The Ultimate G-FIRE thread - Spitfire Mk. XIV, Spencer Flack

So Santa was kind enough to wrap one of Airfix’s new 1/48 Spitfire “Civilian Scheme’ kits, which has been warmly received from this happy recipient. Since its quick unwrapping, I’ve been trying to study as many available online photos as possible and do think that perhaps there are a few minor corrections that could be incorporated to help make this nice boxing more accurate. 

So far I have noticed the following- 

1.  No Reflector Gunsight fitted to G-FIRE (Part E05). 

2. Unlikely incorporation of Seat Amour (Parts A22 & D39). 

3. Cockpit assembly is painted Black rather than the suggested Humbrol 78 (Grey Green) and 11 (Silver). 

4. Cockpit Door Crow Bar painted ‘Red’. 

5. The internal parts of the underwing radiators were painted white (Airfix suggest Red - Hu 19). 

6. The lower wing bracing structure that makes up the undercarriage bay were painted white (Airfix suggest Hu 11). 

7. Most if not all photos show four cannon barrels fitted, although Airfix do acknowledge this issue.

These are just ‘my’ observations and I do not claim that they are correct or that changes may have occurred over the life of this aircraft. I would be happy to hear if anyone has additional photographs to confirm or deny any of these or any other possible correction suggestions. I would be especially grateful if any photos could be provided to confirm the cockpit seat colour as well.

These two website links were used to compile the list above - Air Britain , Airlines.net

Cheers and thanks for your input and assistance.. Dave 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So Santa was kind enough to wrap one of Airfix’s new 1/48 Spitfire “Civilian Scheme’ kits, which has been warmly received from this happy recipient. Since its quick unwrapping, I’ve been trying to study as many available online photos as possible and do think that perhaps there are a few minor corrections that could be incorporated to help make this nice boxing more accurate. 

So far I have noticed the following- 

5. The internal parts of the underwing radiators were be painted white (Airfix suggest Red - Hu 19). 

6. The lower wing bracing structure that makes up the undercarriage bay were painted white (Airfix suggest Hu 11).

Cheers and thanks for your input and assistance.. Dave 

Have just checked out my slides of this and can only clarify #5 & #6 from your list. 

5. The insides of the underwing radiators were white in 1981 but repainted red in 1982-83.

6. The lower wing undercarriage bracing strut is painted white. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Space Ranger said:

Are there 1/72 decals for this beautiful aircraft?

Yes.. Draw Decals have released a sheet in all the popular scales. This should serve you well. 

Link - https://www.drawdecal.com/spitfire-xiv-g-fire-released/

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes.. Draw Decals have released a sheet in all the popular scales. This should serve you well. 

Link - https://www.drawdecal.com/spitfire-xiv-g-fire-released/

Thanks! And I just the other day sent an order to Draw Decals. Guess I'll be sending another shortly!

• Like 1

The visible fuselage and head armour brace underneath the canopy are red, rather than black or cockpit green.

Also referring to the image on this link, there doesn't appear to be a fuel filler neck under the canopy either:

https://images.app.goo.gl/2AjDVym7kSeXqLkE8/

Question:

Airfix supply two types of exhaust stub. Which is correct: Flared or round? (I chose round for mine, as they looked closer to the online reference photos).

Edited by David A Collins
  • Thanks 1

Also, referring to the photo in the link.

The white parts underneath the fuselage must be part of the nav/radio fit. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will be able to say what they are?

https://images.app.goo.gl/UDTY589HEcZqMwdH6/

If it helps, I used spare cannon shrouds from a 1/48 Eduard Mk.VIII kit.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Thanks 1

Or use the leftover cannons from the Edmonton version on G-FIRE (yes I plan to do both :P ).

IIRC at some stage, the guns were fitted with lights, including on the positions that would be used with .303 machine guns  - those last ones are visible on some pictures.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Or use the leftover cannons from the Edmonton version on G-FIRE (yes I plan to do both

I’m sure you’re not the only one. Now although I’d like this thread to concentrate on G-FIRE, I do believe the Canadian racer requires the upper wing canon blisters to be removed. This will also assist applying that large #80 decal. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 26/12/2020 at 03:11, Space Ranger said:

Are there 1/72 decals for this beautiful aircraft?

Here's mine I did a few weeks ago.

2x5qF3.jpg

A9P00A.jpg

ISyrSb.jpg

tVbjRy.jpg

Spitfire XIV 1/72nd on FIRE - Ready for Inspection - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

• Like 1

I remember G-Fire flying out of Elstree when I was a kid. Even though I lived about two miles from the airfield, I could hear the roar of her Merlin as she took off. Those are some very happy childhood memories. 

Chris. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I remember G-Fire flying out of Elstree when I was a kid. Even though I lived about two miles from the airfield, I could hear the roar of her Merlin as she took off. Those are some very happy childhood memories. 

Chris. 

Griffon engine you mean😉

By the way the exhaust stacks were painted in a special heat resistant white finish.  Main undercart legs  white as too inner faces of doors, tailwheel bay too. A sort of straight but cranked whip aerial behind cockpit too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul J said:

By the way the exhaust stacks were painted in a special heat resistant white finish.

Thanks for pointing this out Paul, there are photos that confirm this as well as some photographs that show a typical burnt metallic colour. I’m also now confused as I see both round and shrouded exhaust fitted at various stages? 

Still finding little details... can I also suggest using the radial threaded wheels rather than the diamond treaded ones. Thankfully Airfix provide a number of wheel options which is nice of them. 

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Here's mine I did a few weeks ago.

Spitfire XIV 1/72nd on FIRE - Ready for Inspection - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Don't understand why  link doesn't work to my 1/72nd build  in RFI.

Hope you don't mind me barging in, but in case these are of any use please feel free to use them. First is Biggin Hill, 17 May 1981:

Biggin Hill 17May81 (19)

Then Elstree, 3 July 1982:

Elstree 03Jul82 (4)

And West Malling, 1982 or 83 I think. Oh to have had a better camera and unlimited film!

West Malling (15)

West Malling (17)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of all things Spencer Flack, I see Draw Decals ( ex Red Pegasus) have G-SPIT, G-FURY and G-HUNT decals in 1/48 on their website again.  They were not available for a while.  So I guess I didn’t miss Airfix announcing a G-HUNT kit in their 2021 new kits? I guess the straight edge wing might be a challenge 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bar side said:

So I guess I didn’t miss Airfix announcing a G-HUNT kit in their 2021 new kits?

They haven't, no. But thanks for reminding me I still need to get the Fury for that one :D

On 12/26/2020 at 6:46 AM, David A Collins said:

Also, referring to the photo in the link.

The white parts underneath the fuselage must be part of the nav/radio fit. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will be able to say what they are?

https://images.app.goo.gl/UDTY589HEcZqMwdH6/

If it helps, I used spare cannon shrouds from a 1/48 Eduard Mk.VIII kit.

The large white blob is probably an ADF antenna. The other two may be a DME and transponder aerials. 

Typically on WW2 era aircraft. The ADF antenna was the classic loop. But the principle remains the same. 

Both the DME and Transponder would be quite small blade antennas. In other photos you can see small

bent wire type, probably VHF aerials above and below the fuselage. 

Oops better explain: ADF: Automatic Direction Finder. DME: Distance measuring equipment. 

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1