Aussie Gannet, 2020 Christmas gift (Classic Airframes1/48)

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Exactly my response when this mob of unprincipled rogues, ruffians and reprobates tried to get me doing it to my little Froglet.

Stand by your guns, never surrender!

Do you have pictures of the bomb bay?

Nah, that wing-fold is crazy complicated, I wont budge a micrometer on this.

Wings will be spread.

Pictures of the bay can be  found here

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/fairey-gannet-weapons-bay-classic-airframes-6362-p.asp

Weapons here

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/fairey-gannet-internal-weapons-set-classic-airframes-6363-p.asp

• Like 1

So, what has happened on the actual plastic parts that I have?
Well, I decided to sand down the trailing edges of the wings, but since sanding sticks will flex too much I decided to use a large sheet of sandpaper.

I bought a really cheap 10 pack off a local hardware store and went to work.
50825186103_3a7e2f2818_o.jpg
This no-brand paper was of real terrible quality and it quite a lot of the sand comes loose when using it. Once again you get what you pay for...
Despite this, I managed to get the thickness down to an acceptable level and started to glue everything together.

Usually I use TETC for everything, but I know from experience that it's a bit  hard to use on larger surfaces since it evaporates so quickly.
Instead I used the standard Tamiya stuff....
50826025712_44c837e8db_o.jpg
This gunk does not evaporate as fast, and works quite well except that it does not weld the pieces together in the same way as TETC

This means that it adds height!
My precious sanded trailing edges were now  separated by thin layer of glue, and I was almost back at the same thickness as when I started.

I didn't discover this until the day after gluing the left wig (only) so trying to break it apart didn't work at all.
Call me crazy but I actually brought fourth a rather nifty saw and split the wings using that.
That lead to the first application of filler, but this is after all a Classic Airframes model!
50825931566_1c0f2f9d9e_o.jpg

50825931556_530c87a335_o.jpg

Oh well, I hope that it will look all right after some sanding.

I also cut out the position lights and made an attempt that's supposed to be a landing light:

50826025652_00a82cd5d4_o.jpg

On the wing I also discovered a familiar pattern
50825186018_4377a2b2a8_o.jpg

Doesn't that look like a lot like attachment points for rocket rails?

Looking at a walkaround here at BM:
Walkaround

There is nothing provided in the kit what I can see, so there is only one option left:

CAD and 3D-print my own!

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Bob!

I'll leave the wings for a bit, to shift my focus to the innards.

A bomb bay was ordered from Alleycat on the 8:th of January, but I guess the rickshaw carrying it has some Covid and Brexit issues to get from UK to Sweden(where upon the arrival it will get lost in the notorious postal company PostNord, but I digress).
There are other things to occupy my time, like a cockpit.
What you get in the kit for the front cockpit is this:
50856960681_b9df6c6e5c_o.jpg
The control column is a bit coarse, but serviceable, and there was a nasty air bubble in the left  resin cockpit wall that needed trimming.
The instrument panel lacks all dial as such, but hopefully a smattering of Airscales instrument decals can solve most of that.

I don't really see a need to superdetail that much here in the front.
Here's what you get for the mid cockpit:
50856961036_30c569a30b_o.jpg

Strangely enough CA instructs me to use a swiveling set pan with a loose back, but from the walkaround here on BM it  sees that this is supposed  to be a one piece seat.
Fortunately, there is a complete seat for use at the rear, so I'll nick that one. Also, this seat appears to be in metal, but the pilots one is in  the not-at-all-bakelite-material that was used in Spitfire seats..

The rather big  piece of resin for the instrument  panel looks quite lumpy from the  front and rear, but I do have a plan here.
Also, I think it could be fun to add more  wires, boxes and  stuff, just to busy it up a  bit.

The rear cockpit then.
50856961011_a35524debd_o.jpg
Well, it's quite plain at least from the number of parts  used. The seat is to be swapped, and there needs to be more stuff here and there but the worst part is for sure that instrument  panel.

If I squint, and look through a pair of socks then it sort of resembles the real thing. 

Maybe I could 3D print a replacement? Sounds like something that needs to be  done!

But first, lets work with what we have. The front bulkhead behind the pilots seat needs to be opened up, like this:
50856960931_abfeb96fb6_o.jpg
The shelf on the other side does not fully match it in height (it's a bit low) but I think it will work anyway.
50857054517_e10ff7d175_o.jpg
Cutting off those rudder pedals from their resin pour stub was NOT for the faint of heart! The contraption is very flimsy, with the cutting surfaces being the actual foot side of the pedal!

I was convinced that it would break somewhere as I sawed it, but I was lucky and it came out in one piece. Whew!
50856960831_103feaa7dd_o.jpg
The radar and assorted instruments were cut off, since this area now is visible from the front. Two holes were also opened up on the top surface, and is now ready to receive some greebling to busy it up.

Product endorsement! 

Fly fishers have a lot  of interesting  things to enrich the  modelling  experience. The rubber tube is especially great to simulate cable connectors and such.

Not  to mention that the lead wire is a  lot cheaper there than at the model stores!
50856960796_26428e9dcd_o.jpg
So here is finally the finished panel
50856960741_31a0cf624a_o.jpg
50857054267_aa3430d2cf_o.jpg

How do you like it?

Sådär blev det till slut.
Nu får man snygga till lite kanter och sen får man väl dra ännu mer kablar antar jag?

Thanks Chris!

Cutting the wing apart was the only way to thin it down again. 

I have a feeling that this project will taka a long time...

• Like 11

I managed to quit the job early today, so what is better than to sit at the same spot using the same computer, but working for yourself instead?

Just started to whip together a few thingies to spruce up the interior.

First, a second radar for the rearwards facing guy (he must surely have a proper title?)

