Aussie Gannet, 2020 Christmas gift (Classic Airframes1/48)

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

I'm just guessing here but it seems that you have some issues with nasty resin-ney bits 😃

Thanks for the cheer though!

I cannot actually put a finger on it but...

My 1/72 scale Frog Gannet was a happy recipient of resin but other uses have been, fraught.

• 1 year later...

Now, where was I?

Let's see the house is built,painted and weathered. The pergola and wooden deck is sort of done and preparations for the stone-tiled patio are under way.

Modelling?

Well, there are a few hours left on the vacation, so why not pick up something old, and finish it?

It did work with the Voodoo...

And the Shackleton is also resting a bit (it got started during the Big and British GB)

We had a small modelling competition at F10 Museum during the weekend and I sort of just happened to start a Viggen, while sitting in the shadow of one, but I also brought the Gannet!

I didn't really remember all the conundrums from last year, so I just started to attach the wings, just because!

It took a long time to wrestle them into something that was passable:
52276320020_41377537c5_k.jpg
The right wing root has a little less gap than the left one, but should be ok with some filler I hope.
52275856598_7c0374862b_k.jpg
It's the other way around on the bottom naturally, but all lines up fairly decently and the rest will be solved with filler.

Probably lots of it...or maybe a plastic strip or two.
52276320010_fa210ce12f_k.jpg

But it's a Gannet! And quite a big one once the wings are on.

Very heavy too!

Also had a little look at the Allycat weapon set.

Those 18" Mk 30 torpedoes does not look like a 2022 state of the art resin casting.
52274861787_21e9f38e5b_k.jpg

52276099369_d6a6cc1341_k.jpg

Well, it is a handcrafted piece, done before everyone and their uncle owned a 3D printer...

It looks to me that it will be some hard work to get them to look decent.

I wonder if I should do some CAD here and try to have it 3D printed by someone?

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

One year almost since the last update? Where does the time fly?
Well, the Airfix release is coming closer by the hour so it's about time to do something about this one, perhaps even finish it!

I enjoyed a 4 day banking holiday during 18-21:th of May and almost all of that time was spent at a summer camp for grownups...

Yep, my IPMS chapter had rented a place where the Home guard usually resides but now we nerds occupied the place instead, stinking the place down with TETC, thinners and bad puns.

A great time was had for all, and this Gannet got some attention too!

I started with adding back the rear ribs in the bomb bay. 6 of them was removed at either side in order to get a decent fit into the fuselage.
52915199455_8910dec369_o.jpg
With that stuff out of the way, let's focus a bit on the nose area.
Some more nose weight was added, but all I had to use at the summer camp was Liquid Gravl ty and white glue. One tend to pour those  balls all over the place, but most of them stuck to the nose area. If one has a set pocket to fill it would work nicely but in an open fuselage it's a bit more risky.

The nose piece itself is another infamous part of this kit. It does not fit properly since it's a bit smaller than the plastic part.

On the other hand, If you're not removing some resin from the sides of the nose bay it'll also lead to problems, not much to do about that now though!

Some black slow setting CA glue later and here we are.
52915199455_8910dec369_o.jpg
Rock solid!

It still tips on it's nose as well, so the balance is good.

One final beauty show before we hit the paint stage

52915274753_84e42262d9_o.jpg

Final thing to do was to mask up the transparencies. I had manage to dig up an old Eduard mask set that was put to use, but this one really didn't live up to the normal Eduard standard.

The cutting process had failed on most of the cuts, so I had to make small cuts with a scalpel to get them loose.

The next fun thing was the transparencies themselves. They were either too narrow, too long or overly wide.

Fortunately, the piece that is too narrow is actually going under the front canopy when the latter is opened, so that saves me!

For the painting, I tried to do things a little bit different, so with a black primers, I sprayed a solid coat of (Gunze) Extra Dark Sea Grey on top.

That looked a bit dark (and dull) so I started to mask off a few panels here and there and spray (Gunze) Dark Sea Gray on those, thinking that they're probably quite close.
52915199405_02604441bc_o.jpg
Boy, was I wrong!
52914972249_19783aa1d0_o.jpg
This might be because of a very dark EDSG, I don't know.
Not to let that stop me, I tore out a few spatter masks and went to work with light grey and olive drab.
52914819471_ce2972863e_o.jpg
This might be more proper for a US navy machine in the TPS scheme in the 80s....

Anyway, one final thin coat of EDSG to marry it all together and this was the result
52914819626_d91331c10e_o.jpg

Nice!

• Like 7

Hi Christer - I'm glad to see you moving along with this Gannet again - I have always been interested in what the Classic Airframes kit and the Alleycat weapons bay were like, and your build shows this very nicely. I'm currently working my way through a Dynavector Gannet scratch building various bit & pieces as I haven't got into 3D printing(YET!) - look forward to your next update.

Edited by CJP
text

It's Gannet season! Suspect well see quite a flock of them when the new Airfix 1/48 comes out.   Great progress towards the finish line. 

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo it's great to see this back on the bench and great progress with some paint too. Looking good. Great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I'm looking forward to painting the Sky areas...

8 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Krista - I'm glad to see you moving along with this Gannet again - I have always been interested in what the Classic Airframes kit and the Alleycat weapons bay were like, and your build shows this very nicely. I'm currently working my way through a Dynavector Gannet scratch building various bit & pieces as I haven't got into 3D printing(YET!) - look forward to your next update.

Thanks! Your Dynavector example is magnificent!

The weapons bay resin is made by a very talented scratchbuilder, that's for sure , and a lot better than what I can do. However, I'm petty certain that a 3D print would be a better solution now!

I'm starting to consider to go that route in the future, but currently lacks the space to do so. On the other hand, the eldest daughter will probably move to a university next year, and that will open up a few possibilites!

3 hours ago, ianwau said:

It's Gannet season! Suspect well see quite a flock of them when the new Airfix 1/48 comes out.   Great progress towards the finish line. 

Thanks!

Yeah, I need to finish early to avoid the rush 😉

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!

No signs of the Airfix offering yet, so I might still make it...

More painting then, this time of the Sky variety.
One could have opted for a preshade, marbling, splatter masks and so on but I choose to paint a fairly solid tone of Real Color sky, masked off a few panels and shot a little Tamiya Sky on that.
I had an inkling to mask of a few other panels and paint them with Gunze sky but I didn't have any pots so instead I masked off a few panels and shot some Tamiya smoke instead:
52983709826_11e77bdde4_o.jpg

52983106857_39cfeb0281_o.jpg

Oh dear. A bit too heavy for my liking so a thin coat Real Color Sky on was needed.

52983855479_ee18ace70e_o.jpg
That's more like it!
A few touch ups here and there, and then a gloss coat:
52984170978_e0a65647fd_o.jpg
52984170983_96fc6e0dda_o.jpg

And now the best bit: removal of all masking tape!
52984083820_9a40aae778_o.jpg
52984083830_962bf87b6b_o.jpg

Stickers time!

I wonder how those Classic Airframes decals will behave?

• Like 6