Correct radiators Academy 1/48 Spitfire XIV?

Syde_Burns

I have an old Academy 1/48 Spitfire XIV on the workbench. I 'm going to correct and convert it into a XIX. I have the Aerclub mk.21 conversion kit to correct the fuselage. But can use the Aeroclub underwing radiators to correct the Academy kit radiators?

1 hour ago, Syde_Burns said:

I have an old Academy 1/48 Spitfire XIV on the workbench. I 'm going to correct and convert it into a XIX. I have the Aerclub mk.21 conversion kit to correct the fuselage. But can use the Aeroclub underwing radiators to correct the Academy kit radiators?

Hi,

unless you like hacking and chopping, just buy an Airfix PR XIX if you want a XIX, as there is a lot of work to get an XIX. re do wing panelling, add camera windows,  add pressure wall to cockpit,  fill in door, find a PR windscreen.....  all done in the Airfix kit.  

And, that is after you fix the  Academy  wing, which  is too thick and too broad on chord.

48965058131_871fb02178_b.jpg50620909 by losethekibble, on Flickr

the white wing is an ICM wing, note the too broad chord front and back.  Not hard to fix, take out ailerons, reshape.

the wing is maybe 1 mm too thick, being 8 mm deep, should be 7, and is noticeable, this is a reshaped Academy nose,  which is too deep, on an unmodified wing. you can see one you thing the wing, this then take out the depth problem

48952682391_05e14f53e7_c.jpgSpit academy nose mod DSCF0709_zpssziaklh8 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The only accurate in shape bit of the Academy kit is the tail.   It IS pretty much all fixable, as the errors are of things being too big,   with a load work, and an aftermarket spinner.    (the Daco nose does not deal with the too deep fuselage/too thick wing BTW is not very good) 

Note,  you could sell the Aeroclub 21 fuselage for more than a Pr XIX kit I suspect, as these are long OOP, and in demand for Mk.21 and highback XIV conversions.    

To sum up, unless you really really like fixing kits, this is the hard way to make a PR XIX.     Just get the Airfix kit.   I know its OOP at the moment,  they are about, I have, erm , too many if you really want one. 

HTH?  Questions? 

cheers

T

• Like 2