50863366772_8abe47ec21_o.png

Second, there is a gear of some sort right between the rudder pedals, and that could be fun to have too.

50863366732_343953f11d_o.png

I won't go full crazy in detailing these, since at 3x4 mm in size there is no  real point in detailing further.

Time to do the rear bulkhead and other stuff.

Edit: Started to add to the rear panel.

50862667503_5a48008aa6_o.png

I need to construct a bracket to hold the radar, and preferably an inner bulkhead that everything can be attached to.

Luckily, the walkaround here on BM is excellent!

A big bog thank you to @venomvixen and her dad Steven -Long!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I received a packege:
50893496156_ae03ed20de_o.jpg
This little package has braved all sorts of idiosyncratic postal services, customs, freight companies and a pandemic.

It should ideally be placed on a pedestal somewhere to commemorate the perilous journey, but instead it was sent to the recycle bin...
But I was after the content really, not the wrappings
50892782423_16a5116267_o.jpg

50892782403_2e50704479_o.jpg

In it was off course the weapons bay and the weapons set! The set is of high quality, made by hand by someone with great scratch-building skills, without ever harming any pixels in a CAD program.
Some areas of the bay are a bit wobbly though but nothing I can't live with. There is a  one page description in color that is much better at detailing what needs to be  done than what Aires ever has done, so that is a plus!
They recommend to glue the fuselage together first, and then cut off the bay doors and then click the bay into place. I wonder if that really is the best approach? Anyway, I started with cutting of the doors.
50893612872_1226e9352b_o.jpg
While doing that I realized how massive that bay actually is! Add the trash can radar, 3-man crew, engine, fuel and a structure that must  be strong enough to withstand carrier landing it's now wonder that the Gannet shape is what it is.  Well, the guys at Fairey did a good job  with the design, that's for sure!

Especially when compared to the Blackburn B-54/B-88 Contender. 🤮

Let's dryfit the bay to check how it goes.
50893496001_61aed4b881_o.jpg

The instructions calls for removal of the shelf underneath the wing  spar, and when doing that you get thee bay to the  right depth.
But the forward bulkhead is clearly in conflict with the resin nose  gear bay. If I'm to follow the Alleycat instructions her, I should cut off the rear of the nose gear bay and let the wepon bay bulkhead replace it
50893496026_8033a92757_o.jpg

I think the nosegear bay bulkhead looks a bit better, so I'll keep  that instead and sand of the protruding parts on the weapons bay instead.

How well  does it fit then?
50892782288_e8ea474030_o.jpg
Oh dear.

The fit at front ad rear  is less than good...

I guess the bay is bit shorter due to resin shrinkage?
The doors that I removed was carefully sanded to match the existing panel lines, and the new doors does match !
And someone did sand the bay a bit too vigorously, so it has an unwanted angle to it...
50893612832_9d18ce020a_o.jpg
Well, there is only one thing to do then! Extend the by forwards
50893612772_063cb9b06c_o.jpg
A few piece of plastic  strips suitably sanded to shape worked like a charm
50893612747_de61da9518_o.jpg
I think that  gap can be just glued shut with some applied pressure.

With the basic fit of the bay sorted it's time to plan ahead to another important topic.

Balance.

I started to fill the leading edge a  bit with lead pellets, but that wont help much,
50893495906_b702884ea2_o.jpg
On top of the weapons bay is another great  area:
50893612702_760043fd72_o.jpg
This can't even balance the weapons  bay. 

Oh dear.

Does anyone have a decent stash of depleted uranium?

• Like 9

Looking great. It is an ungainly looking bird, but is beautiful in its own way!

The Gannet needs a huge amount of weight to stop it being a tail sitter.

Regards the DU, i know of some Iraqi 'Buisnessmen' that may be able to help. The story of their last client mysteriously disappearing along with his DeLorean and a suspiciously old looking teenager is entirely ficticious. Honest ;) 

On 02/02/2021 at 09:40, CJP said:

Great work so far Krister - looking forward to see how the build develops & tips along the way

CJP

Thanks!

I like the kit, warts and all :)

On 02/02/2021 at 10:25, SteveMc said:

Coming along nicely Krister.

Thanks Steve!

On 02/02/2021 at 10:51, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Christer,  ahem re the Uranium,  I know a guy, who knows a guy...😉

Getting there now 

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Is your guy a former A10 armorer? A round from a GAU-8 should provide sufficient DU to last a lifetime 😎

22 hours ago, Muddyf said:

Looking great. It is an ungainly looking bird, but is beautiful in its own way!

The Gannet needs a huge amount of weight to stop it being a tail sitter.

Regards the DU, i know of some Iraqi 'Buisnessmen' that may be able to help. The story of their last client mysteriously disappearing along with his DeLorean and a suspiciously old looking teenager is entirely ficticious. Honest ;) 

Thanks!

I agree about the Gannet look. It is kind of beautiful!

It sounds like your business associates were also able to provide not only Uranium but also 1.21 Jiggawatts? Great Scott!

No plastic modelling done recently but I managed to spend an hour detailing the rear instrument panel

50906626583_d81d0a69f4_o.png

Still needs a few more boxes and shelves I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Thanks Chris!

Is your guy a former A10 armorer? A round from a GAU-8 should provide sufficient DU to last a lifetime 😎

You know them too

It sounds like your business associates were also able to provide not only Uranium but also 1.21 Jiggawatts? Great Scott!

Still needs a few more boxes and shelves I think.

And a Flux Capacitor!!!

Chris

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2021 at 08:17, Christer A said:

Does anyone have a decent stash of depleted uranium?

I believe @general melchett did have some but word is that he sent it off to the jewellers to get a matching set of necklace, bracelet and ear rings for Lady Melchett's birthday. The last I heard was that Lady M was positively glowing.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4