, maybe about 100 hours or so? I never really keep count of time and never set myself targets. 

since you’ve got some to do, here area couple of things.

The horizontal tail stabilisers clicked in nicely, but under an angle, bit of sanding required there. Seen several others with that problem. Not hard to fix, but not good if you don’t notice in time.

I had a bit of problem with the outer struts of the middle top wing part. They appeared slightly too short. Not sure what went wrong there. I am pretty sure the struts over the cockpit are in deep enough. Just be aware of it. Again no big deal.

enjoy the build of your’s