Cessna T-50 civil , KP 1/72nd

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

Now, about the "subject matter"...ts ts! 😁. When are we going to be treated with a civil build by you? 😉

Well, that’s a good question.  I accept the implied challenge and will find story that intrigues me, a kit that will illustrate it and complete a civil build in 2021. :)

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

p.s. I have heard the KP landing gear are too long, as if the gear aren’t under load (i.e., the scissors are extended).  You may want to check on that.

Hi Bill, I just checked comparing the assembly with photos, and it seems that the legs need shortening by about 2mm. I think I will remove/relocate the bar at the top of the leg that locks into the wing grove.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Cheers

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Moa said:

that is a source of delight

Hilarious!  Czech is an extremely difficult language, and (according to an acquaintance that speaks the language) up to 25 percent of the Czech people themselves have difficulty with proper pronunciation.  I can partly comprehend it only when it's spoken by non-native speakers, because then it more closely resembles Polish (another Western Slavic language).  I cannot properly guide you on how to pronounce "Kovozávody Prostějov," but would advise that however you do it, say it at least ten times--fast.

I am really liking this project!  It's a really unusual plane, and I'm happy to see you do a subject from the 40's and 50's.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I am in to follow this too.I was looking same kit before Christmas.

It's a nice kit, with good detail, and only needs some love and a bit of patience to overcame the limitations of the short run nature of the molds, something any modeler with a bit of experience will be able to do. I have a general good impression and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, with the caveat that it won't be a shake and bake build, but most kits aren't either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I understand your choice of the injected kit over the old vac form, given how many of those you go through...

It's a lovely looking machine!

Thanks Jörgen, let's hope that this is a relatively relaxed build!

I was so proud after assembling my wife's bicycle without a hitch, but then she asked me if it was as complicated as assembling the car you are building! I almost cried with my pride shattered!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will tag along Moa, interesting machine looking forward to watching it develop into a Moa masterpiece too.  Great start fella, loving the exercise bike too very swish. 

Chris

Thanks Chris

Just aiming to a relaxing Holidays build... 😁

Mrs Moa gym bike is a thing of wonder! And after assembling it only two bolts mysteriously remained! 😆 I told her that our kits also have surplus parts! Instructions, who needs them? 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Hilarious!  Czech is an extremely difficult language, and (according to an acquaintance that speaks the language) up to 25 percent of the Czech people themselves have difficulty with proper pronunciation.  I can partly comprehend it only when it's spoken by non-native speakers, because then it more closely resembles Polish (another Western Slavic language).  I cannot properly guide you on how to pronounce "Kovozávody Prostějov," but would advise that however you do it, say it at least ten times--fast.

I am really liking this project!  It's a really unusual plane, and I'm happy to see you do a subject from the 40's and 50's.

My modeling foray into more contemporary subjects is causing some brow raising! 😁 Before the apocalypse Mrs Moa and yours truly we were studying trying to study a bit of Japanese. Once we master it, in the next two or three millennia, we may try Gaelic or Welsh!

• Like 2

The instructions tell you to glue the side windows from inside. Checking the area I discovered a mold flaw that filled the edge of one of the windows:

IMG_3174+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The offending bead is removed with a small rotary burr:

IMG_3175+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I make my own lights, so their position is drilled and a couple prepared for later addition:

IMG_3176+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Some parts readied for priming and a bit of paint:

IMG_3178+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The cowls are thinned down, especially at their trailing edges for a more realistic look:

IMG_3179+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Thanks Chris

Just aiming to a relaxing Holidays build... 😁

Mrs Moa gym bike is a thing of wonder! And after assembly it only two bolts were left unused! 😆 I told her that our kits also have surplus parts! Instructions, who needs them? 🤪

It's good that they put spares in, I only get concerned when putting my engine back together and finding some parts left over😬

Great progress on the model.

Chris

• Like 3

At first I was going to say something about strange misalignment of the stars when you make a modern, well fitting kit..but then it looks like KP have thrown in some curve balls! 

Could it be that they just don't try as hard when they tool a civilian? Or could it be they know civil aficionados are used to hard work and need a few interesting bits to stop them falling asleep at the bench..? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

At first I was going to say something about strange misalignment of the stars when you make a modern, well fitting kit..but then it looks like KP have thrown in some curve balls! 

Could it be that they just don't try as hard when they tool a civilian? Or could it be they know civil aficionados are used to hard work and need a few interesting bits to stop them falling asleep at the bench..? 

😁

Nah, it's an alright kit, I am just a nagging imp. In fact, compared to similar offerings from alike manufacturers, I rate this quite fairly.

Regarding the tool, they did issue a lot of military versions, and in fact the interior color calls for some of the civil decals they provide is inaccurate, serving only the previous military releases. 

Manufacturers releasing pure civil model are far and between (KP did), standing ovation for them! (but also a cheer to those who provide at least some civil versions).

But it is true that manufacturers pretend to make mistakes to keep us on our toes! (:angry:)

10 minutes ago, chrispisme said:

coming along nicely already!

By the way that vac. kit isn't ugly...not even close...that kit is looking at ugly in the rear view mirror, ugly is a long ways behind it!

This looks like a great kit! I may have to hunt one down. Someday.

Thanks Chris!

;)

• Like 1

Those "half engines" are more accurate than you would think. Most — possibly all — radial aircraft engines are fitted with baffles between the cylinders to direct cooling air around them. Only the front halves of the cylinders are therefore visible. Here's a rear view of the Jacobs engine as installed in the T-50 showing the baffles in place:

Rt Rear View of Engine

And here's an exploded view of the baffles:

Engine Cooling Baffles

And here's an image of the landing gear showing what appears to be a normally compressed oleo strut:

Landing Gear

I have both the complete Parts Manual and the Erection and Maintenance Manual for the T-50 (military versions). If there are other illustrations of items that you might think you need, just ask!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Those "half engines" are more accurate than you would think. Most — possibly all — radial aircraft engines are fitted with baffles between the cylinders to direct cooling air around them. Only the front halves of the cylinders are therefore visible. Here's a rear view of the Jacobs engine as installed in the T-50 showing the baffles in place:

Thanks, Michael!

I believe some radial engines do not have baffles, but it seems this one has them, as per your illustrations. The kit's engines lack detail, and doesn't have the oil sump or carb intake, hence the replacement, but thanks again for pointing out to the detail of the baffles, which I totally missed.

I appreciate the generous offer, but, in this particular case, the less I know the happier I will be, given that this is a (relatively) quickie to have some relaxing fun -as stated at the beginning-. I even shunned away from performing the usual tricks, like lowering the flaps, deflecting the elevators, or opening the door. My knowledge of this type of plane is scarce -to say the very least-, and not my usual cuppa (as noted already by fellow BMers!) hence a bit outside of my sphere of interest. I have in the stash a somewhat similar project, a Percival Vega gull, a kit that I deem in more or less the same league, again not my area of interest, but potentially another "fun" project in the intervals between dealing with dragons.

I think this kit in the good hands of knowledgeable modelers like yourself has a lot of potential, and wouldn't be surprised if there is -or will soon be- a nice after market resin/photo-etched set to improve it. Moreover: I have to confess that I also bought the Amodel Taylor JT-1/2 dual kit, after seeing it built here at BM.

You guys are such a bad influence! I will have to pay for these "normal" builds karma working my monk's behind on some esoteric vacs/resins/short run kits later on, no doubt!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just realized that I had "Cessna's Golden Age", by Abel, Abel and Matt, and "Cessna, A master's expression" by Phillips.

The former has several pages on the T-50/Crane/Bobcat, but not much unfortunately on the civil side of things.

The latter has much more interesting things for me in general, as it features many Cessna civil types of the esoteric sort I love, but not much again on the T-50 that interested me.

Who would have known that references are to be studied before you build the kit!

Also: it seems that there is no such things as a quickie build, it's a modeling urban myth.

Darn you, Space Rangers! :wall:👾🚀

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Moa said:

I was so proud after assembling my wife's bicycle without a hitch, but then she asked me if it was as complicated as assembling the car you are building! I almost cried with my pride shattered!

Ah, but you only need to show your wife this project:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077786-fokker-f32-the-mighty-behemoth-modified-execuform-172nd-vacuform/

It will easily dwarf even a hyper modern advanced vertical muscle driven data disc recorder kit, and possibly even a Citroën...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1